The Real meaning of The Sons of God in Gen.6

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 12, 2011
I believe I have heard a word from the Lord on this subject.
That's the reason for the New thread.

This was what I heard:

"They were and are,.....The ones who have Heavenly Abilities, But with
Earthly desires."

My understanding is they were and are those who have been called and given
certain gifts to follow on to know Him, but never seem to quite overcome the desires of the flesh.
This is why Satan is seen with them in Job.
This is why Jesus says, they were of their Father the Devil and the Lust of their Father they would
do. John 8:44

Their purpose is not of God, but of their own belly.
And they Profit much because of this.

Heavenly Abilities, in this sense they are Divine, because the gifts and calling of God is without Repentance. Rom.11:29
Earthly desires, in this sense Human, because of Gain and Reconition. Mat. 23:1---

In this chapter alone, The Religous Scribes and Pharisees, were called Hypocrites, Brood of Vipers,
and Serpents, By Jesus Himself. And for those who do not know the meaning of Hypocrites,
it means to be an actor, under an assumed Character.
They are wolves in sheeps clothing.

I believe with all my heart that this is the Real meaning and warning of our day.
And they are on every street corner, and cause divisions, and dissention, not to mention
much confusion. "Babylon"

2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Remember, Jesus did not have a problem with sinners, He had a problem with those who say they see, and see not, therefore their sin remains.

Joh 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

This is not open for debate by me, it is a witness.

Blessings

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I used to think that sons of God in Gen. 6 meant angels. It seemed to make sense. But then I was shown Gen. 4:26

Genesis 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

These men were the sons of God referenced in Gen. 6

Oct 12, 2011
I used to think that sons of God in Gen. 6 meant angels. It seemed to make sense. But then I was shown Gen. 4:26

Genesis 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

Yes, they were men, with a Zeal for God but not according to Knowledge.
He came to His own and His own knew Him not.

Rom 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
Rom 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Blessings

shemaiah

Jan 28, 2011
Wait, I thought angels are sons of God... Coz Daniel 3: 25 says "He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God." and later on Nebuchadnezzar calls the fourth an angel of the Lord. Also in job 1:6 the bible says the sons of God gathered and Job 2:1 and Job 38:7 also say the same thing.

Oct 12, 2011
Jud 1:11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.
Jud 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

Oct 12, 2011
Gen 4:26 And to Seth,H8352 to himH1931 alsoH1571 there was bornH3205 a son;H1121 and he calledH7121 (H853) his nameH8034 Enos:H583 thenH227 beganH2490 men to callH7121 upon the nameH8034 of the LORD.H3068

khaw-lal' Began H2490
A primitive root (compare H2470); properly to bore, that is, (by implication) to wound, to dissolve; figuratively to profane (a person, place or thing), to break (one’s word), to begin (as if by an opening-wedge); denominatively (from H2485) to play (the flute): - begin (X men began), defile, X break, defile, X eat (as common things), X first, X gather the grape thereof, X take inheritance, pipe, player on instruments, pollute, (cast as) profane (self), prostitute, slay (slain), sorrow, stain, wound.

kaw-raw' Men to call H7121
A primitive root (rather identical with H7122 through the idea of accosting a person met); to call out to (that is, properly address by name, but used in a wide variety of applications): - bewray [self], that are bidden, call (for, forth, self, upon), cry (unto), (be) famous, guest, invite, mention, (give) name, preach, (make) proclaim (-ation), pronounce, publish, read, renowned, say.

shame Upon the name H8034
A primitive word (perhaps rather from H7760 through the idea of definite and conspicuous position; compare H8064); an appellation, as a mark or memorial of individuality; by implication honor, authority, character: - + base, [in-] fame [-ous], name (-d), renown, report.

Men, profaned, defiled, caused a wound or wedge, etc....in addressing
The character of God.

That is what is meant in this verse.

Jun 24, 2010

Go to this link and read what Clarence Larkin has to say on this. It's interesting (pages 20-23).

Rightly dividing the Word - Clarence Larkin - Google Books

Oct 31, 2011
The ancient sages said that the Sons of God came from Seth who called on the name of the Lord. A major principle of God is to keep separate. The Sons of God were to keep separate from the Daughters of Man. The ancient sages said that the Daughters of Man were descendants from Cain. Seth descendants began to marry Cain's descendants who lead them to the worship of idols and away from the One True God. .