The Reproach of Adultery

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 24, 2010
In studying (Prov 6) concerning the things that the Lord hates in relationship to the sins of the tongue, I came across verses 32,33 that say the following...

32 [But] whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he [that] doeth it destroyeth his own soul.
33 A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away.

There are four specific things in these two verses that result from committing adultery; destruction, a wound, dishonor and reproach.

Before I even exegeted these verses I asked this question, 'Does the truth that this passage seem to convey apply to the story of David and his adultery with Bathsheba, and if it does, how was his soul destroyed and what was the wound and dishonor he recieved and what was the reproach that was not wiped away? What about the Samaritan woman that Jesus met at Jacob's well in Sychar who had five husbands and the one she was with was not her husband in (Jn 4:4-18). Did any of these also happen to her?'

Secondly, does the truth of this passage apply also to what Christ said in (Mt 5:28)...

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Are there those who are guilty committing adultery in their heart suffering from the same (4) things that are described in (Prov 6:32,33)? If those that have committed and given place to the sin of the flesh of adultery, do these (4) things follow them wherever they go or can God's redemption remove this reproach through the goodness and mercy of God that the scripture teach shall never be wiped away?

D

dmdave17

Dear Red33,

In response to your question, I would offer Isaiah 38, verse 17, "Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish. In your love you kept me from the pit of destruction; you have put all my sins behind your back." (emphasis added)

I believe that while we suffer many consequences for committing adultery (..."because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son."), we are ultimately forgiven through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. Jesus, himself, told us, "Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter,..." (Mark 3:28)

But this does not mean that the adulterer will not face severe consequences for his/her actions while still on this earth. From physical illness to unimaginable emotional distress, the "wages" of this sin are many.

D

dene

Why do you weigh one sin as more destructive than all sin! Although adultry is wrong, all sin is wrong and the wage of all sin is death. Thanks be to Jesus that we are saved from our due payment!

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
One sin is the same as another.

However, if one who belongs to Christ joins their body with a harlot, that is somehow even more sinful. The two become one. They have joined Christ to a harlot.

Sexual sins are some of the sins that take the deepest root in our lives. And they can and do cause some of the most trouble and pain and suffering.
David committed adultery, and murder to facilitate this adulterous affair. It cost the life of his son. And yet, God called him a man after His own heart.

The worst sins that men commit? Religious sins, where we negate the grace of God by religious beliefs.

Jun 24, 2010
There are many believers who have had problems in their marriage and adultery precipitated those problems that resulted in divorce and remarriage by both the guilty and innocent party. Forgiveness was absent from both parties and all attempts of reconciliation from both sides failed.

Have these believers been locked into being casualties of does God have a plan through the mercy and grace of His redemption to restore both the innocent and guilty parties in these circumstances to once again be believers that walk in the light and love of God and once again be Spirit-filled believers living by faith in what God has called them to do?

Does God's redemption provide for such malady?

May 21, 2009
In studying (Prov 6) concerning the things that the Lord hates in relationship to the sins of the tongue, I came across verses 32,33 that say the following...

32 [But] whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he [that] doeth it destroyeth his own soul.
33 A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away.

There are four specific things in these two verses that result from committing adultery; destruction, a wound, dishonor and reproach.

Before I even exegeted these verses I asked this question, 'Does the truth that this passage seem to convey apply to the story of David and his adultery with Bathsheba, and if it does, how was his soul destroyed and what was the wound and dishonor he recieved and what was the reproach that was not wiped away? What about the Samaritan woman that Jesus met at Jacob's well in Sychar who had five husbands and the one she was with was not her husband in (Jn 4:4-18). Did any of these also happen to her?'

Secondly, does the truth of this passage apply also to what Christ said in (Mt 5:28)...

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Are there those who are guilty committing adultery in their heart suffering from the same (4) things that are described in (Prov 6:32,33)? If those that have committed and given place to the sin of the flesh of adultery, do these (4) things follow them wherever they go or can God's redemption remove this reproach through the goodness and mercy of God that the scripture teach shall never be wiped away?

James 4:2
You are jealous and covet [what others have] and your desires go unfulfilled; [so] you become murderers. [To hate is to murder as far as your hearts are concerned.] You burn with envy and anger and are not able to obtain [the gratification, the contentment, and the happiness that you seek], so you fight and war. You do not have, because you do not ask. [I John 3:15.]

May 21, 2009

James 4:2
You are jealous and covet [what others have] and your desires go unfulfilled; [so] you become murderers. [To hate is to murder as far as your hearts are concerned.] You burn with envy and anger and are not able to obtain [the gratification, the contentment, and the happiness that you seek], so you fight and war. You do not have, because you do not ask. [I John 3:15.]