The Servents Ear

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Curtis295

I was reading over the book of Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John. I knew there were some minor differences. But when reading Matthew, Mark, and Luke on Jesus being arrested The follower Peter, cuts of the servents ear, Jesus tells Peter to stop, and than Jesus proceeds to re attatch the ear.

However in the book of John to my knowledge, the servents ear is cut off, but John does not mention Jesus putting the ear back on.

Maybe this can not be answered but curiousity got to me.

Jan 8, 2009
That's why Jesus said "to he who has ears, let him hear".

Dec 19, 2009
Just because something isn’t mentioned in one book doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, does it?

C

Curtis295

Just because something isn’t mentioned in one book doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, does it?
I agree with you! but I was just wondering why it was diffent, i mean we know it happend because matthew, mark, and luke both testify to this. But i was wondering why it was different!

H

Harley_Angel

Well think of it this way, say you, your mom, your best friend, and some stranger off the street all go to see the same movie. Later you are asked to explain what happened in the movie. I bet each and every one of you gives a different summary even though you were at teh same movie, at the same time, at the same place. Different facts are simply more important to you than others. Some scenes stand out to you more than they would to your mom. Sometimes other people have a different way of looking at something than others. If you hand someone an apple and ask them to describe it, one person is going to say red, another might say round, another might say sweet, another might say smells good, another might wrinkle their nose. That's how the four gospels are. They all say the same thing, just in different ways. It's lucky we have 4 of them so that between all 4 we can get a much more diverse perspective.

Dec 19, 2009
I agree with you! but I was just wondering why it was diffent, i mean we know it happend because matthew, mark, and luke both testify to this. But i was wondering why it was different!
Perhaps John was unaware that Jesus had replaced the ear.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Well think of it this way, say you, your mom, your best friend, and some stranger off the street all go to see the same movie. Later you are asked to explain what happened in the movie. I bet each and every one of you gives a different summary even though you were at teh same movie, at the same time, at the same place. Different facts are simply more important to you than others. Some scenes stand out to you more than they would to your mom. Sometimes other people have a different way of looking at something than others. If you hand someone an apple and ask them to describe it, one person is going to say red, another might say round, another might say sweet, another might say smells good, another might wrinkle their nose. That's how the four gospels are. They all say the same thing, just in different ways. It's lucky we have 4 of them so that between all 4 we can get a much more diverse perspective.

Well said Harley-Angel, thats your answer curtis. :)

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Mat/Mark/Luke are very similar Most Scholars agree that Mark was the basis of all 3 synoptic gospels (optic= see, syn =together), whereas John, wrote his himself. Matthew was particualarly writen to a jewish audience. mark explains jewish terms as does John, meaning it is recognised as being written for a broader readership. they tell the same story with different emphasis'.

Harley explained it for you.

good post curtis :)

C

Curtis295

Hey awsome thats a good answer! Thank you =)