The seven ‘I ams’ of Jesus.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Richie_2uk

The seven ‘I ams’ of Jesus.

What is God like! Is a popular question that frequently arises up everywhere and a good answer to that question is this “look at Jesus, he is God.” He shows what God is like.”
In the Bible there are seven occasions where Jesus said “I am”. Each one of them is recorded in the book of John’s gospel, which has no parables.

Jesus tells us a great deal about God’s divine character and answers to that question “what is God like?” Let’s look at the seven ‘I ams’

1 Bread:
John 6: 35. “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry.”

2 Light:
John 8: 12. “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness.”

3 Gate:
John 10: 9. “I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved.”

4 Good Shepherd:
John 10: 10. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

5 Resurrection and life:
John 11: 25. “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies.”

6 Way, Truth, Life:
John 14: 6. “I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the father except through me.”

7 True Vine:
John 15: 1. “I am the true vine. And my father is the gardener.”

To see what God is like? is to look at Jesus

R

roaringkitten

Interesting Richie, we also read in Exodus:

"And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel,
I Am hath sent me unto you." Exo 3:13-14

"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." John 8:58

R

Richie_2uk

Interesting Richie, we also read in Exodus:

"And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel,
I Am hath sent me unto you." Exo 3:13-14

"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." John 8:58
Very good, I know there are many more from other books, but the ones I was concentrating on were from the book of John, Hence why I stated each one is recorded from the book of John. but thank you for pointing out that there are more I ams in other books,

P

psychomom

To see what God is like? is to look at Jesus
amen!

i never can get my mind around statements like 'i like Jesus, but not the angry God of the Old Testament'. :confused:

the Lord Jesus says if you've seen Him, you've seen the Father.
and the writer to the Hebrews tells us the Lord Jesus is 'the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature'.

thanks, Richie :)

R

Richie_2uk

amen!

i never can get my mind around statements like 'i like Jesus, but not the angry God of the Old Testament'. :confused:

the Lord Jesus says if you've seen Him, you've seen the Father.
and the writer to the Hebrews tells us the Lord Jesus is 'the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature'.

thanks, Richie :)
Amen! :) Couldnt agree with you more.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Good post Richie,

Hopefully this post will jog our memories to look to Christ and to think about what he says about himself. I am sure it will be a blessing if we do.

And Amen psychomom.