The spirit of the antichrist: Faith vs Human Logic

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 18, 2011
Hey everybody,

I am writing this thread to know what everyone's opinions on this are, and to state some facts. I am talking about what it means to be antichrist, and also what it is to be in Christ, or to believe in Christ. Contrasting these two opposites, we can find that someone who is antichrist or has the spirit of the antichrist, is generally stuck on the level of human logic / reasoning, he is living entirely in his head - basically the natural / carnal mode of living and thinking.

St John the Apostle, tells us in his epistle, that the antichrist is a spirit:

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world."
(1John*4:1-6*NKJ)

He says in verses 1-6 there, that the antichrist is a spirit. This is a very interesting topic. How does one become a person of Christ or a person who believes in Christ?

St John says:

3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. (1John*4:3*NKJ)

He is talking about a spirit in both instances; that there is a spirit of Christ and a spirit of antichrist. Since they are spirits he is referring to, this means that belief in Christ is not a one time deal (like saying the Sinners Prayer kind of thing), but that faith in Christ is a spiritual reality that must be constantly affirmed and believed in. Again, this is not a one time mental affirmation like the Sinner's Prayer, but it is a living synergy and belief made real by love and hope, 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. (1John*4:8*NKJ)

This is a crucial subject. Because it tells us how to truly believe in Christ. I oftentimes have found myself drifting into outer-space on my walk, at times even thinking, "do I really believe in the incarnation of God?"

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2011
Hey everybody,

I am writing this thread to know what everyone's opinions on this are, and to state some facts. I am talking about what it means to be antichrist, and also what it is to be in Christ, or to believe in Christ. Contrasting these two opposites, we can find that someone who is antichrist or has the spirit of the antichrist, is generally stuck on the level of human logic / reasoning, he is living entirely in his head - basically the natural / carnal mode of living and thinking.

St John the Apostle, tells us in his epistle, that the antichrist is a spirit:

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world."
(1John*4:1-6*NKJ)

He says in verses 1-6 there, that the antichrist is a spirit. This is a very interesting topic. How does one become a person of Christ or a person who believes in Christ?

St John says:

3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. (1John*4:3*NKJ)

He is talking about a spirit in both instances; that there is a spirit of Christ and a spirit of antichrist. Since they are spirits he is referring to, this means that belief in Christ is not a one time deal (like saying the Sinners Prayer kind of thing), but that faith in Christ is a spiritual reality that must be constantly affirmed and believed in. Again, this is not a one time mental affirmation like the Sinner's Prayer, but it is a living synergy and belief made real by love and hope, 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. (1John*4:8*NKJ)

This is a crucial subject. Because it tells us how to truly believe in Christ. I oftentimes have found myself drifting into outer-space on my walk, at times even thinking, "do I really believe in the incarnation of God?"
FYI...

The 1John 4 passage is addressing those Docetic Gnostics that contended against an actual material manifestation of God within true human flesh; instead proposing Jesus to have been merely a projection or apparition of some substantial sort. A "holy hologram", if you will.

Aug 18, 2011
FYI...

The 1John 4 passage is addressing those Docetic Gnostics that contended for a non-material actual manifestation of God within true human flesh; instead proposing Jesus to have been merely a projection or apparition of some substantial sort. A "holy hologram", if you will.
It seems to me also that St John was talking about believing in Christ in general, and also warning us about the spirit of antichrist which denies Jesus Christ as come in the flesh.

How do we know for certain that He did come in the flesh as the Docetists say? St John was talking to every single one of us when he wrote that, because St John knew that we also may fall into this temptation of Docetism.

How can we know for certain that Christ was born in the flesh? No-one has ever seen Christ. Even St Thomas did not believe in Christ until he physically touched Him, and then Jesus responded by saying, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

25 The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord." So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."
26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!"
27 Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing."
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
29 Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book;
31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

(Joh*20:25-31*NKJ)

But nevertheless, those Epistles are called CATHOLIC (Universal), meaning they are for all Christians to read.

Last edited: