The tone of our debates

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
There's been some postings here lately about the tone of our debates, and how they devolve into arguing and fighting (and worse). Liz made a post elsewhere that I thought was honorable enough to have it's own thread. If we follow what she has said here, I believe the tone of our debates will mellow out and we will all be better off in the long run.

It's ok. It happens. Sometimes we present ourselves in ways we don't intend.
No ONE person alive today has all the answers to the bible. Our minds are limited and we were created that way.
I'll be honest. I want to be 100% correct about everything I believe. Yet if I knew everything then I learn nothing.
Want to know the real reason why I debate on CC? It's to learn. It's no t to degrade others but to learn. If I am in error of things then I need to know the "other side" so I can understand my error.
It takes a humble soul to learn and study, and a more humble one to admit they're wrong.
Let us not 'fight to be right'. Let us instead be considerate of each other in the search for understanding.

Mar 29, 2013
Amen..... i very much enjoy friendly debate but i dont really like arguing though somtimes i find myself doin so without really relizin it.

G

Graybeard

There's been some postings here lately about the tone of our debates, and how they devolve into arguing and fighting (and worse). Liz made a post elsewhere that I thought was honorable enough to have it's own thread. If we follow what she has said here, I believe the tone of our debates will mellow out and we will all be better off in the long run.

Originally Posted by Elizabeth619

It's ok. It happens. Sometimes we present ourselves in ways we don't intend.
No ONE person alive today has all the answers to the bible. Our minds are limited and we were created that way.
I'll be honest. I want to be 100% correct about everything I believe. Yet if I knew everything then I learn nothing.
Want to know the real reason why I debate on CC? It's to learn. It's no t to degrade others but to learn. If I am in error of things then I need to know the "other side" so I can understand my error.
It takes a humble soul to learn and study, and a more humble one to admit they're wrong.

Let us not 'fight to be right'. Let us instead be considerate of each other in the search for understanding.
Fully agree, but unfortunately those few who should take note will not.
I sometimes think that some are here only to provoke and cause division.

Oct 6, 2012
Sadly everyone has an opinion and everyone is 100% correct instead of the other guy.
It is sad but inevitable as people are only in 100% agreement with each other when they spend that same 100% living in Spirit for Christ. It is the only place unity can be found as all who live like that are in perfect agreement with each other as He teaches them all.

May 9, 2012
I think a lot of the problem is that the tone of voice is lost over the text. If we knew their voices were soft and humble apart from loud and obnoxious, it would definitely help...but since it's the internet, it will be lost.

G

Graybeard

I think a lot of the problem is that the tone of voice is lost over the text. If we knew their voices were soft and humble apart from loud and obnoxious, it would definitely help...but since it's the internet, it will be lost.
even so some posts exude pride and arrogance.

Oct 31, 2011
Almost every single person on cc wants to know the absolute truth of God. Everyone here is human and simply can't know all the truth. But when someone posts something that seems to one of us is not the truth, many times we feel like shouting and waving our arms as much as being on the net lets us do that.

If someone puts another person down, not working with ideas of God but with judging people, we can know they are not of God but Satan is working with them for Satan is of hate and people judging each other. If we can't handle them to get them removed, then each person who loves the Lord needs to ignore them. It isn't the person we are judging, but Satan working in that person to harm the kingdom. It is the harm they do we are against.

To complicate things, God is a complete way of knowing and being. It isn't all works, all faith, all following Christ, or all of anything. It is a complete whole. So if someone says we have to obey, naturally someone else will say it takes faith. And humans often put all the weight in one aspect of God. So even the best of us argue.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Well I'd add to this thread but I think I said enough ;)

Ricky, thank you. <3

J

jerusalem

i know that simply believing what i believe and stating it is enough to offend many. but i have not always believed the way i do and much of what i have come to believe was hard earned and involved a lot of painful transition from the traditions i was originally taught. if that is the only basis for people to be offended by what i have said it is unavoidable. i was offended many times along the way and it was essential to my change. if on the other hand i have been insensitive or abrasive i apologize as it not my intention to be hurtful or place a stumbling block in anyone's path. i have a deep love for people and i care about what happens to them esp in terms of their eternal fate. i appreciate all the input and feedback i have gotten here from Christ centered christians and i thank you for it. also for the loving prayers i have received.