The true Noah?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 25, 2011
Was Noah's flood pandemic or localized? Lets look at the scripture...

"And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;" II Peter 2:5

Many people take this verse and say "Eight people were saved" (which is true,) but here it says the eighth person. I wanted to know what that meant so I started looking in Genesis for clues.

Genesis 4:26 "And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the Lord."

Ok, so it says right here that from Enos, men were calling upon the name of the Lord.

Now, looking at the genealogy in Genesis chapter 5, the order of sons begotten are as follows:
Adam, Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahaleel, Jared, Enoch, Methuselah, Lamech, Noah

From Enos to Noah- It would make Noah the eighth (8th).. My theory, the eighth to call upon the name of the Lord (as according to Gen 4:26). This verses tend to suggest that Noah was not the eighth in the line directly, but rather the eighth to start seeking the Creator.

Back to the Flood:

Many people who read Genesis chapter 6 intrepret the "sons of God" to mean angels, but according to Romans 8:14 "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." So, when it says in Genesis 6:2 "That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose." I am finding it to mean that God's chosen people who were calling upon him began to breed and intermingle with other peoples and nations and were being corrupted by these nations.

Many people would disagree with this because the following verse says "There were giants in the earth in those days' but when you look up giants in the concordance it means tyrant or bullet; This implies that there were rulers in those days who were wicked and violent.

Localized Flood?

We find in Joshua twenty-four verses two and three that there was an "other side" of the flood.

Joshua 24:2-3 "And Joshua said unto all the people, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Your fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor: and they served other gods. 3 And I took your father Abraham from the other side of the flood, and led him throughout all the land of Canaan, and multiplied his seed, and gave him Isaac."

Their fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time and God took Abraham from the other side of the flood and lead him through Canaan. And finally continued in Joshua:

Joshua 24:14-15 "Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD. 15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve ; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell : but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

With all this in mind, I find that the flood account to be localized as opposed to a pandemic or entire planet earth scenario. There is more biblical evidence if you read the Hebrew for the flood account in regards to the word "earth," as it doesn't always indicate earth as the entire planet.

This would account for the millions of plant, animal, and insect species scattered throughout the globe.
Bear in mind, with this theory, one must, for the most part, accept an old earth theology. Why? Simple put, the flood would no longer explain why dinosaurs no longer walk the earth.

Is this the real Noah's flood?

D

Deadflesh

Strong's H5104 - nahar
1) stream, river
a) stream, river
b) (underground) streams

from root. H5102
a stream (including the sea; especially the Nile, Euphrates, etc.); figuratively, prosperity:

SO, This COULD mean Noahs Flood. BUT it most likely means the other side of the Euphrates(Babylon)

Jul 25, 2011
Yeah, I am tending to lean towards a localized flood. I know that we have been conditioned to believe things that are not always biblical when taken in context. Just as though most Christians are deceived by false doctrines, it is entirely possible that global flood during Noah's is also non-biblical. I don't want to make any definitive statements; This is just my theory.

Personally, I believe that God used evolution and that the accounts in Genesis are allegorical (but still 100% true.)

L

Laodicea

Was Noah's flood pandemic or localized? Lets look at the scripture...

"And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;" II Peter 2:5

Many people take this verse and say "Eight people were saved" (which is true,) but here it says the eighth person. I wanted to know what that meant so I started looking in Genesis for clues.

Genesis 4:26 "And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the Lord."

Ok, so it says right here that from Enos, men were calling upon the name of the Lord.

Now, looking at the genealogy in Genesis chapter 5, the order of sons begotten are as follows:
Adam, Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahaleel, Jared, Enoch, Methuselah, Lamech, Noah

From Enos to Noah- It would make Noah the eighth (8th).. My theory, the eighth to call upon the name of the Lord (as according to Gen 4:26). This verses tend to suggest that Noah was not the eighth in the line directly, but rather the eighth to start seeking the Creator.

Many people who read Genesis chapter 6 intrepret the "sons of God" to mean angels, but according to Romans 8:14 "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." So, when it says in Genesis 6:2 "That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose." I am finding it to mean that God's chosen people who were calling upon him began to breed and intermingle with other peoples and nations and were being corrupted by these nations.

Many people would disagree with this because the following verse says "There were giants in the earth in those days' but when you look up giants in the concordance it means tyrant or bullet; This implies that there were rulers in those days who were wicked and violent.
I agree with the son's of God and the daughters of men but, not with a localized flood.

Genesis 7:19-20
(19) And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
(20) Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
2 Peter 3:6
(6) Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: