The Wolf At The Door

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
wolf-at-the-door-1934-oskar-herrfurth-1862-1934-us-public-domain-photo-reprod-of-pd-artartist-...jpg

2 Kings 6:8-18
8 Now the king of Aram was at war with Israel. After conferring with his officers, he said, “I will set up my camp in such and such a place.”

9 The man of God sent word to the king of Israel: “Beware of passing that place, because the Arameans are going down there.” 10 So the king of Israel checked on the place indicated by the man of God. Time and again Elisha warned the king, so that he was on his guard in such places.

11 This enraged the king of Aram. He summoned his officers and demanded of them, “Tell me! Which of us is on the side of the king of Israel?”

12 “None of us, my lord the king,” said one of his officers, “but Elisha, the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom.”

13 “Go, find out where he is,” the king ordered, “so I can send men and capture him.” The report came back: “He is in Dothan.” 14 Then he sent horses and chariots and a strong force there. They went by night and surrounded the city.

15 When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?” the servant asked.

16 “Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”

17 And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

18 As the enemy came down toward him, Elisha prayed to the Lord, “Strike this army with blindness.” So he struck them with blindness, as Elisha had asked.
Sometimes in life, we can spiritually, mentally, or physically feel as if we are surrounded by evil. Just as Elisha found himself that morning when the king Aram's army had surrounded his city Dothan for the sole purpose of capturing him. We have two examples of a response. One spiritual and one worldly. Elisha's servant had an immediate response of panic and fear. The worldly example is so often what many of us can relate to.

When the wolf is at the door and you feel caught off guard. What is your immediate response? Fear? Worry? Panic?

Or is it of Elisha who looked beyond the situation and saw that even when the odds look unfavorable, our God is still in control and evil has nothing on God when God chooses to move against it. Elisha the man of God wasn't taken off guard as his closeness with God provided the steadfastness needed to respond without hesitation.

The Lord's army surrounded the army of Arash and immediately the army was struck with blindness. Miracles in battle are not just within scripture but during the American Revolutionary war, it was by no accident that the people felt the war had been won by divine intervention and Providence as the miracles shifted in favor of the Patriots quite often. For example,

During the early spring of 1776, with the British in control of Boston, Washington ordered cannons brought through the snow from Fort Ticonderoga (some 300 miles away) to fortify Dorchester Heights overlooking Boston harbor. Seeing the danger, British General Howe ordered an amphibious assault on the American position. However, the night before the assault was to begin, “a hurrycane or terrible storm… a southeaster of gale proportions” hit the Boston area and disrupted Howe’s plans, so he called off his attack on the American position due to “the badness of the weather.” As a result of the sudden storm and the strength of the American position commanding movement in and out of Boston harbor, General Howe ordered the British troops to evacuate Boston (see The Weather Factor, Ludlum, pp. 33–34). Washington again wrote to his brother, “this remarkable Interposition of Providence is for some wise purpose, I have not a doubt” (Miracles in American History, p. 41).

These moments are the very memories that even Benjamin Franklin could not ignore. During the Constitutional Convention of 1787. There was a harsh debate for 3 days on creating a new constitution to replace the failing Articles of Confederation. From May through September in a small building with no AC. Tempers were hot and it was Benjamin Franklin who stood up and said this portion below.

”In this situation of this Assembly, groping as it were in the dark to find political truth, and scarce able to distinguish it when presented to us, how has it happened, Sir, that we have not hitherto once thought of humbly applying to the Father of lights to illuminate our understandings?

In the beginning of the Contest with G. Britain, when we were sensible of danger we had daily prayer in this room for the divine protection. ”Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered. All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a Superintending providence in our favor. To that kind providence we owe this happy opportunity of consulting in peace on the means of establishing our future national felicity.

And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth- that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?

We have been assured, Sir, in the sacred writings, that “except the Lord build the House they labour in vain that build it.” I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall become a reproach and bye word down to future ages.

And what is worse, mankind may hereafter from this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing Governments be Human Wisdom and leave it to chance, war and conquest.

I therefore beg leave to move, that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the Clergy of the City be requested to officiate in that service.”

If we are to face the wolf we must know where we stand and have full confidence in that we stand on truth and in God's favor. This is exactly what we saw when Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego stood against the evil of their day.

Daniel 3:16-18 English Standard Version (ESV)
16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered and said to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. 17 If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. 18 But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.”

They knew what was right and wrong and didn't have to ponder the thought of obeying man rather than God. It was already decided in their heart. No man shall bow before another except for God Almighty. Even if God chose not to save them, they would have died doing what was right. Of course, God does save them and really shakes up ole Neb.

In these events, the people would look back and remember how God moved when the people of faith truly had their hearts and mind on God. We must do the same. Focus on how God has moved in our lives, our ancestor's history, and the promises of God as He will not forsake you.

Stand in confidence. The wolf isn't prepared for the God we serve.

Jun 6, 2020
Daniel 3:16-18 English Standard Version (ESV)
16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered and said to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. 17 If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. 18 But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.”

They knew what was right and wrong and didn't have to ponder the thought of obeying man rather than God. It was already decided in their heart. No man shall bow before another except for God Almighty. Even if God chose not to save them, they would have died doing what was right. Of course, God does save them and really shakes up ole Neb.

In these events, the people would look back and remember how God moved when the people of faith truly had their hearts and mind on God. We must do the same. Focus on how God has moved in our lives, our ancestor's history, and the promises of God as He will not forsake you.

Stand in confidence. The wolf isn't prepared for the God we serve.
I’ve read through your post several times now. It’s filled with many encouraging examples. This is excellent teaching.

There is one sentence though in this section of your post that I would like for you to clarify. You wrote,

”No man shall bow before another except for God Almighty.”

I don’t think you‘re saying that God Almighty is a man. Nor do I think you’re saying that a man shall not ever bow before a fellow man. It sounds to me that you’re saying a man shall not bow before another man unless the other man is a righteous ruler for God Almighty.

Three passages of scripture came to my mind when I read your sentence:

”Now Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers they hated him even more. He said to them, ‘Hear this dream that I have dreamed: Behold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and behold, my sheaf arose and stood upright. And behold, your sheaves gathered around it and bowed down to my sheaf.’”

(Genesis 37:5-7 ESV)

”Then David said to all the assembly, ‘Bless the LORD your God.’ And all the assembly blessed the LORD, the God of their fathers, and bowed their heads and paid homage to the LORD and to the king.”

(1 Chronicles 29:20 ESV)

”Behold, I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say they are Jews and are not, but lie - behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you.”

(Revelation 3:9 ESV)

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I’ve read through your post several times now. It’s filled with many encouraging examples. This is excellent teaching.

There is one sentence though in this section of your post that I would like for you to clarify. You wrote,

”No man shall bow before another except for God Almighty.”

I don’t think you‘re saying that God Almighty is a man. Nor do I think you’re saying that a man shall not ever bow before a fellow man. It sounds to me that you’re saying a man shall not bow before another man unless the other man is a righteous ruler for God Almighty.

Three passages of scripture came to my mind when I read your sentence:

”Now Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers they hated him even more. He said to them, ‘Hear this dream that I have dreamed: Behold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and behold, my sheaf arose and stood upright. And behold, your sheaves gathered around it and bowed down to my sheaf.’”

(Genesis 37:5-7 ESV)

”Then David said to all the assembly, ‘Bless the LORD your God.’ And all the assembly blessed the LORD, the God of their fathers, and bowed their heads and paid homage to the LORD and to the king.”

(1 Chronicles 29:20 ESV)

”Behold, I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say they are Jews and are not, but lie - behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you.”

(Revelation 3:9 ESV)
No man shall bow before another except for God Almighty.”

In context I was referring to that if the evil forces of this world calls us to now before them then we should resist as Peter courageously said, "We must obey God rather than human beings!"

Now obviously Jesus is our King and deserves our worship, praise, fear in awe, and obedience. God gives us guidance on good government, what we are to obey and what we should resist. When the good becomes corrupt, God governs in the affairs of man. God has used people to raise nations, to conquer nations, and the collapse of nations. We must promote what is good because no nation is invincible to God's wrath. But no evil is safe either when God's people wake up and cry out for help.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
yes we can learn from the old testament...but we are in the new and its a different reality from fighting carnally with armies and such and hoping they will all get slaughtered or struck blind or suffer from diarrhea or whatever.

You got to beware the wolf in sheeps clothing, thats the one to watch out for.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
yes we can learn from the old testament...but we are in the new and its a different reality from fighting carnally with armies and such and hoping they will all get slaughtered or struck blind or suffer from diarrhea or whatever.

You got to beware the wolf in sheeps clothing, that's the one to watch out for.
So why didn't Jesus rebuke the Roman soldier for being a soldier? Instead, he complimented his faith. New Testament as in new covenant. God is still the same God of the OT. A physical battle often involves prayer for victory. Try listening to Franklin D. Roosevelt's D-Day Prayer. Powerful and knowing now what we didn't know then. God was very much moving in that battle as the Allied forces could of loss in greater lives or loss the war if not for victory on that beachhead.

But yes I agree. There is a spiritual battle behind the physical. The demonic army has battled with God's angelic army on many fronts throughout history. The book of Daniel gives a good look into this as Daniel was given a message from an angel who was held captive by the enemy. 2 nations was at war on the physical side of the spiritual.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Jesus doesnt rebuke people whatever their station in life is.
He sees how much faith a person has. even a soldier knows that a battle is in the hands of God, cos some things you can be fighting for with every weapon at your disposal, and every horse or tank or machinery or whatever, and He can just make the sun shine brighter or create fog so nobody can see or make someone fall asleep, or make it rain so fighting is ineffective so its up to God really whether that battle is lost or won.

even if theres like an army of 1000 people against 200.

Im not an expert at military tactics neither but some things you think, well. Theres no use fighting as it dont achieve anything. and some things you think well. God isnt interested when people are fighting for the sake of it anyway...even if they appeal to Him, if there are no grounds for fighting cos nobody actually wins.

Jesus actually said that if his Kingdom was an earthly kingdom, his servants would fight. but we know it isnt.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
going back to OP about the wolf at the door.
Think about why Jesus and Paul warned about wolves...Jesus gave us a picture of the faithful as sheep, and God as our shepherd.
A wolf can grab a sheep and kill it IF he manages to get past the shepherd who is keeping the sheep safe.
The sheep arent raising up armies here against wolves. Its not like the sheep are going to herd together and stampede all over the wolves. They dont have time or energy or even inclination to do that.

what the shepherd does is keep the sheep safe and gives the sheep wisdom not to fall prey to the wolves.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Think about why Jesus and Paul warned about wolves...
Yes, that was in the context of the spiritual welfare of the churches, and Christians within the churches: For I [Paul] know this, that after my departing shall grievous* wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. (Acts 20:29,30)

What does that Greek word *barus mean, which was translated as "grievous"? It means savage, heavy, burdensome, violent, oppressive. And that is exactly what false teaching is. Both Jesus and Paul were speaking about the false apostles, false teachers, and false prophets who would arise to pervert the Gospel and Bible truth. And now we are seeing the majority of Christendom under the baneful influence of False Christianity.

But there are also other wolves in the political realm who are attacking Christian liberties and freedom of worship, while promoting fear. Anthony Fauci is the major wolf, who has become Donald Trump's pet, so that the whole COVID-19 conspiracy can be perpetrated under the Trump administration. So churches are being ORDERED to shut down, while the rioters are being encouraged to keep up their rioting. But churches are also being burned down, and Christians are being attacked by those who hate Christians.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
California pastors push for second Trump intervention after new church restrictions
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...mp-intervention-after-new-church-restrictions

...The orders, which require all churches to halt singing during services and some to suspend indoor services, were met with resistance. Many pastors said that they have no plans to follow them, and several have sued Newsom, a Democrat, arguing that the bans are an infringement of the First Amendment’s free exercise clause...

Since the pandemic was a NATIONAL HEALTH ISSUE, decisions impinging on the freedoms under the Bill of Rights should not have been handed over to governors, mayors, or any other officials. There should have been a presidential Executive Order from January 2, 2020, which spelled out everything properly and in great detail, and also restricted any interference with the freedoms guaranteed under the Constitution.

That the California pastors are asking for Trump's intervention after 7 months of lock downs shows that that presidential Executive Order should have been in place.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
When the wolf is at the door and you feel caught off guard. What is your immediate response? Fear? Worry? Panic?
When the wolf is at my door, i do not leave it closed and locked. The wolf will just persist and stay at the door, or tel it to go away will do no good. What i do is i let the wolf in and if it tries to attack me then i would kill it. If it doesnt attack me i will keep it as a pet.

sherryt

Jul 26, 2019
Yes, that was in the context of the spiritual welfare of the churches, and Christians within the churches: For I [Paul] know this, that after my departing shall grievous* wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. (Acts 20:29,30)

What does that Greek word *barus mean, which was translated as "grievous"? It means savage, heavy, burdensome, violent, oppressive. And that is exactly what false teaching is. Both Jesus and Paul were speaking about the false apostles, false teachers, and false prophets who would arise to pervert the Gospel and Bible truth. And now we are seeing the majority of Christendom under the baneful influence of False Christianity.

But there are also other wolves in the political realm who are attacking Christian liberties and freedom of worship, while promoting fear. Anthony Fauci is the major wolf, who has become Donald Trump's pet, so that the whole COVID-19 conspiracy can be perpetrated under the Trump administration. So churches are being ORDERED to shut down, while the rioters are being encouraged to keep up their rioting. But churches are also being burned down, and Christians are being attacked by those who hate Christians.

My belief is that our God is BIGGER in any and all issues that are imposed on us. Whether it's from man (physically) or the devil (spiritually) Many years ago a preacher said (which I have never forgotten) "THE DEVIL MANY WIN SOME BATTLES - BUT JESUS, PRAISE GOD HAS WON THE WAR. Just my thoughts.