they can't hear me when I use the mic

• Thread starter HecalledmeYisrael
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

HecalledmeYisrael

I'm doing everything the same as I always did, but every time I use the mic they say they can't hear me?

I have sound on my laptop so I can hear, but they can't hear me.

I'm also computer illiterate so if you have any advice could you break it down very very simple?

Thanks for any help.

~Cindy (HecalledmeYisrael)

W

wwjd_kilden

Did you try using your microphone somewhere else? (to check whether it is the actual mic or something in chat).
i.e. Skype or other messenger services with voice chat option

H

HecalledmeYisrael

I tried other chat rooms from this sight and it didn't work. I don't have skype and can't figure it out. I don't know where else to try my mic. Thanks for the reply.

W

wwjd_kilden

Try going to (sorry if names are a bit off, my system is in Norwegian)

Control Panel
Units and sound
Sound
Administer sound units

... se if you can change settings

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
Try clicking:
Windows button (in the bottom left corner of the screen)
Control Panel
Hardware and sound
Manage audio devices
and click the "Recording" tab.

Then speak, and see if the green bars go up and down as your voice gets louder and softer.

This is how everything's labeled on my computer, and a good way to test your mic. :)

S

Siberian_Khatru

Try clicking:
Windows button (in the bottom left corner of the screen)
Control Panel
Hardware and sound
Manage audio devices
and click the "Recording" tab.

Then speak, and see if the green bars go up and down as your voice gets louder and softer.

This is how everything's labeled on my computer, and a good way to test your mic. :)

This is fine to test the hardware, but only if she's using Windows Vista or Windows 7. XP layout is different.

HecalledmeYisrael, you can also try this:
• Right click on the speaker icon in your taskbar (next to the time, which is typically in the lower right hand corner of the screen)
• Click on "Audio Devices"
• Click on the "Recording" tab, near the top of the window

Here you can adjust your microphone settings and test the mic as well. If you're using Windows XP, then the process is nearly identical:

• Right click on the speaker icon
• Click click on "Adjust Audio Properties"
• Click on the "Voice" tab, near the top of the window

Here, you should see your microphone under "Voice Recording". You can adjust the volume, and even run the testing wizard by clicking on "Test Hardware". Let us know if you continue to have problems. :)

P.S. Make sure your microphone is connected. ;)

Jan 15, 2011
Don't know if this situation was resolved yet.
You can also right click in chat and when you click on the settings option, you can check which device is being used for mic input. Try setting it for your webcam if it's not already selected.