This is interesting, and can have deep learning value I think...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

Vidy

Ok, didn't know what else to put in the title, but here's the situation XD

I got in a (nonhateful) argument with a girl today about a certain puzzle. I am ONE HUNDRED PERCENT sure I am right, and that she is wrong. When I ask her to provide evidence for her views on the equation, she comes up with nothing, says I don't understand what she's saying, and then falls back on "Everyone in this town, my parents, ALBERT EINSTEIN, ect. sees it the way I do." However, if that's the case, they're all wrong.

I might as well throw the problem in here so you can verify what I'm talking about, but you can skip to the end to see my point- Here's the puzzle.

3 men go to a hotel. The hotel room is $30, so each man pays $10 for the night. The hotel manager notices later that night that there was a discount that day, and the room was only $25. The manager gives $5 ones to the bellboy and sends him up to the men to give their money back. However, being lazy and greedy, he just gave each man a dollar back, and kept two for himself.

In the end, the men each spend $9, since they had spent $10 and got their money back. That's $9 x 3 = $27. The bellboy has two dollars. $27 + $2 = $29. Where did the extra dollar go?!?!!

Her explanation- The dollar doesn't exist
My explanation- The equation is flawed and does not fit the circumstance. There are two separate equations being mashed together here.

There's one equation- Finding the total amount of money. In that case, you just say each man has $1, the bellboy has $2, and the hotel has $25. THAT'S the $30 you're looking for. However, when you start saying "Each man paid," you are no longer looking for the total amount of money existent, but rather the amount of money payed. 9 x 3 = 27 the men lost. You SUBTRACT the two the bellboy has to end in a result of 25 that the HOTEL has.

Those are the ONLY two equations that apply to this problem, and the equation 3*9+2 does not apply.

Anyway, the underlying concept of this thread is the hard-hardheadedness that people, especially from the south, get with things that they've heard their entire lives. Also, family has a major influence on these people, and they will disregard all logic to prove their point, and their family right. They have no way to back themselves up, but continue to cut your ideas down without consideration.

This is just a nice example of that, but I've noticed that the same applies in deeper topics, such as religious arguments. The question is- How do you handle these situations? Just presenting the facts clearly to them doesn't work, so what do you do? Do you let them go on with their wrong and twisted views, even though it's hard to do that? Or is there any hope at all towards changing their minds?

K

karuna

This is just a nice example of that, but I've noticed that the same applies in deeper topics, such as religious arguments. The question is- How do you handle these situations? Just presenting the facts clearly to them doesn't work, so what do you do? Do you let them go on with their wrong and twisted views, even though it's hard to do that? Or is there any hope at all towards changing their minds?
As a math teacher, I come across this sort of thing fairly often.

First of all, as the speaker you don't get to define "clearly." If I were to give a perfect explanation of a calculation, but in Latin, nobody would be sympathetic to my claim that I explained it clearly but the students didn't understand. As a teacher, it's your responsibility to look for alternative modes of explanation until it's clear to the student. After all, you're not trying to teach yourself. Did you, for instance, try using props or an actual stack of $30? Tear up a nearby sheet of paper or napkin and designate places on the table for the individuals in the problem.

Second, you need to be patient. Seeing new patterns requires time, but if you insist that it happen within the span of one conversation, it's your problem, not the student's, that it doesn't happen as quickly as you'd like. Insight cannot be forced, only encouraged. Even the best mathematicians need to let proofs filter through their heads before they truly own an understanding of the problem. If you become angry, it's because you're impatient.

Third, don't assume authority that isn't yours. It would be wonderful if stupid people would shut up, but we can't expect someone to be quiet simply because we have a proof in our hands. Even if you are correct, being right doesn't mean you have rights.

Finally, be above insult. It's fine to say something is factually incorrect, but we don't need to say that this is because they're hard-headed, because their ideas are twisted, because they're Southern (where did that come from?), etc. Essentially, you've tipped your hand - you're no longer interested in just the idea, but also in tearing down those who disagree with you. You're no more a servant of logic than Spock during Pon Farr. You should be able to say that this idea is incorrect because ______, then clear up any misunderstandings in your presentation, then leave it be.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Hey, what is this especially from the south thing? I know lots of people from the north who are stubborn. LOL

I like the problem. I understand the frustration.

I wonder if we are ever able to change another person's mind. Jesus had this problem with some folks in His day here.

V

Vidy

1- I explained it at least 3 different ways, and she DID see my way, but she dismissed it and insisted on the faulty equation.

2- I have been patient. She has insisted on me talking to a certain teacher who she bases most of her opinion on. I plan on talking to him Monday and getting a signed letter saying I'm right XD

3- Where did you get the "shutting up" thing? I never told her to shut up or not give her opinions ^_^

4- I never insulted her. I did say some things that may be insulting here, but I wasn't talking about her specifically, but more about the general attitude that certain people have towards certain things, and how to get around this attitude. Also, the Southern thing mainly referred to family dependence- I live in the South, and have all my life, and this kind of family dependence is VERY strong here. Especially the smaller towns =P For THIS particular topic at hand, I am interested in the underlying motives and reasons of the person. In the actual argument, I was focused entirely on the problem and none of the other, though SHE was insistent on bringing up Einstein and family and teachers ~_o

Jan 13, 2010
you have to remember that even though salvation for all not all will achieve salvation.what did Christ tell the apostles that if they didn't recieve the Word of salvation that the apostles were to dust off thier sandals then go somewhere else to preach the Word. So you see if they don't want to recieve the message of hope,then it isn't up to you because you have delivered the message. Let it go

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
1- I explained it at least 3 different ways, and she DID see my way, but she dismissed it and insisted on the faulty equation.

2- I have been patient. She has insisted on me talking to a certain teacher who she bases most of her opinion on. I plan on talking to him Monday and getting a signed letter saying I'm right XD

3- Where did you get the "shutting up" thing? I never told her to shut up or not give her opinions ^_^

4- I never insulted her. I did say some things that may be insulting here, but I wasn't talking about her specifically, but more about the general attitude that certain people have towards certain things, and how to get around this attitude. Also, the Southern thing mainly referred to family dependence- I live in the South, and have all my life, and this kind of family dependence is VERY strong here. Especially the smaller towns =P For THIS particular topic at hand, I am interested in the underlying motives and reasons of the person. In the actual argument, I was focused entirely on the problem and none of the other, though SHE was insistent on bringing up Einstein and family and teachers ~_o

Hey, I was just kidding. Some people you just cannot argue with. No way and no how. I always remember that idiocy is not a survival trait, so evolution must be a lie.

V

Vidy

Hey, I was just kidding. Some people you just cannot argue with. No way and no how. I always remember that idiocy is not a survival trait, so evolution must be a lie.
That wasn't intended to you, it was to the poster above you ~_o But I think idiocy IS a survival trait, since it's what many resort to when they're completely hopeless and don't want to accept other situations =P

K

karuna

You did ask about how we would handle more general conversations - I took that as an opportunity to lay out some principles that have been useful to me. If something I said doesn't relate directly to your conversation with her, assume I was talking about your other questions.

It seems that you were looking more for agreement on your stance than what you actually asked. For what it's worth, I have little interested in commenting directly on the content of your conversation with her, primarily because yours is the only side of the story we can hear. It's the general attitude that's bothersome. As an example, I don't care if you insulted her or not - I care that you seem to think these side issues, such as being Southern, lol, are pertinent in dialogue.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I know it is frustrating. I work in the one place that has more stubborn and idiotic people than anywhere else in the world, I think. The Post Office. I have, after more than 23 years there, decided to ignore as much as I possibly can, and to take the rest with as pleasant an attitude as I possibly can, and to ask for forgiveness when I cannot. We will never get away from this kind of attitude in this life, but I just try to remember that even they have some value, I think. Just kidding.

We really lose when we argue, not the person we are arguing with, but ourselves, because we have become something we are normally not.

Have a great day,

V

Vidy

I know it is frustrating. I work in the one place that has more stubborn and idiotic people than anywhere else in the world, I think. The Post Office. I have, after more than 23 years there, decided to ignore as much as I possibly can, and to take the rest with as pleasant an attitude as I possibly can, and to ask for forgiveness when I cannot. We will never get away from this kind of attitude in this life, but I just try to remember that even they have some value, I think. Just kidding.

We really lose when we argue, not the person we are arguing with, but ourselves, because we have become something we are normally not.

Have a great day,
I normally argue. It's fun ^_^ I'm never hateful in arguments, but it's a great mental exercise to me =D

Also, to the other poster, I assumed you meant it was a how I treated her and not a general thing, so I apologize for the misunderstanding. According to you, I've followed the guidelines (except the patience thing which is still to be tested), and the situation isn't resolved yet ^_^ I'm gonna keep trying and see how it turns out lol.

Anyway, I googled it (since it's not a localized puzzle), and I ended up being correct on MULTIPLE sites, and I have yet to see her explanation lol. I should google it in relation to Einstein and see how true her claim that Einstein couldn't solve it is correct XD

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I normally argue. It's fun ^_^ I'm never hateful in arguments, but it's a great mental exercise to me =D

Also, to the other poster, I assumed you meant it was a how I treated her and not a general thing, so I apologize for the misunderstanding. According to you, I've followed the guidelines (except the patience thing which is still to be tested), and the situation isn't resolved yet ^_^ I'm gonna keep trying and see how it turns out lol.

Anyway, I googled it (since it's not a localized puzzle), and I ended up being correct on MULTIPLE sites, and I have yet to see her explanation lol. I should google it in relation to Einstein and see how true her claim that Einstein couldn't solve it is correct XD
I did not mean when we debate. That is good, stimulating, worthwhile. Arguing on the other hand is not.

V

Vidy

I did not mean when we debate. That is good, stimulating, worthwhile. Arguing on the other hand is not.
What's the difference? If it's the inclusion of hate and insult, then I almost never argue and only debate, even though I debate when I probably shouldn't, and I debate over super insignificant things like this XD

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
What's the difference? If it's the inclusion of hate and insult, then I almost never argue and only debate, even though I debate when I probably shouldn't, and I debate over super insignificant things like this XD
Debate is the rational presenting of opposing points, the difference being that both sides are being rational. When one side becomes irrational, and the other side is still trying to present its points, now it is an argument, and no one wins. What usually happens is that the other, rational side looses its rationality. Things degenerate from there.