this scares me

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

skorpio555

hi
i just read this, although i am a backslider many years now i do not understand the bible. recently i have been praying to god to take me back after feeling convicted by him as i have been living the most terrible chaotic life. i have prayed and cried out to god to take me back and change my life, i cannot change by myself i have tried many times. the below verses , does this mean jesus will laugh at us and mock us because we have ignored his calls to change our lives, i havent ignored his call but i find it impossible to change my ways . i pray but i feel empty and alone and scared that i will never be saved.

Prov 1:23 Change your life at my reproof:
behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you to help you change,
I will make known my words unto you, follow them! Do them!
Prov 1:24 Because I have called, and ye refused to obey;
I have stretched out my hand, ...
Prov 1:25 But ye have ignored all my counsels, and would none of my suggestions to change you
Prov 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity and destruction;
I will mock YOU when your fear cometh;
Prov 1:27 When your fear cometh as desolation,
and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind;
when distress and anguish cometh upon you.

Prov 1:28 Then shall they call upon me,
but I will not answer;
they shall seek me early,
but they shall not find me:

U

Ugly

I'm going to wager a guess (as in i don't know this for certain, but its what makes the most sense) that this is more of a reference not to day to day life, but at times when God removes His mercy from the earth? Or possibly hell itself? Just some theories to consider until someone else with a better knowledge comes in.

W

wwjd_kilden

Solomon says a lot of strange things in the proverbs, that I cannot get head and tail of. I doubt all of them are "general",
I think several are , as Ugly suggested, about specific times, whether end times or a time in the past. Also, while thee is much judgement in the bible, never forget that with repentance there is always mercy, and there is always grace

Isaiah 1 NIV

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
the rest of the story.................

28) Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
29 .) For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
30 .) They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
31 .) Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
32 .) For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.
33 .) But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

I often find it helps to read the entire story in context............God is surely a good God, but He is also a Just God! Those who willfully deny God will pay the price for their foolishness. We find this truth throughout Scripture. Jesus Himself spoke of this truth more than once.

Maybe it's a good thing it scares you. Maybe you need to learn to fear God and make right with Him?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Speaking of grace and mercy...this is the time

John 1:16-17 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

I know, I'll catch flack for that, but oh well.

F

Fubario

I testify from personal experience that this happened to me. If you refuse to obey God, you will suffer the consequences, which caused me lots of hardship and messed me up for some time. Lesson is simple, obey God and do what he says and you will be able to stand when you face hardship and trial. If you do not listen, you will most likely end up in a trial of some kind and when you are in the trial you call out but because of sin you must suffer the consequences, so it feels like prayers are not being answered. If I do something carnal and feed that nature, it grows as a consequence. If I feed the Spirit and the spiritual nature then it grows and the carnal shrinks.

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” (NIV)

S

StoneThrower

hi
i just read this, although i am a backslider many years now i do not understand the bible. recently i have been praying to god to take me back after feeling convicted by him as i have been living the most terrible chaotic life. i have prayed and cried out to god to take me back and change my life, i cannot change by myself i have tried many times. the below verses , does this mean jesus will laugh at us and mock us because we have ignored his calls to change our lives, i havent ignored his call but i find it impossible to change my ways . i pray but i feel empty and alone and scared that i will never be saved.

Prov 1:25 But ye have ignored all my counsels, and would none of my suggestions to change you

but I will not answer;
No, nothing of the sort. Those verse were written to those people, at that time. There is a principle all throughout scripture and many verses that if you will humble yourself and call on his name he will save you. The question is why are you calling out to him, is it Godly sorrow for your sin and whom you have sinned against, or is it for life enhacement? Thats what makes the diffeence as he knows the intentions of the heart.

D

dabodab

hi

but I will not answer;
Hi Skorpio555,

You are here asking how to humble yourself. That officially makes you humble!

God will use anything and everything to get our attention. That you are here now proves your heart is ripe for Jesus to do a work in it.

I'm so glad you're here. Like someone said, angels are rejoicing at your answer to God's call! I was apostate for 20 years. I know how you feel. It's taken me three years just to figure out what happened and give all that to Jesus. He is forgiving and loving. I hurt myself. Jesus is picking me up.

Feelings are fickle. Don't ever ever trust them. Get reading the Gospel of John and get reacquainted with our Lord.

If you've asked forgiveness for your misdeeds, God is there to take over. Now get out of the way and let Him give you a new heart by asking for it and believing him for it and voila, it's yours! It really is that easy. All of a sudden you don't want to participate in those things that take you away from Jesus' love. Further, you want to do those things that bring you closer to Him! It's His spirit working in you.

Psalm 37:4 says "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart". That's you! You're heart! He makes it new and the desires that are in your heart, you can believe, are from Him "...He will give you the desires of your heart".

In the meantime get yourself to a church and hook up with Bible-believing men and women who you can look at, eyeball to eyeball, and talk and cry about how God is working in your heart to bring you back to Him. Do not delay. Find another man to fellowship with face to face. Whatever it takes. I will pray for you to find the right one. God is with you. Now, Go!