Thoughts about sacrificing and relationships

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Harley_Angel

So I was reading Hebrews 10:5-8

Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
"Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
7Then I said, 'Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
I have come to do your will, O God.' "[a] 8First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made).

It made me think. God didn't want our sacrifices, so why did He tell us we had to make them? They weren't for God's benefit, they were for our own. People ask me all the time, what kind of God would ask you to kill an animal for YOUR sins. God didn't want us to have to sacrifice, he wanted us to obey. When we didn't, we were punished by having to give up our best crops, our best animals. God didn't want them, the sacrifice was for US to see that we had done wrong, and to know we were forgiven. It's still hard for me to think that God could forgive me for my sins. Knowing that Jesus died on the cross for me keeps me from feeling guilty all the time, because I know that I am forgiven. But before Jesus, how did the Jews know? Their sacrifices were tangible, physical reminders that they would be forgiven. They were for our chastisement and comfort, not for God's pleasure. God didn't need a bull to be offered to forgive His children, but they needed to offer that bull to feel like they were forgiven.

I may be reading into this all wrong, but when I read that, that's what came into my heart. Jesus died for us, not for God's pleasure, not for Himself, for us. We are so dense, and so stubborn that it took God making Himself a man to live among us and dying a horrible, painful death for us to finally realize WE ARE FORGIVEN!

God doesn't want your sacrifices, He wants your love, your obedience, your attention. He wants YOU, not what you can give Him. Man, what if we could apply that to all our relationships? What if we loved and forgave people simply for being themselves instead of for what they could give us?

C

charisenexcelcis

you were not pleased.
I have come to do your will, O God.' "[a] 8First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made).

It made me think. God didn't want our sacrifices, so why did He tell us we had to make them? They weren't for God's benefit, they were for our own. People ask me all the time, what kind of God would ask you to kill an animal for YOUR sins. God didn't want us to have to sacrifice, he wanted us to obey. When we didn't, we were punished by having to give up our best crops, our best animals. God didn't want them, the sacrifice was for US to see that we had done wrong, and to know we were forgiven. It's still hard for me to think that God could forgive me for my sins. Knowing that Jesus died on the cross for me keeps me from feeling guilty all the time, because I know that I am forgiven. But before Jesus, how did the Jews know? Their sacrifices were tangible, physical reminders that they would be forgiven. They were for our chastisement and comfort, not for God's pleasure. God didn't need a bull to be offered to forgive His children, but they needed to offer that bull to feel like they were forgiven.

I may be reading into this all wrong, but when I read that, that's what came into my heart. Jesus died for us, not for God's pleasure, not for Himself, for us. We are so dense, and so stubborn that it took God making Himself a man to live among us and dying a horrible, painful death for us to finally realize WE ARE FORGIVEN!

God doesn't want your sacrifices, He wants your love, your obedience, your attention. He wants YOU, not what you can give Him. Man, what if we could apply that to all our relationships? What if we loved and forgave people simply for being themselves instead of for what they could give us?
A wonderful post. Thank you Harley.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I was thinking the same thing while reading the OT.
Makes one wonder if all is for our benifit ?
Well, it is ether way.
God bless, pickles

May 21, 2009
In the old book and today the Lord was trying to show people they needed God. They need to trust him. Lean on him. Or they will never make it.

L

lighthousejohn

you were not pleased.

Harley,

Great post. You nailed it! God's desire is and always has been for us to worship and obey Him. The system of sacrifices was burdensome for the Isrealites. There were so many things that God demanded a sacrifice for. I am sure that there were probably many Isrealites that did not offer all the sacrificial requirements.

Jesus was the final sacrifice for the atonement of all sin and for our reconciliation to God. I am just as sure that there are many believers that try to "hide" certain sins from God.

Jesus said in Matthew 9:13; "13Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

In Christ,
John

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Amen!
God bless, pickles