Time Frame of Joel 2:27-32

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 8, 2013
Joel 2:27-32

28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh;and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy , your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: 29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. 30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. 31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come . 32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered : for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said , and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Peter quotes the same portion of scripture in Acts 2:17-21 (leaving out part B of verse 32)

In Acts 2:17, when the outpouring had begun, has God stopped pouring out his Spirit upon all flesh with every succeeding generation to the present time? If he has stopped, then how could men be saved without the pouring out of the Spirit bringing conviction of the word and the work accomplished on the cross by the Son of God? When Peter quotes the prophet Joel referring to the pouring out of the Spirit in the LAST DAYS, is he only referring to the time of Pentecost that was happening in Jerusalem at that time or does the last days include up to the present time (and possibly beyond) involving every born again believer God has delivered, both Jew and Gentile, throughout the nations?

How are we to explain Joel 2:30,31 & Acts 2:19,20 as being fulfilled at the time of Pentecost? Surely part B of verse 32 has not been fulfilled. Also notice in Acts 2 that Peter leaves off the last part of Joel 2:32 'for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said , and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call'. There are three locative groups represented in the B part of that verse pertaining to deliverance.

Can someone explain who these three groups represent and the time frame associated with God's deliverance?

in mount Zion -
in Jerusalem -
in the remnant whom the Lord shall call -

I think we can agree that the pouring out of the Spirit is associated with all three locative groups that falls under the collective group 'upon all flesh'.

Jan 8, 2013
Is it possible that some of you do not want to comment as to the time frame of Joel 2 because it might indicate, unintentionally, a leaning toward dispensationalism or the possibility that Joel 2 has not be completely fulfilled? Could it be that there are some things in Joel 2 that involve Zion, Jerusalem and a remnant? Why are some of us so ready to recognize Pentecost as the complete fulfillment of Joel 2 and the specifics mentioned in that prophetic chapter? Maybe it would uproot some of the eschatological doctrine we adhere to and expose some of the conclusions we have come to believe is of God.

What does 'in mount Zion' refer to?
What does 'in Jerusalem' refer to?
What does 'in the remnant whom the Lord shall call' refer to?

Are we students of the Bible and lovers of his word, then let's define these terms and how they relate to prophecy.

Let's include the term 'upon all flesh', who it refers to and the time frame.

Here is another translation of Joel 2:32, 'And whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered and saved, for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the Lord has said, and among the remnant shall be those whom the Lord calls.'

N

nathan3

Your left out so much scripture about this, even left out key things Peter said, that you even quoted. Then you added a bunch of thoughts non of which are written , now its all muddied .

Read what Peter said, then read what Joel said, all of it. Then take it from there.

Jan 8, 2013
Your left out so much scripture about this, even left out key things Peter said, that you even quoted. Then you added a bunch of thoughts non of which are written , now its all muddied .

Read what Peter said, then read what Joel said, all of it. Then take it from there.
If I have left out so much, please, take the time and fill in the gaps and clear up the muddy water. As you do that, try to explain those three terms, how or who they apply, and during which time frame. Don't forget the term 'all flesh'.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well Coconut( By the way i love your name) when it was spoken that god would pour his spirit into all flesh and old men would dream dreams and young men would see visions and such, He was talking about both the pentecost and today. Many times scripture speaks of both present and future event's as one.

Jan 8, 2013
Well Coconut( By the way i love your name) when it was spoken that god would pour his spirit into all flesh and old men would dream dreams and young men would see visions and such, He was talking about both the pentecost and today. Many times scripture speaks of both present and future event's as one.
I see Joel 2 in the same manner, starting with Pentecost and continuing until verse 32 is complete, which is future. Many are persuaded otherwise because they do not want to concede that God has appointed dispensations of time to do certain works with those whom he has called. They are afraid of dispensations and do not fully understand these time frames. Jesus came at the appointed time or when the fullness of time had come in Galatians 4:4, not before or after, but at the right time to be sacrificed for sin as the lamb of God. Israel was in partial blindness and rejected and crucified the Messiah at his first coming but he will come again to fulfill Zechariah 12:10 which Revelation 1:7 confirms and they will see him who they have pierced. In John 19:37 they looked upon the one they pierced at his first coming and in Revelation 1:7 when he comes again for a second time unto salvation in Hebrews 9:28, they shall see him whom they pierced along with every kindred on the earth and there will be a great mourning as described in Zechariah 12 and not just the weeping of the daughters of Jerusalem in Luke 23:28 as Jesus (who had not been pierced yet) was bearing his cross to Golgotha in John 19:17.