To fully understand the New Testament you need to have the Old Testament in your hear

• Thread starter BlessedLovedByGod
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BlessedLovedByGod

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]What can you say about this?[/FONT]

P

psychomom

Re: To fully understand the New Testament you need to have the Old Testament in your

They are ALL the Words God gave us.

He would not have given us what we do not need. :)

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Re: To fully understand the New Testament you need to have the Old Testament in your

I would say "to fully understand the OT, you need the NT" , in which only means that NT sheds more light on the OT, not that the OT doesn't explain some things in the NT. For example, the NT explains some of the prophecies and symbols God uses to point to Christ. The Law and the prophets point to and are embodied in Christ Himself, they were the substitute for Christ and many in the OT didn't see this until Christ had come and gone. However, some of the symbols in the NT, especially Revelations, can find their meaning in the OT.

P

psychomom

I would say "to fully understand the OT, you need the NT"
agreed! :)

oops...sorry, Bookends.
I should not have cut your post.
at all.
:eek:

P

psychomom

is it perhaps better to say we need the New Testament to properly understand the Old?
as Christians, I mean?

suddenly the shadows come to life. :)

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Yes, that is what I was trying to say...Your wisdom and arrangement of words (candor) continues to evade me.;)

Last edited:
P

psychomom

Yes, that is what I was trying to say...Your wisdom and arrangement of words (candor) continues to evade me.;)
I respectfully disagree with that last statement, sir.
:)

Feb 17, 2010
I reckon to understand ANYTHING God has to reveal it to you. I do not think it has to do with any Testament, but the condition of the heart, to KNOW what God wants you to know!

When Jesus sat with the Emmaus men, he broke the bread and ate with them... And on the way Jesus still called them FOOLS, but after the bread Jesus vanished, but Jesus did not leave them EMPTY, from that moment they KNEW Him and HE OPENED THE SCRIPTURES for them, all the way! But their EYES were only opened after HE BROKE BREAD AND PRAYED!

Read it in Luke 24, it is a great study and how Jesus WORKED the resurrection.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
I reckon to understand ANYTHING God has to reveal it to you. I do not think it has to do with any Testament, but the condition of the heart, to KNOW what God wants you to know!

When Jesus sat with the Emmaus men, he broke the bread and ate with them... And on the way Jesus still called them FOOLS, but after the bread Jesus vanished, but Jesus did not leave them EMPTY, from that moment they KNEW Him and HE OPENED THE SCRIPTURES for them, all the way! But their EYES were only opened after HE BROKE BREAD AND PRAYED!

Read it in Luke 24, it is a great study and how Jesus WORKED the resurrection.
And you wouldn't have known any of that unless it was revealed to you in scripture.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
To fully understand the New Testament you need to have the Old Testament in your hear[t]

What can you say about this?
O po. Sigurado.
Jer.31

[33] But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Heb.10

[16] This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
[17] And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

R

RachelBibleStudent

both the old testament and new testament confirm and shed light on each other...

you cannot have one without the other...the mysteries would have gone undiscovered in the old testament without the new testament to reveal them...and the new testament would have no authority or foundation without the old testament...

Oct 31, 2011
both the old testament and new testament confirm and shed light on each other...

you cannot have one without the other...the mysteries would have gone undiscovered in the old testament without the new testament to reveal them...and the new testament would have no authority or foundation without the old testament...
I am no authority because I knew the NT for years and years before I could understand the Old Testament. But after I delved into it with someone by my side who could help me through it, I now think we can have a better idea of God's plan for us by reading the Old Testament to learn some basic God principles and the foundations of the world first. The OT has Christ, it is truly foundational. When the New Testament is read as how the world evolved I think it makes it clearer. So often, when people do it the other way around, they say that Christ completely replaced, Christ got rid of God principles. There was tremendous growth possible through Christ, but growth not destruction.

I found I had a terrible time with this when I studied OT. I knew the bible was scripture, I could rely on all I read as truth. Then I would come to scriptures like using the word "obsolete" in Hebrews. I knew if I reached truth I would know that something was obsolete and it couldn't be scripture that was. It took me months of serious work to find the answer to that. If I would have known OT first, I think it wouldn't have bewildered me so.

M

MANTRYING

I ask for comments especially from seasoned seekers. I have a problem with the way some present their doctrines or teaching because of this very issue. The OT is a lower standard of understanding (not to confuse with ease of practice), the NT is a higher standard. Old Testaments "eye for an eye" was replaced with "Turn the other cheek". Common good vrs. Inspirational standards of ethics. Most if not all of the 41,000 flavors of Christianity agree that the NT is the fulfillment (completion) of the OT. We allow deceitful teacher to validate their cause when they take passages from the OT. I worried when a teacher quotes the OT. I suspect at times, that unless, the listener is educated enough to know the fullness of that Gospel bad teachings are introduced. Is there a better way?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

The OT is definitely the foundation of the NT and is necessary for a 'fuller' understanding of the NT.
But I suppose one can enjoy the fruit without fully understanding the roots and trunk.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011

The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

That is still true today. Without the OT we may think that God turns his gaze away from wickedness and disobedience.

The New Testament shows us that the Lord Jesus and what He has done for us is our only way to escape the wrath of God.

I agree with both points of view. The old test. is better understood by the new and the new test. is better understood by the old. We need both.

John 5:39 [SUP] [/SUP]Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
2 Corinthians 3:6 [SUP] [/SUP]Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

G

gentlebreeze

where is the sunday church meet?

G

gentlebreeze

I am no authority because I knew the NT for years and years before I could understand the Old Testament. But after I delved into it with someone by my side who could help me through it, I now think we can have a better idea of God's plan for us by reading the Old Testament to learn some basic God principles and the foundations of the world first. The OT has Christ, it is truly foundational. When the New Testament is read as how the world evolved I think it makes it clearer. So often, when people do it the other way around, they say that Christ completely replaced, Christ got rid of God principles. There was tremendous growth possible through Christ, but growth not destruction. I found I had a terrible time with this when I studied OT. I knew the bible was scripture, I could rely on all I read as truth. Then I would come to scriptures like using the word "obsolete" in Hebrews. I knew if I reached truth I would know that something was obsolete and it couldn't be scripture that was. It took me months of serious work to find the answer to that. If I would have known OT first, I think it wouldn't have bewildered me so.
yu speek very young for someone 88. Are you realy 88? or did you just make a mistake when you wrote down your burth date?

Elin

Banned
Jan 19, 2013
What can you say about this?
Well, Heb 1:1-2 tells us that the NT is the revelation of Jesus, which completes the OT revelation and, therefore, the OT is to be understood in the light of the NT, not the other way around.