To live in a convent or not to live in a convent....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mooky

Hi there....I have to move house soon, and the options available are limited....so I was thinking of living in a fairly self contained studio apartment - only catch is that its in a convent.
On the surface, it seems fine...a safe place where only women live, but I have seen the property for myself and it has quite an oppressive atmosphere and lots of Mary statues and icons which are a bit creepy...
It is a last option but I don't have that much time to find a new place.
Does anyone have any points they can make about living in this sort of environment - ie. practical/spiritual pros/cons related to this matter?

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
If it was an oppressive atmosphere and not peaceful, I probably wouldn't live there if I could help it. I think there's likely an alternative that might not be apparent just yet. I'll pray that God shows you where He wants you, in His time.

M

Mooky

Thanks Pop-click :)I am pretty sure I can create a peaceful atmosphere in my room...but I dont know if I can deal with a massive crucifix in the courtyard everyday....prayers are very much appreciated...its urgent...

L

libertygirl

...I will pray...

K

kenisyes

If you can ignore the demons all around you in the world, and keep your eyes on Jesus (as it seems you have been doing for quite some time), is it not merely a matter of degree to avoid being affected by the giant crucifix? After all, before the revelation that we have received over the last few centuries, these people did try to follow Jesus as best as they could understand Him.

My wife used to love to quote the following: Suppose you are a missionary to a pagan tribe in Africa. They will allow you into the village to preach the gospel, and will consider what you say, but only if you first bow down and offer incense to their statue. Would you do it? Everyone is a missionary, and everyone in need of Jesus has an idol.

P

psychomom

Hi there....I have to move house soon, and the options available are limited....so I was thinking of living in a fairly self contained studio apartment - only catch is that its in a convent.
On the surface, it seems fine...a safe place where only women live, but I have seen the property for myself and it has quite an oppressive atmosphere and lots of Mary statues and icons which are a bit creepy...
It is a last option but I don't have that much time to find a new place.
Does anyone have any points they can make about living in this sort of environment - ie. practical/spiritual pros/cons related to this matter?
Dear friend, I appreciate how difficult this must be for you.
I must agree with PopClick that there may be an alternative you have not yet seen.

Sometimes the Lord isn't just an "eleventh hour" God,
but eleven thirty and fifty-nine minutes (and fifty-nine seconds! ;) ).
There are times He waits on High to answer and deliver us
for His own glory, and so we can have our faith and trust built.

And then there are times
when He chooses to "prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies". (Psalm 23:5) :)

If it were me, I would wait a bit longer...till the last minute, if need be, to discern what His will is.
But I have prayed for you, my dear, that He will make known to you just what to do, and that you will have peace.

The Lord bless and keep you. ♥
with love,
ellie

M

Mooky

If you can ignore the demons all around you in the world, and keep your eyes on Jesus (as it seems you have been doing for quite some time), is it not merely a matter of degree to avoid being affected by the giant crucifix? After all, before the revelation that we have received over the last few centuries, these people did try to follow Jesus as best as they could understand Him.

My wife used to love to quote the following: Suppose you are a missionary to a pagan tribe in Africa. They will allow you into the village to preach the gospel, and will consider what you say, but only if you first bow down and offer incense to their statue. Would you do it? Everyone is a missionary, and everyone in need of Jesus has an idol.
True enough.Just not sure if it wise because I might get very verbal about my faith....but I understand your point.

M

Mooky

Dear friend, I appreciate how difficult this must be for you.
I must agree with PopClick that there may be an alternative you have not yet seen.

Sometimes the Lord isn't just an "eleventh hour" God,
but eleven thirty and fifty-nine minutes (and fifty-nine seconds! ;) ).
There are times He waits on High to answer and deliver us
for His own glory, and so we can have our faith and trust built.

And then there are times
when He chooses to "prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies". (Psalm 23:5) :)

If it were me, I would wait a bit longer...till the last minute, if need be, to discern what His will is.
But I have prayed for you, my dear, that He will make known to you just what to do, and that you will have peace.

The Lord bless and keep you. ♥
with love,
ellie
Dear Psychomom
Thanks for your prayers - they mean alot.
As for waiting....I think that makes sense...usually one makes foolish decisions if one is in a hurry.
Thanks for your input.
xx

K

kenisyes

True enough.Just not sure if it wise because I might get very verbal about my faith....but I understand your point.
Worst case is they throw you out for getting too verbal. At least you will have lived there for a while.

Best case, someone might get saved.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Praying that the right place is made known to you soon in Jesus.
Sometimes God places us in unusual places because He has plans we cannot see. :)
For God works all things to His good perpose. :)

Hugs and God bless
pickles

S

shekaniah

When I read your post...
my only concern was, do they have too many rules that would apply to you.

Like music, how many friends you can have over, no noise after 9pm...

Your life style may not fit their rules...just a thought to ponder.

I will pray God places you in a safe fit for you.
Love in Jesus, Shekaniah

Keep us posted so we know how to pray for you dear!

M

Mooky

Thank-you all for your prayers and advice on this matter.
Praise God! Have found a new home living with two other believers not far from where I am now.
Yay!