Today's Message

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 10, 2008

I have had this idea tugging at my mind today. I think for a lot of people it's really difficult to truly absorb. I am now convinced... God certainly made this land for us, but seeking to experience it isn't the purpose. Have you really thought about what it costs to be a christian? Those experiences that you want to have... that bucket list or whatever. Is God in all of those things? Today I have gained a new perspective. These things I've done, they are exactly what Luke 14:34 and Revelation 3:16 are talking about. When I traveled to California, did I do it for God? When I went to watch football games, did I do it for God? When I went on that road trip to "see the US" did I do it for God? Today, "taking up your cross daily" means far more to me than to deny sin. Today, and hopefully every day moving forward, I see with new eyes that experiencing things is meaningless if it not very specifically driven by a love for God. For too long I have been confused by the worldly ideology "what's the point in living if you don't feel alive"? That somehow I should experience as much as I can before I die. But now I see something else. God doesn't care how much of this tainted creation I experience. I knew His word which says "do everything for Christ", but somehow that didn't seem disparate with the idea that we should experience much... until today.

I'm not sure if this will really make sense to anyone else, but I was shocked this morning by a passage that after many years of bible studying I had never studied: Luke 14:26. It really opened my eyes and helped me understand some things I had long struggled with understanding. I had decided that it wasn't something to post here, but after it popped up again, I had to write something. I hope it can help others as well.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
This is something I am starting to realize too, I have been looking at my life in a deep way recently... One thing that has shocked me though, my pastor brought this up today. The good charitable acts we do as Christians can become an idol for us.

I personally found myself wanting to find purpose in my life by doing good deeds for others. And living my life to help and serve others. Thinking I would be happy in serving others.

But I would actually be self absorbed by this new Christian fad. I would glorify my own works and be doing the charity for the wrong reasons. I wouldn't be looking for happiness and love through God but works of my own doing...

In my head I have this perfect paragraph but my brain isn't translating thought into word... so I will just put a few verses...

1John 16-21
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.

20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.