Town or country

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Do you live in the town or country, or what do you like better?

Is the country lifestyle only 'the good life' for those who can afford it?
Or Are you a complete city slicker?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Live in town. I prefer....hmmm, both. How about just outside of town in the country?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I live in a town in the country, near a town, in a country.

I definitely prefer it to the alternative, which is not living.

Anything else I can clarify for you?

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Do you live in the town or country, or what do you like better?

Is the country lifestyle only 'the good life' for those who can afford it?
Or Are you a complete city slicker?
I live roughly 20 minutes outside of our main city but live in the suburbs of another smaller town if that makes sense.

I am about 30 minutes from the closest countryside and it’s simply beautiful.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
I live in a suburb 20 min of a big city. Close enough to experience city life but not too crowded where I live. Also nice I’m 30 min from the Rocky Mountains but I do miss the ocean (where I was raised near) I guess I can’t have it all lol.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think suburbs count as town otherwise it would be called subcountry, or subrural, if there is such a thing. Or maybe 'lifestyle block'. Here only richer people could afford lifestyle blocks. Usually townies that want to be faux country.

I'm always intrigued by people who have lots of land, did they buy it or was it inherited or was just given to them?

People that choose to live in the city usually already have land somewhere else or a home they go to, they just live in the city for work. Its way too noisy for most people who are used to living in quieter places.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
We are in process of leaving a town living style and going to hoping a few acres in a more country setting. Being older I need to be close to a town to get supplies and in case of medical attention. But I long for being able to grow a garden again and maybe get our daughters to move closer to us. Right now we are Florida and Michigan and we want to be in Tennessee.

T

TheIndianGirl

I live downtown. I either take public transportation or walk everywhere. Basically everything I need is walking distance (groceries, CVS, food, movie theater, etc.).

I would like to live near the beach/water.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
We are in process of leaving a town living style and going to hoping a few acres in a more country setting. Being older I need to be close to a town to get supplies and in case of medical attention. But I long for being able to grow a garden again and maybe get our daughters to move closer to us. Right now we are Florida and Michigan and we want to be in Tennessee.
Do they have flying doctors in america? Thats what they have for people who live in rural areas in Australia, since its miles from the furtherest hospital. In nz we have rescue helicopters. Mostly used when people are stuck up a mountain.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Do they have flying doctors in america? Thats what they have for people who live in rural areas in Australia, since its miles from the furtherest hospital. In nz we have rescue helicopters. Mostly used when people are stuck up a mountain.
I'm not sure what is available in Tennessee but they do have emergency helicopters here in Florida where I am currently living. I am starting to get old now if I die I die.... but living back in the mountains and country is where I would not mind going out.... Where I am planning on trying to move to is not terribly far from services but may be a longer drive than what it is now because of living out of town now we are in town... I'm sick of it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I'm not sure what is available in Tennessee but they do have emergency helicopters here in Florida where I am currently living. I am starting to get old now if I die I die.... but living back in the mountains and country is where I would not mind going out.... Where I am planning on trying to move to is not terribly far from services but may be a longer drive than what it is now because of living out of town now we are in town... I'm sick of it.
what dont you like about town?
if its only a service you need once a week I think you could tolerate the drive but if you needed it everyday that might be a problem.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
I live downtown, but have a country heart. Love mountain views!

Living in town allows for easy shopping and having the latest technologies.

Happy snow days!

1578857825457.jpeg

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I want to live out in the county, where I can let my dog run free, but within a few minutes drive of some decent stores. It's cruel and inhumane to keep a good dog cooped up in a pen or tied to a tree, but I don't want to be out of easy reach of good food and tools.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If you live way out of town you need to ration your shopping days to once a week or even once a month. I dont mind that, I can easily go days without having to go shopping.

I had a friend who used to always want to go shopping till it got a bit tiring because she was a compulsive spender or self confessed 'shopaholic' I'm like why. Whats so great about shopping? It turns out she grew up in the country and its a huge deal to go out somewhere where there are lots of people and shiny new things to look at.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
If you live way out of town you need to ration your shopping days to once a week or even once a month. I dont mind that, I can easily go days without having to go shopping.

I had a friend who used to always want to go shopping till it got a bit tiring because she was a compulsive spender or self confessed 'shopaholic' I'm like why. Whats so great about shopping? It turns out she grew up in the country and its a huge deal to go out somewhere where there are lots of people and shiny new things to look at.
This is true. I live in a rural area where it takes at least a half hour to reach the nearest grocery store - really more because I don't go to that one. I usually will stop once a week on my way home from work, but then during the summer I have to put things in a cooler. The winter is much easier. But Lanolin is right, you really have to plan your needs for a week. If you run out of something, you just run out.

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
Im stuck in the city, with dreams of once again living in the country, or small town. Its all give and take really.

I just want to ride my 3 wheeler without loading it onto a truck, and shoot firearms off my back porch.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
what dont you like about town?
if its only a service you need once a week I think you could tolerate the drive but if you needed it everyday that might be a problem.
I have been living in city since 1979 in Florida... At this point I am sick of the heat and not having seasons, dodging hurricanes and everything commercial on the edge of Florida not far from the beaches.... I know you say why am I complaining?

Well I moved here originally to be closer to an elderly family member who has since passed on.... My love was never beaches and sand but always mountains and trees and cooler weather... So finally now that I am the one starting to get ederly I want to move back to a place where I know the seasons and can grow a garden.... Can't do that too much in city living...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well you gotta be happy where you are I supoose. How many of us dont like where we live right now?

At first I didnt really like where I lived of course had no choice in matter as thats where my family is and it never occured to me to be living anywhere else. But then as grew up and people were leaving to go live overseas Im like whats the attraction? My town has got everything I need and Im growing with it, what if everyone left who would be left, people actually leave other countries to come live here!

So Im kinda one of those people who just stay put and say I aint leavin. My roots are here. My friends are here. Im not upping sticks to find a job somewhere else cos I just find local jobs. Who wants to work for someone else in a town where you dont know anyone? And then have to find a new place to live!

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Although I've spent the vast majority of my life in suburbia, I'm a country boy at heart. I really prefer the elbow room (and quiet) that one tends to have out of town. @JustEli I know where you're coming from. I lived on 5 acres just outside of Grand Junction 20 years ago. The property backed up to BLM land so we could go out the back door and target shoot off the back porch.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Although I've spent the vast majority of my life in suburbia, I'm a country boy at heart. I really prefer the elbow room (and quiet) that one tends to have out of town. @JustEli I know where you're coming from. I lived on 5 acres just outside of Grand Junction 20 years ago. The property backed up to BLM land so we could go out the back door and target shoot off the back porch.
sorry what is BLM land?
I imagine this must be somewhere in the wild wild west?

I think the problem comes from country people treating the city as the country and going a bit gun crazy, cos now theres more risk of being shot in the city than out in the country. Bad stuff would happen out in the country and not many people would know about it cos it was kept hushed up, but if it happened in the city everyone would know.

Thats why the city sometimes has bad evil reputation, but actually a lot of violence and bloodshed happens out in the countryside. Its just with animals and plants as well.

At least, thats how it seems! I know of country people who are scared to even set foot in the city. Its not that bad.