* Trigger Warning* Biblical clarification re: suffering abuse

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
Hello Tararose! I want to share with you some scriptures here, I hope this will help somehow.
Thank you for the time and effort you took to explain this, and to include all the verses etc to make it easier for us to check the references. I really appreciate it. :)

You have given us a lot of food for thought. There do seem a lot more clear scriptures, that say on face value, without adding any presupposition to the text, that there is no opt out clause (though others disagree obviously), where abuse is concerned.

It is very hard to accept, as it really goes against how we naturally feel, just as Peter could not accept Jesus telling him what suffering he would face, in Mat 16 v 22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!"

But the point of a bible study is not to look for what we find acceptable or inoffensive, but to find out solely what the scriptures say. Thank you for helping.[/QUOTE]

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
Look,
King Henry the 8th is the reason we have an English translation of the scriptures. Not that he did the translating (he actually hunted down and killed Tyndale)

Tyndale is credited with it but he was really plagiarizing Erasmus.

Since that time every English translation wants to honor Tyndale with traditions.

What was at stake was Henry's ability to divorce and remarry because he wanted an heir to his throne. (Never happened)

Since that time the tradition of muddling up of the scriptures surrounding the legalisms (which there are none) for marriage behaviors of the two are just crap....and almost no one knows them.

I had to dig really deep into anthropology and original language studies to figure out what actually was said and why it was said in the manner it was said in.

And it was breathtaking and actually "good news" to everyone who heard it. (Except for the religious leaders)

And if you use your head and think separately from the noise of the axe grinders you can likely come up with the general gist of what a loving and kind Jesus/God meant and intended for us...even when things go wrong. Because God doesn't change character....ever!
Thanks for your response.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
if someone wants to be a punching bag, they have victim issues.
And this starts long before marriage. Surely the signs of an abuser should be evident right from the start -- even before engagement. But if someone wants to turn a blind eye to that, and go ahead and get married, there are still other remedies short of a divorce.

Speaking generally there are cases where the abused person goes back into an abusive situation all over again after divorce. So whose fault is that? Then there are cases where wives report husbands, but when push comes to shove, they try to protect them from consequences. Does that make sense? Police do not like getting involved with domestic violence because they never know what the outcome will be. There are also reported cases where the women were the abusers.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
Unfortunately Bible does not operate on common sense. In fact many of what Jesus says goes AGAINST common sense. Not resisting evil is the very opposite of what I want to do. Praying for your enemies isnt common sense.
This is very true. Other such examples that seem pretty unpopular today are...

If anyone hits you on the cheek, offer the other also.
if anyone takes away your coat, don’t hold back your shirt either.
if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.

It seems the UK at least, that there has been a shift away from this type of instruction, from the pulpit and other placed, in recent years.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
if someone wants to be a punching bag, they have victim issues.
if someone wants to feel safe and loved and secure, abusive marriages won't be fun at all.
i am not lodging here to Sin, if it is a Sin, but you can get Divorced and ask Forgiveness later.
It ain't actually a Salvation Issue, unless you refuse to seek Forgiveness for it.
I don't think many people"want to be a punching bag", anymore than Jesus wanted to go to the cross.

Feb 4, 2023
Thank you for the time and effort you took to explain this, and to include all the verses etc to make it easier for us to check the references. I really appreciate it. :)

You have given us a lot of food for thought. There do seem a lot more clear scriptures, that say on face value, without adding any presupposition to the text, that there is no opt out clause (though others disagree obviously), where abuse is concerned.

It is very hard to accept, as it really goes against how we naturally feel, just as Peter could not accept Jesus telling him what suffering he would face, in Mat 16 v 22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!"

But the point of a bible study is not to look for what we find acceptable or inoffensive, but to find out solely what the scriptures say. Thank you for helping.
[/QUOTE]

You're welcome! Praise be to God! You're right, the will of God is always against the will of man. You are very correct in quoting Peter. That's the perfect account of showing how we are always against God. That's why we should never walk in the imagination of our evil hearts.

Notice how Peter knows that Jesus is the Son of God but then later was called Satan. He was certainly a Christian here but he was carnal, following his own will. That's why Jesus rebuked him and taught us what to do.

Matthew 16:15-19 KJV
He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? [16] And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. [17] And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. [18] And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. [19] And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Peter was not submitting to God's will but was acting according to his own will.

Matthew 16:21-23 KJV
From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. [22] Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. [23] But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Jesus teaches us how we cannot enter his kingdom without us denying ourselves (our own will) and forsaking everything for him and dying to self.

Mark 8:34-38 KJV
And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. [35] For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. [36] For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? [37] Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? [38] Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Again, don't forget that obedience has its reward.

Psalm 118:6 KJV
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

Also:

Luke 12:4-5 KJV
And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. [5] But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

God said whoever does not listen to the Prophet (Jesus) shall be destroyed.

Acts 3:23 KJV
And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017