Trust: Written by Wayne Blank

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 20, 2013
The English words trust and true originated from the same old Anglo-Saxon word, trow. Trust means to rely on the integrity of someone who is being true to you (you can't have one without the other, at least not for very long), "true" meaning both honest (i.e. speaking the truth) and faithful (i.e. being "true blue"), hence the origin of another English word which is based upon trust and truth, truce. Trust, truth and truce are all are based upon The Ninth Commandment.
"Trust" is used to translate a number of original words of the Holy Scriptures; in the Old Testament the Hebrew words (pronounced) kaw-saw, baw-tawkh, and mib-tawkh, all of which mean to take refuge in, and in the New Testament the Greek words (pronounced) el-pid-zo, meaning to expect, or to confide in, pie-tho, meaning to convince, and pist-yoo-oh, meaning to have faith in.

Trust in God versus Trust In Man

Holy Bible From a religious perspective, trusting in man means to rely upon humans as though they were the ultimate power, whereas trusting in God means to "trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men":

"Every word of God is pure: He is a shield unto them that put their trust in Him." (Proverbs 30:5 KJV)
"As for God, His way is perfect; the Word of The Lord is tried: He is a buckler to all them that trust in Him" (2 Samuel 22:31 KJV)

"How excellent is Thy lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Thy wings." (Psalm 36:7 KJV)

"In God I will praise His word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me." (Psalm 56:4 KJV)

"For therefore we both labour [see "Labour To That Rest"] and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe [see Believers]." (1 Timothy 4:10 KJV)

Trust in man as the ultimate source of security is a "heart that departeth from The Lord":

"It is better to trust in The Lord than to put confidence in man" (Psalm 118:8 KJV)
"Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek The Lord!" (Isaiah 31:1 KJV)

"Thus saith The Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from The Lord. For he shall be like the Heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited. Blessed is the man that trusteth in The Lord, and whose hope The Lord is." (Jeremiah 17:5-7 KJV)