Un-written Ending-My Testimony

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

CristenJ

This is really difficult for me...so I'm sorry if it gets a little muddled here and there.

I was raised in a family that seemed to go back and forth on opinions, belief, and faith. With the exception of my grandparents, who took my older sister, younger brother, and myself 'under their wing' as far as making sure we attended Sunday school and church for the greater part of our lives, and of course my cousin's (that would be AlaynaJ to all of you) immediate family, most of my family was not religious. My mom set a poor example by refusing to go to church with us, although I know she spent a lot of time studying her Bible and praying. My biological father, as far as I know/remember, did not believe in God. And so my story begins...

As a child, I had no idea that we were poor. I knew only that Mom went to work and we rarely saw her, and that Dad stayed home and let us watch movies all day long. I knew that Mom was always busy, but that Dad would take my sister, brother, and I for McDonald's, or for a random drive, or let us help him work on his car. I didn't know that meant that my father, who was perfectly capable of working, was letting my mom work 2-3 jobs to support him and 3 young kids. We always had what we needed, and even a little extra sometimes. I never even knew that anything was wrong between my parents, they hid it really well. So when I was 7, and my mom told us that Dad was away and wouldn't be coming back, I was not only blind-sided, but incredibly angry at her. I didn't understand what she'd been put through, I only knew that she had taken my Daddy away from me and it wasn't right.

So even though I was fortunate enough to be raised going to Church and believing in God, but even though I've always been a forgiving and understanding person, there was a lot of anger that I've held on to most of my life-towards not only my mom, but also towards God. I spent the years between age 7 and 13 or so idolizing a Dad who didn't call or visit, got busted for drinking and driving and dealing drugs, and spoke badly about my mom in front of me. I asked God, for years, to let me have my dad back...and when God didn't answer, my anger and hurt only worsened.

My mom used to tell us that God has a special place in Heaven for children who don't have an earthly father. Much as I believed that, it didn't make me feel better.

As a teenager, I was fairly well behaved, I joined my church's youth group of my own volition, and I finally realized that my dad didn't want me. I poured my heart out to God, I begged his forgiveness for my years of anger, and I had a lot of long talks about it all with my youth pastor. With his help and guidance, and at the urging of one of my friends, I was baptized when I was 16. It felt like things had finally fallen into place, I thought I'd released my anger and forgiven those who had hurt me up to that point.

A few months later, I met a 19 year old who was in the Army. We did what teenagers do; we fell in love. He was a non-believer, and I put a lot of effort into changing his mind. I prayed for him and read him scriptures, I tried to show him what God had done for me as far as giving me a new start in life. He listened and was polite, but I don't think he ever took it seriously. We dated for over a year, and when I was 17, half way through junior year in high school, he asked me to marry him. So I did what any other love-sick, silly girl would have done...I dropped out of school, harrassed my mom for permission to get married (I still don't know why she let me do that, but I was probably really awful to her until she let me), and hopped on a Greyhound bus to Ft. Bragg, NC, where he was stationed then.

I was scared silly. I'd never been away from my small hometown before on my own, and I'd heard a lot of horror stories at that time about soldier at Ft. Bragg killing their wives. In my heart, and when I prayed about it, I knew that I wasn't doing the right thing, but I can be incredibly stubborn.

So on February 4th, 2003, my fiance and I went to the Fayetteville (the town surrounding Ft. Bragg) Courthouse and got married. A couple of his soldier buddies witnessed it, and since I wasn't allowed to live on the base with him, we stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment with 2 of his also newly-wed friends.

Being married to him wasn't anything like what I'd thought it would be. He didn't try to get us our own place, he was hardly ever around, and his mother, who had met me once, disowned him for marrying me, which caused him to be angry at me quite a bit.

This only went on for a month, but I prayed daily that things would get better. They didn't, and I didn't know what to do. He got shipped to Iraq at the beginning of March, and I stayed and lived with our room mate's wife (her husband was also shipped out). We didn't really like each other much, but she was all I had, and vice versa, so we made the best of it. I tried, for a little while, to keep busy by witnessing to her- she had claimed to be a witch, part of the Wiccan religion, and I thought that I could help her. The only thing that happened was that I pushed her away, and she started spending a lot of time out of the house, at bars with men she would bring home with her.

I was really saddened by that, and jaded. I prayed for her, and for her husband and mine, but it seemed that God still wasn't listening to me. I started to get frustrated, because I was so lonely and afraid, and I hadn't yet heard by letter, phone, or e-mail from my husband. I was alone at my apartment a lot, and I stopped going to church because I didn't have a car and was afraid of getting lost or worse in the unfamiliar city. I realize now how silly my fears were, but at the time, I was basically immobilized by fear- fear for my husband's life, fear that God had left me in that situation, fear of the people my room mate would bring around me.

A couple of the "friends" she brought home seemed ok. There was one woman, 10 years older than myself, that befriended me and made me feel a little better. She was 27, and so was her boyfriend. I started spending time at her house with them, and they both seemed to care about me. They were really sympathetic about my situation. But they also got me into drinking pretty heavily. It started the first night I went to her house; she was throwing a party, and because I'd been shut up and cut off from people for a while, I decided, against my better judgment and against what God was telling me in my heart, to go. My new friends encouraged me, they said how pretty and funny I was, and what a hoot I was when I was drunk. That's no excuse for what I was doing, because I was old enough to know better. All I can say is that at the time, the partying felt better than sitting at home, alone and worried, and I repeatedly ignored the voice in my head and heart that was begging me to stop what I was doing before I got hurt.

Everyone I met through my new 'friends' was a lot older than me, and none of them were believers. They seemed so cool...they snuck me into bars, went shopping with me, took me to concerts, and said they were just trying to keep my mind off of my husband. I was so busy with parties and everything else that I was completely shocked when my husband finally was able to call me. I broke down and cried during that conversation, because he told me that he had decided that week to accept Jesus as his Lord and Savior...and he thanked me for setting him down that path. And there I was, running wild and ignoring God...

C

CristenJ

Re: Un-written Ending-My Testimony part 2

But I couldn't seem to stop. I wrote to my husband almost daily, and kept things up-beat and sent him Bible verses I thought would help him out, but I was living a double life. I never cheated on him, but I was always surrounded by older guys, guys who looked at me in a way I wasn't comfortable with, but I felt like my girl friend would always be right there to keep them at bay. She would tell them I was married and to back off, and threaten them if they got too close, and her boyfriend would back that up. He was over protective of me as well, and I thought it was because I was like a little sister to him.

Ohhh, how wrong I was about that!

On one of the few occasions that I actually went home to my apartment, my friend's boyfriend came over early one morning, asking if he could use my shower. He said that my friend had forgotten to pay the gas bill, so they didn't have any hot water. I didn't think anything of it, I just got him a clean towel and went and sat in my room to read. My room mate wasn't home- she was out of town visiting her family (which was why I was even there at the time at all). About a half hour later, my friend's boyfriend appeared in my doorway. I thought he needed something, so I just waited for him to ask. I didn't expect what DID happen...

He came further into my room, and after staring at me for a minute, he said, "I want to sleep with you." I honestly thought he was joking, until he repeated himself and asked if I would. Of course I said no. I still actually thought he was pulling my leg. :( Unfortunately, things got physical and violent in what seemed like no time at all.

I never even had a chance against him, he was nearly twice my size.

After he left, I couldn't move. My mind was going a hundred miles a minute though...I was screaming inside, at God, and at myself. My body was in so much pain that I couldn't move an inch without crying, but I was crying anyways. It was that way for hours; I switched between begging God to forgive me for getting myself into that situation, yelling at Him for letting it happen, and feeling like I wanted to just die. I was terrified of telling my husband, but I knew that I would have to eventually.

My 'friend' found me like that later on that day. She came over because I wasn't answering the phone, and she wanted to tell me that her boyfriend had borrowed her car that morning and still hadn't returned. Like I cared. I hoped he was dead in a ditch somewhere. She guessed immediately what had happened; but not who, and I was afraid to tell her. She had to physically lift me and carry me to the shower; she cleaned me up and put me back to bed. She sat with me all night, and I was confused by that; here was a non-believer, showing such Christ-like love and understanding...and because nothing was making sense at that point, because it felt like my life was over, I silently told God that all bets were off with Him, unless He fixed things for me.

I turned my back on Him that night.

A few days went by, and I felt able to get out of the house at least, but I couldn't put any effort into being ALIVE. I went to the bar with my friend that weekend, and I met people...people who would soon impact my life...but it was all so hazy I don't remember it. I was basically a zombie for weeks. It wasn't until about a month later that I sort of woke up and realized that one of the guys I'd met that night at the bar had been hanging around me and my friend all the time, and I still can't actually remember ever really inviting him into my life, but when I snapped out of my haze, this guy was suddenly there, and I couldn't get rid of him. I drank with him and my friend every night for a while...and one night, when we were all so wasted that my friend and I passed out, I woke up the next morning with him in my bed, not knowing why. The only thing I knew for sure was that I had not invited him to be there, and when he woke up, he didn't say a word, but scrambled for the door as fast as he could go. I was sore and my head was throbbing and my mind was fuzzy and confused; I can only assume that he drugged me.

Things were at rock-bottom then. I started sleeping 20 hours a day. I quit answering phone calls from friends and family back home. I rarely ever ate, but somehow I gained 25 lbs within a month, and I wasn't pregnant. I often felt the urge to talk to God, but instead of praying, I would dig my fingernails into the skin on my arms and scratch until I was bleeding. It was during this time that my husband called me for the second time. He said that he felt that something was wrong between us, and he begged me to talk to him, so I told him everything. At first, it felt so good to let it all out- my friend and I hadn't spoken since that horrible night, and my room mate ignored me and vice versa. I was starting to feel lighter, I guess, as I told him what had happened- until he flat out called me a liar. He hung up on me. The next day, I got an e-mail from him saying that unless I went home to my mother, got my GED, and an apartment for him to come back to, we were getting divorced. That woke me up some; I high-tailed it back to Colorado and started trying to get my life together. That was in early September 2003. I took a pre-GED test and just barely failed the math section, so I got a book to study. I lived with my mom, trying to save up enough for an apartment, only to find out at the beginning of October that my husband had cut me off from the bank account, so it was going to take a lot longer for me to get the money together.

In the middle of October, I got on Yahoo messenger one night, and saw that my husband was online. That was a new one for me, he was never on there. So I messaged him, and asked when he would be coming home, and told him all the things I was starting to get in order. His only reply was, "I'm already home, not Ft. Bragg but at my mom's. Been here a couple weeks. Be seeing you tomorrow or the next day so we can sign papers."

I was floored. He didn't even give me a chance to argue. True to his word, he showed up with divorce papers. I tried to convince him to give us a real chance, even though I knew I didn't deserve it. He gave in, said he'd stay the night with me, and go home to his parents in the morning, and NOT file the papers that I'd already signed for some reason that is beyond me. I actually believed him. So he left the next day, and I didn't hear from him again for about a week, so I broke down and called him. He said, "Oh, yeah, the papers are filed. Should take a month or two to process."

I was divorced before Christmas.

I was hurt. I was mad. I went around with my head hanging low for a little while. I beat myself up over everything that had happened, all the mistakes I'd made. I was out walking one morning, thinking about what a joke my life was, and how I'd ruined my life and my ex-husband's, when I heard in my head, "Enough! I am Lord!"

I hadn't even thought of God in months. I hadn't prayed, or so much as even looked twice at a church building when I passed by. I was just this empty shell wandering around. Those words rang so clearly in my mind, and I felt such sudden inner peace, I knew God had spoken to me. It shocked me as much as it calmed me...because hadn't I turned my back on Him? How could He still care enough to speak to ME? I knew the answer, of course. And it made me feel incredibly low, incredibly unworthy, as I knew I was.

Things didn't immediately turn around when the Lord said those words to me, but a lot of things got better. I quit drinking, hurting myself, and moping around. I started seeing my friends and family again, slowly. My mom and one of my aunts drove me back out to Ft. Bragg in order to report the crimes against me, even though it was far too late- I had to try, because once I snapped out of my self-pitying, self-loathing state, I realized that if I could do anything to stop those two men from doing that to someone else, I had to do it.

I started going to church again. My old youth pastor welcomed me back, counseled me, and prayed with me. Unfortunately, about a year or so later, a younger girl from youth group pressed sexual harrassment charges against him, he went to jail, and when he was bailed out, he went home and committed suicide.

That set me back a little bit. I had really looked up to him for strength and guidance, and it was hard to believe he had been guilty because he was never, ever, in any way, inappropriate with me. He had been sort of a father-figure for me for so long when my own dad was busy doing drugs and disappearing, and he had been the one to baptize me. I don't know for sure that the charges against him were actually true, though it would seem so because of how he handled it, but either way, it's taken some work to forgive and move on.

I am now 23 years old, and I have felt/seen the power of Jesus Christ work in my heart, my soul, and my life. I have begged His forgiveness, and I know He has granted it, because I can feel it. He is my Light, my Lord, and my Savior. He has healed me and enabled me to forgive the people of my past, and He has turned my life into something worth living so that I am able to let Him shine through me.

I know I will stumble again; but He won't let me fall. I know things will be difficult sometimes, but He walks beside me.

My story won't end here, it will continue; but this time, WITH GOD.

Feb 27, 2007
thank you Cristen, what awesome testamony. I had a strong opinion about your youth pastor as I read your comments that it seemed like he must have been guilty because of the way he dealt with it. Please do not take his suicide as an admission of guilt. Imagine being someone who has dedicated their life to the betterment of youth through Christ Jesus. Imagine the satanic attacks on a person with this sort of a soft heart. Perhaps he was guilty, or perhaps he just couldnt deal with the fact that guilty or not, his lifes work is over cause even when you are innocent, once accused you are surrounded by doubt. Remember NOTHING can separte us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. The Lord will connect you with someone new, and if satan intervene's The Lord will provide again. God Bless you as you Grow in Christ.

Conquer

Apr 8, 2007
Wow... That is a long road you have been walking on. I hope God will restore you fully. He will wipe away your tears. I am glad God is so faithfull to you, whatever happened to you. That is a great testimony. I hope you will find a save place/person these days...