Unanswered Prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 3, 2013
I know prayers are answered just as we ask sometimes, but I have experienced and heard others talk of far more prayers that are prayed and seem to go unheard by our Father. My mind immediately recalled John 14:12, having read it many times before. So, I read, prayed, meditated and read some more to accomplish that first baby step toward understanding, because I couldn’t grasp what must have been meant by this. I just don’t see anything approaching the works Jesus did like raising the dead and so on. This is what God allowed me to see.
JOHN 14:12 (CJB)
12 Yes, indeed! I tell you that whoever trusts in me will also do the works I do! Indeed, he will do greater ones, because I am going to the Father.

“Greater works” – greater in quality, not quantity
The context of the book of John indicates “greater works” are works of conversion by God’s grace. Christ’s purpose was to die a substitutionary death for us + salvation.
Miracles point to Christ as the true Messiah, but that is lesser than the actual bringing of sinners to Christ to whom the signs and miracles point – Spiritual rather than physical accomplishments.
“Anything done to the spirit of a person is permanent, that which is done to the flesh is merely temporary. All those whom Jesus healed or raised from the dead died again, so what is done to the spirit of a person is far greater.”

Of course, the next two verses are an extension of Jesus’ conversation with His disciples when He says:
13 In fact, whatever you ask for in my name, I will do; so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If you ask me for something in my name, I will do it.

That is where I bumped into that old, bothersome question of unanswered prayer…again! The phrase “in my name” is undoubtedly a key phrase, so it begs for exploration.
“Name” in Strong’s concordance New Testament # 3686=authority and character related to Strong’s 3685= to gratify in relation to divine pleasure or advantage (to have joy)
Since it is vital for full understanding, a look at Old Testament scripture about God’s name is necessary also.
Exodus 6:3 (KJV)
3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.
Strong’s concordance Old Testament #8034=defined and conspicuous position. An appellation that is a word by which one is known. A mark or memorial of individuality by implying honor, authoritive report of character.
The other part of the John 14 passage that would not let me ignore it is where it says, “so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” The purpose of prayers being answered is to glorify God. I have wondered how do we really glorify God, especially if it involves Him doing what we ask of Him in prayer. It was easy to find that answer in scripture. John tells us in the very next chapter: John 15:7-8 (CJB)
7 "If you remain united with me, and my words with you, then ask whatever you want, and it will happen for you.
8 This is how my Father is glorified -- in your bearing much fruit; this is how you will prove to be my talmidim [disciples].”

Hmm, it glorifies God when our prayers are answered; we are to ask “in His name” which, put briefly, is His character…there are definitely some components to prayer that dictate God’s answer or lack thereof. I suspect those components are going to turn out to be character/characteristics of the one praying more so than of the prayer itself, not neglecting the pattern Christ gave us in the Lord’s Prayer. Un

Attachments