Unanswered Prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 3, 2013
I noticed one thing as I was studying that might not turn out to always be the case but worth considering as we pray. I found the case of Paul asking that a “thorn” be removed from his flesh, and read the testimony of a relatively young man who was diagnosed with cancer and multiple sclerosis one day thirteen years ago and suffered with the accompanying depression, 49 pills a day, spinal taps, steroid treatments, etc. Like Paul, he prayed for cures to his illness. Neither of them was granted the taking away of whatever was afflicting them, but when focusing on their well-being and what God had for them to do, both could be considered over comers. There may be something to that principle of not asking God to take away what afflicts us.

Another thing that makes sense to me is that since the purpose for answered prayer is to glorify God, it stands to reason that He would answer prayer for those who are called by His name (Romans 8:28 “Furthermore, we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called in accordance with his purpose;”) because they have molded their lifestyle to imitate Him. How glorifying would it be if He answered all prayers of all people who asked of Him regardless of their dedication to Him? God will answer prayer when it glorifies Him, and if it does not glorify Him, it is not in His will – or character, which = His name. To pray in the name of Jesus is much more than closing our prayer with the words, “in Jesus’ name, Amen.”