Understanding the Importants of the Baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tan

And Jesus came and spake unto them saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the son, and of the Holy Ghost;" (Matthew 28:18-19). These two verses have been mistakenly taught for generations. One mistake religious leaders make is baptizing people without teaching them about Jesus and His doctrine (teaching). Romans 10: verse 17, informs us that faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Therefore, how can you baptize someone in a belief (faith), when the person being baptized, has no knowledge about faith? Contrary to popular beliefs, faith in Jesus is more than calling his name. It’s about knowing the name you are calling on. "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in him whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!" (Romans10:13-15).
Only a bible preacher can instruct out of the bible. Jesus warned us that many false prophets have gone out into the world; so, please, make sure that your preacher has been sent by God. You can tell the false prophets by their fruit (deeds); if they are not reading and living the entire bible then do not take heed (listen) to them. Let us return to the main lesson. In Matthew 28, verse 19, the Lord commands his disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, the son, and the Holy Ghost. This is where religious leaders make their second mistake concerning baptism.

They (religious leaders) will submerge (bring under water) the same person three times, to uphold the commandment to baptize in the name of the Father, son, and Holy Ghost. However, "Father", and "Son" are not names, but are a status to describe one's position in life; and the Holy Ghost is slang for the Holy Spirit. Jesus said to be baptized "in the name of the Father, son, and Holy Ghost", so, let's find someone with a name that relates to all three. Jesus Christ said, "I am come in my father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive." (John 5:43). This scripture informs us that both the father and the son's name is Jesus, because Jesus said that he came in his father's name. Jesus also, said; "But the comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (John 14:26). The Lord has spoken! We are to baptize, and be baptized in the name of Jesus. There are no exceptions! "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, "repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts1:36-38).

T

Tan

If we truly love God, then we will obey "Every word" that proceeds out of his mouth (Matthew 4:4). Baptism is one of those words. In order to be baptized, certain events must take place: You must give up a lifestyle where sin has dominion, (ruler ship) over you. Sin according to 1 John 3:4, Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression (breaking) of the law. You must be taught "The Word", before you can adhere to God's commandments (judgments\statues). These laws are found in the Holy Bible; beginning with Genesis and ending with Revelation. You must believe what the bible says and finally, you must confess that Jesus is Lord. Once this has been accomplished, you are qualified to be baptized in the name of Jesus.

"And he said unto them, go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:15-16). Listen people! Baptism is a commandment or requirement for salvation. To reject baptism is death; so, why will you die? Every soul that is baptized honors God and every soul that rejects baptism dishonors God. "And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John. But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him." (Luke 7:29-30). People, if you are in a position to be baptized, why reject the counsel of God? Rejecting God's counsel will get you eternal life in the burning flames (lake of fire) with the scribes and Pharisees. "For I say unto you, that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, Ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5: 20). Anyone that is not baptized is a person with their sins yet upon them, because it is the baptism that washes away our past sins. "And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord." (Acts 22:16): Remember, before his crucifixion, Jesus told his disciples that his time (death) is not yet come; He also informed them that their time (death) can come at any moment. Brothers and sisters I beg of you, don't delay your baptism.

E

eternally-gratefull

I think we need to remember, Scripture tells us there is a doctrine of baptisms (plural) but states there is only one baptism which saves.

Thus we must chose. Who do we want to baptise us in order to save us. A man who is a sinner and needs saved himself. Who has no power to baptise us into Christ and his body.

Or God the HS, Who has the power to baptize us into the death and burial of CHrist (rom 6) where our sins are washed away (titus 3: 5) and his body, the church (1 cor 12) where we are sealed into the same body by the spirit himself (eph 1: 13-14)

Paul tells the collossian church, Circumcision (an OT tradition which represented cleansing. as the one circumcised was cleansed, and separated from those who are not.) He tells us outright we are not circumcised by the hands of men, but by the hands of God (a spiritual circumcision) And he tells us how.

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins[c] of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

I think it is simple.

Our washing is done by God.

Our baptism is done by God, not men, For it says plainly our baptism was performed BY THE ONE WHO RAISED CHRIST FROM THE DEAD.

if you want water baptism to save you, then we need to look at scripture in another area, which tells us if we want to be saved by one law, we better prepare to be indebted to the whole law. And as a sinner could not sacrifice an animal to save anyone, because he needed his sins washed also. Niether can a man, who needs his sins forgiven also. not wash you in the waters of baptism in order to make you clean. Only God can.

T

Tan

I think we need to remember, Scripture tells us there is a doctrine of baptisms (plural) but states there is only one baptism which saves.

Thus we must chose. Who do we want to baptise us in order to save us. A man who is a sinner and needs saved himself. Who has no power to baptise us into Christ and his body.

Or God the HS, Who has the power to baptize us into the death and burial of CHrist (rom 6) where our sins are washed away (titus 3: 5) and his body, the church (1 cor 12) where we are sealed into the same body by the spirit himself (eph 1: 13-14)

Paul tells the collossian church, Circumcision (an OT tradition which represented cleansing. as the one circumcised was cleansed, and separated from those who are not.) He tells us outright we are not circumcised by the hands of men, but by the hands of God (a spiritual circumcision) And he tells us how.

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins[c] of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

I think it is simple.

Our washing is done by God.

Our baptism is done by God, not men, For it says plainly our baptism was performed BY THE ONE WHO RAISED CHRIST FROM THE DEAD.

if you want water baptism to save you, then we need to look at scripture in another area, which tells us if we want to be saved by one law, we better prepare to be indebted to the whole law. And as a sinner could not sacrifice an animal to save anyone, because he needed his sins washed also. Niether can a man, who needs his sins forgiven also. not wash you in the waters of baptism in order to make you clean. Only God can.

I don't quite follow you. Its one thing to get Paul's writing confuse but Jesus words are crystal clear. How can you quote Paul over Jesus and said our baptism is done by God and not man? Even Jesus was baptize by man. Lets go into Matthew 3: 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. 16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him.

So this is the protocol, John the Baptist understood Jesus position and didn't feel like he should baptize Jesus, but Jesus let John know that this is righteousness. So, if you are saying that we don't need to be baptize by men like Jesus was baptize, then I would say that you need much more understanding and knowledge. I hope thats not what you are saying and I miss understood something. But keep this in mind what Jesus said in Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned

T

Tan

Another error made by many pastors, is the baptizing of infants and children. The Bible does not support this; in fact the Bible only gives examples of men and women being baptized. "But when they believed Phillip preaching the things concerning the Kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women." (Acts 8:12): "And it came to pass, that, while Apollo was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, he said unto them, Have ye received the Holy ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, "We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost." And he said unto them, "unto what then were ye baptized?" And they said unto John's baptism.

Then Paul said, "John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him who should come after him, that is, Jesus Christ." When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul had laid hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. And all the men were about twelve." (Acts 19:1-7).

Listen people, only adults are to be baptized, because once you go under the water in Jesus’ name, you are then under the blood of Jesusand the Lord is going to hold you responsible. Woe be unto anyone, who takes the Lord's name in vain! He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses. How much of a sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the spirit of the grace? For we know him that hath said, "Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense," saith the Lord. And again, the Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. (Hebrews 10:28-31).

So, by all means do the right thing, and come be ye baptized. Don't hesitate; the very life you save will be your own. Remember, the Pharisees, and that, because they rejected the counsel of God, they will be tossed into the burning flames; at the "Great White Throne Judgment," where they will be tormented forever. Therefore, don't be a modern day Pharisee; get smart, come ye to the water and wash away your sins, being baptize in the name of Jesus.

P

plussizedstickbug

I was baptized and a child not an infant but as a child about 7 or 8 years old with my sister and brother because my mom said it was for us to be saved.
I wanted to be saved because that meant go to Jesus.
I did not have the mind of an adult my parents never said come and see....look at this sin and iniquity and wickedness look and see it and what it is.
They never even talked sinful talk and things in the house nor did they allow others to talk that talk.

So when I became a very much accountable adult to really know sin and the reason for baptism for the remission of sin, and preparation for the filling of the body my temple with Holy Spirit I want and got baptized again.

And I would do the same again today I would not cast off my Baptism as a child I do not regret it nor think it was of no good thing or use.
I think it was really a good move in my heart and mind my own conscience urged upon my to, and actually when I did get baptized as an adult it made my husband want to also.
My husband had never been baptized and in private he told me he would not when he was younger because he felt embarrassed to.
I asked him what did he mean by this and he told me it made him look weak in public. He said he did not was the embarrassment of it nor the shameful feeling of it. He would not show weakness in public nor cry before people.

So I am thankful to the Lord in more than one way that His Words stirred me to repeat my baptism as an adult and be pleasing unto Him and His commands.
My husband came up out of the water shouting like he had broke through the hardest thing that held him back like he had broke free of his chains.
He told me much later on that the very reason he refused to be baptized in his younger years was a very serious wrong, yet he had fell away from the church and felt he lost the opportunity.
He said he felt like he had rejected the Lord and insulted him like He was ashamed of Christ.

I told him I was glad he did not just do it for others and outward appeasing their expectation when he believed in it not and actually loathed the thought of it.
I feel if he had of done that with out his heart mind and soul truly in it then he would have done much the worse. He would have done it and his heart far from it. He would have done it with out faith in the commandment that said to do it and a promise of the Holy Spirit for those who believe and do so in faith.

We are each individuals and worked with as individuals by Christ but I must say can trust Christ and His works and His ways.
He can do and accomplish even what we never thought or wanted or chose to do even what we think is impossible.
Christ moves us He leads us even when we see or know it not. He is fully trustworthy with our souls and our salvation He can indeed save us even from our own selves. He knows how and He knows when and He knows it always in always there are and are to come.
We have a mighty one a wonderful one great is He who is in us, greater then he who was and is in this world.
We got a Good friend in The Lord we got one that is a keeper of His brother and a one who looks out for us in all our needs and ways.
He cares for us like a father like a mother like a brother like a friend. He is our prize.

T

Tan

I was baptized and a child not an infant but as a child about 7 or 8 years old with my sister and brother because my mom said it was for us to be saved.
I wanted to be saved because that meant go to Jesus.
I did not have the mind of an adult my parents never said come and see....look at this sin and iniquity and wickedness look and see it and what it is.
They never even talked sinful talk and things in the house nor did they allow others to talk that talk.

So when I became a very much accountable adult to really know sin and the reason for baptism for the remission of sin, and preparation for the filling of the body my temple with Holy Spirit I want and got baptized again.

And I would do the same again today I would not cast off my Baptism as a child I do not regret it nor think it was of no good thing or use.
I think it was really a good move in my heart and mind my own conscience urged upon my to, and actually when I did get baptized as an adult it made my husband want to also.
My husband had never been baptized and in private he told me he would not when he was younger because he felt embarrassed to.
I asked him what did he mean by this and he told me it made him look weak in public. He said he did not was the embarrassment of it nor the shameful feeling of it. He would not show weakness in public nor cry before people.

So I am thankful to the Lord in more than one way that His Words stirred me to repeat my baptism as an adult and be pleasing unto Him and His commands.
My husband came up out of the water shouting like he had broke through the hardest thing that held him back like he had broke free of his chains.
He told me much later on that the very reason he refused to be baptized in his younger years was a very serious wrong, yet he had fell away from the church and felt he lost the opportunity.
He said he felt like he had rejected the Lord and insulted him like He was ashamed of Christ.

I told him I was glad he did not just do it for others and outward appeasing their expectation when he believed in it not and actually loathed the thought of it.
I feel if he had of done that with out his heart mind and soul truly in it then he would have done much the worse. He would have done it and his heart far from it. He would have done it with out faith in the commandment that said to do it and a promise of the Holy Spirit for those who believe and do so in faith.

We are each individuals and worked with as individuals by Christ but I must say can trust Christ and His works and His ways.
He can do and accomplish even what we never thought or wanted or chose to do even what we think is impossible.
Christ moves us He leads us even when we see or know it not. He is fully trustworthy with our souls and our salvation He can indeed save us even from our own selves. He knows how and He knows when and He knows it always in always there are and are to come.
We have a mighty one a wonderful one great is He who is in us, greater then he who was and is in this world.
We got a Good friend in The Lord we got one that is a keeper of His brother and a one who looks out for us in all our needs and ways.
He cares for us like a father like a mother like a brother like a friend. He is our prize.

Glad to here your strengh in the Lord, and to realize that you had to get rebaptize, shows great dedication and promise. If people truly love God, then they will obey "Every word" that proceeds out of his mouth. (Matthew 4:4) Baptism is one of those words. In order for a person to be baptized, certain events must take place: They must give up a lifestyle where sin has dominion, (ruler ship) over them. Sin according to 1 John 3:4, is the transgression (breaking) of the law. You must be taught "The Word", before you can adhere to God's commandments (judgments\statues). These laws are found in the Holy Bible; beginning with Genesis and ending with Revelation. They must believe what the bible says and finally, they must confess that Jesus is Lord. Once this has been accomplished, they are qualified to be baptized in the name of Jesus.