Understanding Total depravity

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I am familiar with his work, albeit is was a long while ago I used to listen and read his work, if I have time, later, I may listen to him and refresh my memory. :cautious:
well it would be helpful if you did listen to the the full sermon taken notes and then we can discuss.

As the thread is about the understanding of his sermon.

Also I would like to know if you think he has valid reason to say the doctrine of total depravity is something that stems from Augustinism and not Calvinism.
 
What is a public professor? And under strict conditions of who or what?
A professor is a senior academic of a university, particularly reformed theology in his case, and he teaches publicly to students looking for a degree in theology, so they can get Jobs teaching.

So his information has to be accurate.
 
A professor is a senior academic of a university, particularly reformed theology in his case, and he teaches publicly to students looking for a degree in theology, so they can get Jobs teaching.

So his information has to be accurate.

Who verifies that it is accurate.

Augustine may have laid the groundwork for calvin but total depravity is all calvin
 
Who verifies that it is accurate.

Augustine may have laid the groundwork for calvin but total depravity is all calvin
again listen to the sermon, I don't agree with assertion and ruling over a truful man
 
again listen to the sermon, I don't agree with assertion and ruling over a truful man

I have no need to. If we are made in the image and likeness of God then how can we be totally depraved? We aren't perfect but total depravity means there is nothing good within us at all. That can't be right if we are gods creations.
 
I have no need to. If we are made in the image and likeness of God then how can we be totally depraved? We aren't perfect but total depravity means there is nothing good within us at all. That can't be right if we are gods creations.
Who verifies that it is accurate.

Augustine may have laid the groundwork for calvin but total depravity is all calvin
listen if you want to take part on the discussion then listen to the sermon. again listen to the sermon, I don't agree with your assertion and ruling over a truful man.

He also mentions how the sermon of total depravity came about earlier on in his sermon it stems from a prayer Saint Augustine made and wrote for people to read, which said grant me what you command, which was seen as man not being able to do his will. but took wrongly by other people.

So the doctrine of depravity stems from Augustine, but he never meant total depravity as utter depravity as some have interpreted it.

Augustine was Calvin's main mentor, he used for his teachings, so all tho total depravity means an inability it was doesn't mean utter inability.

Augustine is considered the Person that shaped the start of the great reformation that all protestant Christians are a part of, as the writings of Augustine about original sin grace and salvation also influenced the reformation, of our faith we have today
 
listen if you want to take part on the discussion then listen to the sermon. again listen to the sermon, I don't agree with your assertion and ruling over a truful man.

He also mentions how the sermon of total depravity came about earlier on in his sermon it stems from a prayer Saint Augustine made and wrote for people to read, which said grant me what you command, which was seen as man not being able to do his will. but took wrongly by other people.

So the doctrine of depravity stems from Augustine, but he never meant total depravity as utter depravity as some have interpreted it.

Augustine was Calvin's main mentor, he used for his teachings, so all tho total depravity means an inability it was doesn't mean utter inability.

Augustine is considered the Person that shaped the start of the great reformation that all protestant Christians are a part of, as the writings of Augustine about original sin grace and salvation also influenced the reformation, of our faith we have today

You make a lot of assertions without evidence of their verasity. Augustine did influence the reformation that's not the same as his being a party to it. It's absurd to assert he believed in total depravity. He didn't.

You really should look up the meaning of words before you use them. Start with total in this instance
 
You make a lot of assertions without evidence of their verasity. Augustine did influence the reformation that's not the same as his being a party to it. It's absurd to assert he believed in total depravity. He didn't.

You really should look up the meaning of words before you use them. Start with total in this instance
your incredible,

You don't listen to sound reason and suggestion , you won't answer a simple question

You won't do any research, and you claim professors don't know what there talking about, whilst not being able to acknowledge a simple basic truth, ? About not being able to freely do anything you want ., and What's even more incredible, is that I should listen to your advice, I don't think so.

You join a discussion about a sermon won't watch it and claim the knowledge you have about John Calvin is as accurate, as it is your assertion that God limiting human freedom is not true either,

I wonder is English your first language because your comprehension is quite incredible .

,
 
your incredible,

You don't listen to sound reason and suggestion , you won't answer a simple question

You won't do any research, and you claim professors don't know what there talking about, whilst not being able to acknowledge a simple basic truth, ? About not being able to freely do anything you want ., and What's even more incredible, is that I should listen to your advice, I don't think so.

You join a discussion about a sermon won't watch it and claim the knowledge you have about John Calvin is as accurate, as it is your assertion that God limiting human freedom is not true either,

I wonder is English your first language because your comprehension is quite incredible .

,

Where did I say professors don't know what they are talking about? You said they must tell the truth. I asked who verifies that they do? You assume. That simple minded.

Logic is clearly not your forte. I say one thing and you think it means something else.

What question didnt I answer?
 
Where did I say professors don't know what they are talking about? You said they must tell the truth. I asked who verifies that they do? You assume. That simple minded.

Logic is clearly not your forte. I say one thing and you think it means something else.

What question didnt I answer?
there's a saying you can fool people some of the time but not all of the time.

And you know what you implied several times without even doing any research.

First you implied the information given about Saint Augustine wasn't accurate

Then you said how does the professor know his knowledge is accurate.

Now your implying my information about your inaccuracy is false


Err I don't think so 🤐
 
there's a saying you can fool people some of the time but not all of the time.

And you know what you implied several times without even doing any research.

First you implied the information given about Saint Augustine wasn't accurate

Then you said how does the professor know his knowledge is accurate.

Now your implying my information about your inaccuracy is false


Err I don't think so 🤐

First of all I said St. Augustine may have been the basis for the reformation but he would not have agreed with total depravity.

I never asked how professor knows his knowledge is accurate I asked who decides if it's accurate. You're assumption (an idea accepted as fact without evidence) is that professors cannot lie or be mistaken. Unlike you I want proof of that claim of yours.

It's clearly wrong but you assume( an idea accepted as fact without evidence) that you're right.
 
First of all I said St. Augustine may have been the basis for the reformation but he would not have agreed with total depravity.

I never asked how professor knows his knowledge is accurate I asked who decides if it's accurate. You're assumption (an idea accepted as fact without evidence) is that professors cannot lie or be mistaken. Unlike you I want proof of that claim of yours.

It's clearly wrong but you assume( an idea accepted as fact without evidence) that you're right.
Naw you escalated a problem that didn't exist
 
First of all I said St. Augustine may have been the basis for the reformation but he would not have agreed with total depravity.
you said that on the bases that you only wanted John Calvin to be held responsible for the doctrine of total depravity.

And many people do here. Even tho they get told by many people grounded in his word that nobody really knows where it came from.

Well I believe I've shown the most credible evidence to date where it originated from,.

Of course that's upto you to believe it.