URGENT- Lost Rent Check

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
But Blue, I'm not getting your logic.

If your check is not cashed this month, then you have $200 extra in your account. Add to it January's rent and it totals $400, which is not double rent, but rather Dec rent plus Jan rent. This is the same amount of money you would be spending if your check had arrived safely this month.

You are not doubling your rent.

Please contact your landlord to see what he wants to do. You should put stop Payment on the check, in case some one finds it and cashed it. Then you really will be out the rent.

Can you use electronic direct deposit? Then it goes directly from your bank into his.

Praying you find an easy way to resolve this.
Angela, IF my check had been cashed this month, then I'd only have to pay $195 rent next month. So December rent PLUS January's rent WOULD be nearly $400. That IS double rent. lol

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Angela, IF my check had been cashed this month, then I'd only have to pay $195 rent next month. So December rent PLUS January's rent WOULD be nearly $400. That IS double rent. lol

No, it isn't! You are not paying double rent in Jan. You are paying your usual amount of $200 a month. However, because you missed Dec,'s rent, you are paying that, too.

But, you aren't paying a cent more than if he had received the Dec. rent on time. You are paying your Dec. and Jan rent together. The exact same amount of money. Doubling means you take the Jan sum and double it. Plus, you add the Dec rent. That would be $600 which you are not paying.

There is an important distinction here. You are multiplying by 2. In fact you are in reality adding the two months rents together. So you are paying exactly the same amount of money in Jan. As you would have paid had your rent check arrived and not gotten lost.

No doubling, just adding two months together equaling he same amount of money.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
195 x 2= $390.

December rent= $195

January rent= $195

Total= $390

Since December's rent wasn't paid, I now owe $390 next month. 2 months rent. If December HAD been paid, I'd only owe $195 next month, instead of $390.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
195 x 2= $390.

December rent= $195

January rent= $195

Total= $390

Since December's rent wasn't paid, I now owe $390 next month. 2 months rent. If December HAD been paid, I'd only owe $195 next month, instead of $390.

Yes, but you haven't lost the $195 for Dec's rent. It is sitting in your account. There is no difference between if you pay December's rent in Jan, or if your check had not gone astray, and you payed Dec rent in Dec and Jan's rent in Jan. You are not adding anything extra. You are still paying exactly the same amount. Jan is not double, because you are only paying for Jan, and catching up with Dec's rent, which is sitting in your bank account.

You are not paying anything extra and the amount is still the same.

Dec + Jan. = $400
Jan + Jan. = $400
The same amount!

M

Miri

Angela is right Blue.

If you cancel the cheque and reissue it you don’t lose a thing financially, Just end up paying Decembers late.

However if you don’t stop the cheque and someone else gets hold of it and fraudently cashes it. You lose that money as you won’t get it back.

A few years ago we received a utility refund by cheque. But it was in mum’s name and she doesn’t have a cheque bank account and is house bound.

So I sent it back with a letter to explain and asked for it to be reissued in my name.

A few months later and after hearing nothing I called the electric company. They said the cheque had been cashed. Not by mum I replied she is house bound.

They sent me a copy of the cheque it had been cashed somewhere in London 300 plus miles away and someone had forged mum’s signature.

The electric company said not their problem so I took the evidence to the bank along with a sample of mum’s actual signature which was vastly different. The bank said they would pass it to their fraud division but the money was lost. So we never got it back.

This might happen to you if you don’t cancel the cheque. Then not only will you have to pay two months in one go, but you will also have lost the December money.

Do you see the difference? At the moment you have not lost any money but if it gets fraudently cashed you will lose that money.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Angela is right Blue.

If you cancel the cheque and reissue it you don’t lose a thing financially, Just end up paying Decembers late.

However if you don’t stop the cheque and someone else gets hold of it and fraudently cashes it. You lose that money as you won’t get it back.

A few years ago we received a utility refund by cheque. But it was in mum’s name and she doesn’t have a cheque bank account and is house bound.

So I sent it back with a letter to explain and asked for it to be reissued in my name.

A few months later and after hearing nothing I called the electric company. They said the cheque had been cashed. Not by mum I replied she is house bound.

They sent me a copy of the cheque it had been cashed somewhere in London 300 plus miles away and someone had forged mum’s signature.

The electric company said not their problem so I took the evidence to the bank along with a sample of mum’s actual signature which was vastly different. The bank said they would pass it to their fraud division but the money was lost. So we never got it back.

This might happen to you if you don’t cancel the cheque. Then not only will you have to pay two months in one go, but you will also have lost the December money.

Do you see the difference? At the moment you have not lost any money but if it gets fraudently cashed you will lose that money.

Yes.. I put a stop payment on it this morning, and signed up for bill pay through my credit union. I just barely sent out an online payment.