violence

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

FollowingtheWay

What I would have done had it been allowed is have a big brother library monitors come in for those boys and had a mentoring/buddy programme. Cos their male teachers cant be there with them ALL the time.
I think you would have been correct.
I’m not sure how non USA schools function. Is there a “school board” or government agency that dictates policy for mentoring/buddy programme in your educational system in NZ? Do educators have any way to appeal school policy? This Might be a good place to start

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think you would have been correct.
I’m not sure how non USA schools function. Is there a “school board” or government agency that dictates policy for mentoring/buddy programme in your educational system? Do educators have any way to appeal school policy? This Might be a good place to start
well this was a private school so it didnt really have a board and was not under MOE (ministry of education)
I wasnt there long enough to be familiar with every aspect of school policy they kind of chucked me in the deep end and expected me to swim

However there was a chess club that was wildly popular and the chess teacher helped in the library before his lessons, but could only come for half an hour.

I got the year 6 boys chess sets as they asked for them to play in the library and this calmed them down, helped them make friends and kept them from bothering the girls, but the primary principal did not approve of this , well actually first she did then she suddenly changed her mind after I already got them, then when she saw them she wasnt happy and was one of the reasons she gave for cutting me.

I was on my way to bonding with these boys and keeping them out of trouble by givng them things to do but she decided that cos I didnt listen to her and didnt submit to her micromanaging that I wasnt meeting her expectations. she was the one who let kids play video games on their devices anyway. Often the ones boys chose were violent video games.

I would have banned ALL devices from the library but wasnt allowed because that school was BYOD and what would happen is boys would crowd round playing violent video games in the library and egging each other on after school boasting how many kills they made.

If I had chess or lego or rubiks cubes in the library they would not have got so addicted to their devices which I would have been unable to monitor or confiscate.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
generally if I gave boys opportunities to become library monitors and trained them they would keep out of trouble, and they genuinely wanted to help even if they were only year 2-4 and not old enough yet, I think some female teachers babied them a bit too much like they would only want year 2s to read picture books when many actually needed more of a challenge. Non fiction and joke books were good for boys but you have to really seek out what will engage them and it will be different for each boy.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
vaping. It’s interesting. In USA briefly it was being marketed as a safe alternative to tobacco. Later the study came out about popcorn lung and excess moisture constantly being inhaled that will actually mold inside you. I had a 22 year old co-worker who got told by a medical doctor this year if he didn’t stop vaping he would be dead from debilitated lung function within 2years at his current excessive vaping use. I think it’s popularity is all the flavors, it’s like tasting your favorite candy plus the nicotine high which is why so many kids find it appealing. Most establishments allow vaping but still ban conventional tobacco use.
Vaping flavors are annoyingly deceptive. I hate it when I'm walking down the street and smell something delicious, and I turned the corner... and it's only Kevin with his cloud of lies!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Has anyone read The story of Ferdinand

Just wondering. He didnt want to fight, he just wanted to lie on the grass and smell the flowers.