Vow to let nothing bug you!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

Nancyer

A couple days ago I was driving to see a client only a few miles from home and realized that since I'd left home I'd verbalized, out loud, at least 5 things that "bug" me. And I was alone. Such minor things that right now I can't remember them but at the time I felt the need to say them out loud.

I stopped in the store parking lot and told God I won't do that any more. I will stop verbalizing the things that "bug" me. I won't roll my eyes, sigh or shake my head. I know this won't be easy and I'll have to catch myself sometimes but I will ask God for help and I remind myself I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)

And this will include not talking with others about the things that bug them or complaining about the world we live in, the country I live in, etc., with others. When the conversation takes that turn I will either change topics or excuse myself, politely. I am no longer focusing on what I don't like but only that which is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8)

Who out there wants to take this vow with me? We will spread no more negativity only love.

God Bless you all!

Oct 31, 2011
I’ve been practicing for years! One day I was going over a hurtful thing that was done and said to me, thinking of what I COULD have said to really fix them, when I thought of this scripture. I wondered if I couldn’t think of something nice instead.

Now I think of a possible nice outcome of that same scene. Sometimes it is a prayer for them or a prayer for me. If your thoughts must relive something, it is much more fun to relive something nice.

I had a deep ulcer that wouldn’t heal for six whole months, with lots of pain. Sometimes the pain was overwhelming, but sometimes I could relive wonderful happenings and sights I have had rather than just live with the pain. Pain and hurts can be just handed over to God to take care of. When we hug them to us it just makes them worse, anyway.

It is wonderful when it is applied to the people in our lives. “Ain’t it just awful” thoughts get replaced with “isn’t that nice” thoughts. God created each one of us and each one is loved by Him. When we see people through God’s eyes, there is something to love in everyone.

It takes a lot of practice. Perhaps someday I'll get it right.

H

hattiebod

It's often said Paul was the very first cognitive behavioral therapist :) as he tells us to renew our minds, fix our eyes on Christ, dwell on what is pure and lovely, give thanks in all things....we can through Christ who convicts us, turn our negative thoughts and 'feelings' into praise for all that is true and sure. If we speak negatively into our lives, we will live negatively. The circumstances do not matter. They really truly do not. Do we often think "But my situation is really bad....unique, no hope here, no chance of any healing, restoring..." But we are not special in our circumstances, unique in our pain. We are quarenteed loss and pain in our lives. What we are also quarenteed is Christs unending faithfulness in our circumstances, that we do not walk alone. We are, in Christ, so much more than mere earthly circumstance. We are to speak praise for God, thanks to Him for all He has done, continues to do and will do.
So, we are to live, speak, think and know ( because He gives us faith too) his sovereignty over our lives. Because He says so. Thank you Jesus! That all is done and I am safe with you, no matter what happens, I have your strength, your love, your forgiveness, patience and hope to draw upon. Thank you, may we continually, in all ways, praise your Holy name. <><

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Amen sister :). I think as we get older the 'negatives' really build up....if we let them. Complaining crowds our gratitude and the seeds of resentment and bitterness are sown.

So I will take that vow with you (though a part of me is rebelling because it really ENJOYS complaining and being a victim)...I will CHOOSE to be grateful and positive and toss out the negative thoughts. Can we hold each other accountable in this?

It will be hard for me. My husband is extremely negative and I'll have to really work on not letting his negativity affect me.

L

ladylynn

Amen Sisters!! :D:) I've been learning to do this for a few years now too. It's gotten a bit better with practice over a time. And seeing the friut of a calmer spirit. :)
The Bible says we overcome evil with good and what you all each described is doing good with our thoughts and words and actions when no one else but God knows. It is truly a spiritual battle that we engage in each day.

We don't "control" much of what goes on in the world, but we are called to learn control over our own attitudes towards the world. I join in with you all too. :D Love Lynn

Last edited:

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I'm going to vow to let no vows bug me.
: )

N

Nancyer

Amen sister :). I think as we get older the 'negatives' really build up....if we let them. Complaining crowds our gratitude and the seeds of resentment and bitterness are sown.

So I will take that vow with you (though a part of me is rebelling because it really ENJOYS complaining and being a victim)...I will CHOOSE to be grateful and positive and toss out the negative thoughts. Can we hold each other accountable in this?

It will be hard for me. My husband is extremely negative and I'll have to really work on not letting his negativity affect me.
Yes, Lucy, we can absolutely hold each other accountable. I'm right here. I stopped myself several times today before the complaining got a tight hold. I sighed, stopped and let it go. Amazing how good that feels once you actually let go.

God bless you. Sleep tight, tomorrow's a brand new day...

I

iTOREtheSKY

Ugh yes...I have dealt with this for years,and always the scripture runs through my head as I am speaking or acting like that,which is out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. It's so easy to complain. I thought after doing some missions work in Haiti when I came back I felt like "Oh,I'll never ever complain again or let things that are non point bug me" Yeah,right...slowly but surely you slip back into those old ways of thinking. The mind really is the battle ground that needs to be renewed each & every day. It's one place that has been so filled with garbage & wrong ways of thought that it must be violently put into submission at times. Great post Nancyer,TY!:)