Warning: This is Not Important. Really.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MissCris

It occurs to me, after re-reading a few of my posts in the forums, that I probably sound like I'm either

A) A crazy person
B) Making things up to appear more interesting than I am
or
C) Living smack in the middle of some kind of weird, western-style zoo

What's actually going on here?

I live kind of in the middle of nowhere. It's technically a "town", but it's so tiny I can't actually call it that. And this non-town is 30 miles from the nearest bigger town, which almost isn't a town, either, but hey, there's a Wal-Mart there. And a McDonald's. And some other places that sell stuff.

But here, there is a post office, and a gas station/general store owned by a woman who, the first time I walked in after moving here, told me to "Watch the store for me while I go mail this (whatever it was)".

And she said this around a toothbrush, because hey, who doesn't brush their teeth at 11:30 in the morning while they're at work and going to the post office and leaving things in the care of a near-stranger?

Right?

We have a very large yard. In the winter and spring, we get a multitude (um, you know, a herd) of cold, hungry deer that sleep under our zillions of trees and eat the dead leaves off the ground.

Actually, we really only have about 40 trees in our yard. Not zillions.

So these deer, they just stand there when I go outside, unless I wave my arms and yell at them about not paying rent or food costs.

And often, they are the sole witnesses to me performing stupid human tricks, and yes, they do appear to be judging me.

Once, I thought they probably would have laughed, except I think they didn't want to encourage me.

We also get a lot of skunks. Because of course, in a yard big enough to be home to 40 trees, it would make no sense not to have a garden that attracts skunks.

And once in a while, they wander into our garage because I forget to close the door pretty frequently, and sometimes I shut them in.

It's sort of a problem.

Back-tracking in a totally random manner, the reason that I had deer judging me the other day was because we also seem to have a weasel that has burrowed underneath the corner fence post in our yard, thereby causing said post to lean inward.

I thought I could just push it, and then kick a few big rocks into the hole. Or rather, the weasel's home.

I've tried this before, but the weasel (actually, I can't positively identify it as a weasel because I think I saw it one time running through the yard, but I had no clue what it was, and also, I have no idea how to properly use Google) just threw the rocks out and kept living there.

Anyhow, my husband hasn't had the time or incentive to fix the leaning post correctly, so I thought I'd do it, and apparently when you throw all of your weight into an unstable fence, it just happens to fall over.

Lesson learned.

And the deer on the other side of the yard watched this whole stupid thing unfold, and they're probably the same deer who trampled my Christmas decorations and pulled the string of lights off of the lilac bush.

Deer vandalism, is what I call it.

And yes, we do have a neighbor who hates the entire "town", and at some point announced to a group of church-goers that she had, indeed, put a hex on us all.

And now she only leaves her house in the dark of night, or during daylight hours in her car, with her pet goat in the back seat.

I have conversations with the wild animals in my yard because I am 27 years old, and the average age of people in this "town" is closer to 60. Not that I have anything against grandparent-age folks, but you just can't hang out with them the same way you apparently can with deer. And skunks. And weasels. And raccoons. And owls.

And, occasionally, coyotes.

So, no, I'm not just a crazy person. I'm a resourceful crazy person, making friends where I find them.

G

This is awesome! I can't wait to read more. Sounds almost like you live in Maine...or Silent Hill.;)

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
owls are fun! I can go out in the woods and do a call and sometimes get several answer back!