Was Moses stammerer?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 7, 2017
Was Moses stammerer?

When the Creator sent Him to go to Egypt, he excused himself saying:

• Exo 4:10 (LEB) -> “And Moses said to Yahweh, "Please, Lord, I am not a man of words, neither recently nor in the past nor since your speaking to your servant, because I am heavy of mouth and of tongue."”.

• Exo 6:12 -> “But Moses said to the LORD, “Behold, the people of Israel have not listened to me. How then shall Pharaoh listen to me, for I am of uncircumcised lips?””.

• Exo 6:30 -> “But Moses said to the LORD, “Behold, I am of uncircumcised lips. How will Pharaoh listen to me?””.

What did Moses mean? Many people say that he was stutterer. Nonetheless, take a look at what Stephen said:

• Act 7:22 -> “And Moses was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and he was mighty in his words and deeds.”

Therefore, Moses’ problem wasn’t stuttering. The problem with Moses is the same as we can see in most of the religious leaders today. They are excellent to preach sermons, give lecture. But, when the subject is debates, they are terrible:

• They aren’t eloquent because the majority of them know the Holy Scripture only shallowly (most of their ken comes from extra-biblical sources) and, for this, can’t convince anybody;
• They are heavy of mouth and tongue (uncircumcised lips) because, when they can’t win the confront, they use of sharp words to hurt their opponent (instead of fulfilling the verse below):
o Tit 1:9 -> “holding to the faithful word which is according to the teaching, that he may be able both to exhort in the sound doctrine, and to convict the gainsayers.”.

If you observe the context, you will see that the Creator was sending Moses to confront pharaoh, king of Egypt.

Of course, it is a very difficult situation but, as the Creator promised to be with His mouth, he would be successful (as He was with Ezekiel’s mouth – Ez 3:26,27). As he didn’t accept readily the Creator’s calling, He wasn’t able to refrain his lips in Meribah (Psa 106:32-33).

The Creator desired to make perfect His power in Moses’ weakness (see 2Cor 12:9,10), but, due to the uncertainty of Moses, the Creator divided His unction between Moses and Aaron. As Aaron spoke well, he didn’t need the Creator’s operation so desperately (he wasn’t so dependent of Him).

For this sake, Moses didn’t have sufficient spiritual force to stay calm in Meribah and, for this, he was hampered to come into the promised land.

So, have a good day accepting what Jesus promised for you readily. Even if you don’t figure out His will or it wasn’t what you, at first, planned, give in on Jesus’ will and this will fulfill in you life:

• Eph 3:20 -> “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,”.