We all KNOW taking the Lord's name vainly is PUNISHABLE, but what about swear words ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GreenNnice

God wrote out to us through the penning of Moses that those who take His name in vain will be 'punished,' or, 'not held guiltless,' for doing such crass action. But, yes.....

...what about swearing?

Does God speak in scripture in old or, through Jesus in new testament, about His will for it , too?

What can happen to one who swears in front of others?

What kind of message is shown unbelievers ? And, how about believers? ? New believers, too?

Can swearing really show your TRUE self that is not who you want to be, but can Christ dwell in you swearing?

What if you are an outstanding citizen, respected highly in your church, and, a swear word falls from your lips? What do you think others will think of you?

S

Sose

i know GOD says we will be acountable for for ever word we say . so we have to watch what we say.because we as people say what we say but dont mean what it means. example when im mad and i say something i done really mean but saying it to cause arger but i would never mean it. but to GOD we will be acountable for ever word spoke vainly .

Jun 24, 2010
God wrote out to us through the penning of Moses that those who take His name in vain will be 'punished,' or, 'not held guiltless,' for doing such crass action. But, yes.....

...what about swearing?

Does God speak in scripture in old or, through Jesus in new testament, about His will for it , too?

What kind of message is shown unbelievers ? And, how about believers? ? New believers, too?

Can swearing really show your TRUE self that is not who you want to be, but can Christ dwell in you swearing?

What if you are an outstanding citizen, respected highly in your church, and, a swear word falls from your lips? What do you think others will think of you?
What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain? Start there so that others can understand.

X

xino

good question Greennice

saying the God's name in vain which is "Jesus Christ" out of the air is a sin.
i don't remember the last time I used it, and i hate hearing it when people do:(

about swearing, it is a sin too!
Jesus said something about swearing

Matthew 5:33
""You have also heard that our ancestors were told, 'You must not break your vows; you must carry out the vows you make to the LORD.'"
is not really talking about profanity but swearing like "I swear on my life/mom/god etc"
but might be my opinion

but this is what Jesus appoints
Matthew 15:11
"It's not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth."

Matthew 5:37: "But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

I don't swear much, but i do when I get surprised or angry.
When typing or chatting, I use swear word but like censoring it.

EDIT
I just came across this site
http://www.biblebelievers.com/jmelton/ChristianCursing.html
the site is unbelievable! If you read what the author wrote, he might be right but I think it's too much man:/ It's like some of the things are made up

Last edited:
G

GreenNnice

What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain? Start there so that others can understand.
Taking the Lord's name in vain can be anything, red . Using it to make a deal in business, for getting a date, or, yes, as xin said, 'out of thin air,' saying Jesus name in vain.

Maybe a better question is , 'What is a swear word?' The S' word, etc., and, no need to go further of mentioning everyone's known swear words. So, yes, God knows our heart, and, what do you think a swesr episode by you does to your heart?

God says to what goes in is good from God but what comes out of man's heart are idolatries, immoralities etc. defilements .

C

Chanson

I think swearing's bad...

Oct 31, 2011
Red33; What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain?
I don't see a difference between taking his name in vain and swearing words.

I think that God is telling us that He is holy, nothing else in our world is holy like He is. If we say or do anything that doesn’t respect that it is wrong.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2011
Of course we need to watch what we say, including *swear* words.
Just as our walk needs to be that of one who is born again, so must all our conduct as well as the words we speak. The gate is narrow and the path is narrow that we walk which leads to the kingdom. Even the bible speaks of the evil of the tongue:

James 3:5-12
See how great a forest a little fire kindles! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. 7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. 8 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? 12 Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.

Thus the importance of avoiding speech that is both evil and displeasing to God.

Here are some other scriptures regarding the language we speak. Take all thoughts into subjection unto Jesus Christ. Examine your hearts and be pleasing to God :)

Ephesians 5:1-4
5 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; 4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Ephesians 4:29
29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

Colossians 3:8-10
8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, 10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,

Colossians 4:5-6
5 Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. 6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.

Matthew 12:37
37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Matthew 15:10-11
10 When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.”

Dec 19, 2009

...what about swearing?

I try not to swear. I think Paul advises us to clean up our language.

E

enochson

You mean like Jesus brothers and sisters and mother saying he was crazy and without a father?

S

SantoSubito

For most people this means the big GD, but I've met others you insist that if your using the Lord's name outside of prayer your using it vain.