We as Christians can learn from other religions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
I am sorry for saying things about the beliefs of others carelessly without regard for what they hold sacred. There are always things people can learn from each other's beliefs and traditions without putting others down.

Aug 6, 2019
I have a friend who is agnostic, but I have learned a lot from him... Well, not FROM him, but because of him. He is one of the best people I know, if not the most moral. It reminds me of Romans 2:12-16. It's a good read, but just verse 13 gets my point across. "For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous."

We as Christians get so caught up in our title as Christians, we can forget what that means. Does it give us some special privileges or rights? We are still held God's Law just as every human is. An unsaved person may not have a relationship with God or an eternal hope, but in the ways of the Law be more righteous.

I like your point Heraldthenews, I think we as Christians forget the meaning of being Christ-followers and find some false consolation in a title instead of our actions.

F

FullyLoved

I am sorry for saying things about the beliefs of others carelessly without regard for what they hold sacred. There are always things people can learn from each other's beliefs and traditions without putting others down.
-Said every idol worshiper in the Bible.
I agree about respecting others traditions and beliefs, and there is no harm in listening (after all, that's what the early disciples did), but when you start to adopt those beliefs that's where the danger lurks. Just look at Solomon and his foreign wives with their foreign practices.

F

FullyLoved

. An unsaved person may not have a relationship with God or an eternal hope, but in the ways of the Law be more righteous.
Jesus fulfilled the law. Where in the Bible does it say that God considers the law for anything? I understand what you are saying, but your comment is a little misleading. A person may be outwardly "good" say a bunch of nice things and not be a convicted criminal, but if he isn't in right standing with God heart-wise, what is there to learn? A person of the world will only teach the things of this world or things of deceptive spirits. That is why we are called to not be part of this world. And before you jump on me about scholarly things, remember the original post was about traditions and things held "sacred". I'm not referring to education.

Aug 6, 2019
Hi FullyLoved! I wasn't saying that I was learning from him, but because of him. I learned to not just be under my Christian huddle, but to be strong in my faith outside of just my Christian friends. It was really good growth for me. If a Christian can only stay strong in their faith among other Christians, how strong and true is their faith?
You asked where in the bible does God consider the law for anything? Romans 7:12 says it best I think:
So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.
I recommend reading it in context as it just adds that much more flavor.

Either way, I can agree with you, FullyLoved, that we should take this back to what it was originally - a reminder from Heraldthenews that we as Christians can learn about non-Christian traditions and religions without being affected by them.

Jul 20, 2019
very dangerous path to travel, Jesus is the only way and the bible is the only owners manual. We detest mankind's traditions, religious dogma, ideology and mankind thinking. Gods ideals and word never changes, its the world that has changed, not him.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
We can certainly learn THINGS from lost people.
We just don't want to learn (emulate) their spiritual views.

Because, by definition, the spiritual views of a lost person are WRONG VIEWS.

If they had right views of spiritual things... then they wouldn't be lost.

Denny78

Aug 14, 2019
very dangerous path to travel, Jesus is the only way and the bible is the only owners manual. We detest mankind's traditions, religious dogma, ideology and mankind thinking. Gods ideals and word never changes, its the world that has changed, not him.
AMEN!

Denny78

Aug 14, 2019
We can certainly learn THINGS from lost people.
We just don't want to learn (emulate) their spiritual views.

Because, by definition, the spiritual views of a lost person are WRONG VIEWS.

If they had right views of spiritual things... then they wouldn't be lost.

If they aren't SAVED they are also lost

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I have a friend who is agnostic, but I have learned a lot from him... Well, not FROM him, but because of him. He is one of the best people I know, if not the most moral. It reminds me of Romans 2:12-16. It's a good read, but just verse 13 gets my point across. "For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous."

We as Christians get so caught up in our title as Christians, we can forget what that means. Does it give us some special privileges or rights? We are still held God's Law just as every human is. An unsaved person may not have a relationship with God or an eternal hope, but in the ways of the Law be more righteous.

I like your point Heraldthenews, I think we as Christians forget the meaning of being Christ-followers and find some false consolation in a title instead of our actions.
If it was true that believers in Christ are still accountable to keep God's law, then we are all doomed! And that because we are unable to keep it perfectly, which is what is required. And I can tell you that not one person is keeping the law. Not one!

Jesus fulfilled the law satisfying it perfectly and that on our behalf. As the scriptures state, "no one will be justified by keeping the law." Have you never read "For Christ has already accomplished the purpose for which the law was given. As a result, all who believe in him are made right with God."

Whenever someone brings in their own requirements for salvation in addition to the Lord's finished work on the cross, it is the same as saying that His sacrifice was insufficient.

By trusting in Christ as the One who provided salvation completely and fully, it puts our focus on Him. In opposition, when anyone trusts in the keeping of the works of the law, it puts the focus on our own efforts.

While it is true that true believers are zealous for good works, it is not for the sake of salvation, but to glorify God. And by doing so we are also building up our treasures in heaven. However salvation has already been provided by the Lord, completely and fully.

The sting of death is sin and the power of sin is the law.

"God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. " (NLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.