Weaknesses

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 3, 2010
I read an interesting book a couple of years ago - it was called "The Catholic Imagination".

The premise was that when Catholics fall into heretic beliefs and practices they tend to fall in the direction of superstition. When Protestants fall into heresy they tend to fall towards Deism.

The reason Catholics fall into superstition is because their religious practice tends to involve all the senses (incense, stain glass, holy water, homilies, etc) and the mind and is often tactile - crossing yourself, blessing with holy water. Also, for Catholics, God's influence is everywhere we look - holy water, the Eucharist - St. Francis viewed animals and plants as saints because they were acting exactly how God created them to act. Even Catholics that fall away from the church completely still cross themselves - you cannot easily take the catholic out of a person

Protestants tend to limit religious practice to their minds - right doctrine is paramount, reading the word is emphasized. God is often viewed as far away by pew-sitters - The Watchmaker god, the man upstairs, or simply a concept.

The book really made a lot of sense to me - and it taught me why we tend to judge each other so harshly. Protestants are afraid of magic and superstition - it rubs the Western Enlightened mind the wrong way. Catholics are afraid of God being seen as distant - we want to be involved in our faith - that is why the liturgy is so important to us - it connects us to God in a rich and meaningful way.

Catholics tolerate superstition from their pew-sitters - which frightens Protestants when they see it. Protestants tolerate Deism from their pew-sitters - as long as they have right doctrine and claim to follow the same Christ they are tolerated. Catholics are not as worried about about right doctrine as they are about an unwillingness to join the community in participating in Mass.

Although these are all generallizations, I thought the book had a point. It reminded me that I am apart of a church that holds different standards for religious practice then my old Protestant tradition. And even though I can see the value of both traditions it helps me to be more likely to judge each tradition by it's own standards, rather than each others.

M

Mal316

Although these are all generallizations, I thought the book had a point. It reminded me that I am apart of a church that holds different standards for religious practice then my old Protestant tradition. And even though I can see the value of both traditions it helps me to be more likely to judge each tradition by it's own standards, rather than each others.
I think this is an important lesson. It's very easy to mock or denigrate that which we don't understand. It's easy to compare someone's beliefs or practices to our beliefs and practices and find where that person is lacking. Oh, they don't believe this or they do believe that, they must be [fill in your own pejorative].

G

greatkraw

I read an interesting book a couple of years ago - it was called "The Catholic Imagination".

The premise was that when Catholics fall into heretic beliefs and practices they tend to fall in the direction of superstition. When Protestants fall into heresy they tend to fall towards Deism.

The reason Catholics fall into superstition is because their religious practice tends to involve all the senses (incense, stain glass, holy water, homilies, etc) and the mind and is often tactile - crossing yourself, blessing with holy water. Also, for Catholics, God's influence is everywhere we look - holy water, the Eucharist - St. Francis viewed animals and plants as saints because they were acting exactly how God created them to act. Even Catholics that fall away from the church completely still cross themselves - you cannot easily take the catholic out of a person

Protestants tend to limit religious practice to their minds - right doctrine is paramount, reading the word is emphasized. God is often viewed as far away by pew-sitters - The Watchmaker god, the man upstairs, or simply a concept.

The book really made a lot of sense to me - and it taught me why we tend to judge each other so harshly. Protestants are afraid of magic and superstition - it rubs the Western Enlightened mind the wrong way. Catholics are afraid of God being seen as distant - we want to be involved in our faith - that is why the liturgy is so important to us - it connects us to God in a rich and meaningful way.

Catholics tolerate superstition from their pew-sitters - which frightens Protestants when they see it. Protestants tolerate Deism from their pew-sitters - as long as they have right doctrine and claim to follow the same Christ they are tolerated. Catholics are not as worried about about right doctrine as they are about an unwillingness to join the community in participating in Mass.

this is interesting; what do you mean by deism?