Were the New Testament people that the Apostles taught really real?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Vindicator

Nov 11, 2021
Try to stand in their shoes before replying,. Imagine yourself, immerse yourself in that period and think how they would have thought if they heard or read about bible prophecy.

Yes, they were applying the prophecies to themselves, and believed it was on the way to fulfillment in their time. But as it turned out, Biblical prophecy was not fulfilled in their time after all, and the apostle Peter hinted it wouldn't be in his 2nd letter. This is why after 70 A.D. the teaching of the church became that the Lord would not finish His work until the "seventh day," i.e. after 6,000 years of human history had passed, and according to the Jewish calendar we are not there yet.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
My apologies, I said “so called Christian” because I didn’t know who she was. She was someone I struck up a conversation with on the street. I couldn’t connect with her on any level. Everything seems about the church she was going to, the pastor. I don’t think I heard anything about Jesus. So, I didn’t know what kind of believer she was.
Fair comment. Only 4% or so church attenders are born again. Even so, I think snap judgements are best avoided.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
think about it from their perspective i think is what they are saying. think about if from their perspective, not ours now in the future here.
How can we know their perspective any more than they know our perspective?
The thing all generations have in common is our sinfulness and that's real for all generations.
Otherwise...I think this thread is more like AWOKEinprogress rather than AWORKinprogress.

P

pottersclay

To learn how the people of the first church thought we need a study of the first church fathers such as Origen, Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp, and Papias.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that a study of Revelation was vital to their understanding of God. They were familiar with the three fall feasts God asked to be celebrated, those feasts tell is in plain words what the last days will be like.

The book of Revelations wraps its information so thoroughly into symbolic language that can be played out in different ways of the material world that we cannot know exactly how the Lord will make it all happen. Trying to solve it is foolishness.

P

pottersclay

All the apostles taught from the old testament as they preached the new. Johns writings were never known to them.
But God was filling in the blanks.
Paul never read johns writings he went to glory before the ink meant the paper.
Peter, paul and the rest preached Christ crucified the missing link to there understanding of what the prophets were saying.
Hearing all the good news I'm sure they heard that the christ would return. I'm sure they were taught of the signs of his coming.
I'm sure that the details were all in their old testament scrolls. It just made more sense now.
70 ad was for sure terrifying with the temple destroyed and the horrific persecution taking place. One back then would say are these the end of days. Did we miss the Lords day. Then there might of been others that said "did not that prophet from nazareth speak of this?"
Before the regathering there had to be a scattering as the Lord declared. That's what 70ad was all about the further scattering the Lord talked about for Israel his people. Some say this was a punishment from God for the crucifixion of jesus. I say not so for two reasons. Jesus said " no man takes my life but I lay it down. And in revelation jesus returns to "the house of his friends.
The jews brought it on there selves by saying "may his blood be upon us and our children and our children children" a traditional oath of old. Some serious stuff.
Anyways I don't think they were confused by end time events. And I'm for sure they were real.😉😉