What counts as swearing/curse words?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Be_Evergreen

I used to think that a swear was any of those 13-and-more, harsh-sounding utterances. Now I'm wondering- are the lesser words that can also be uttered in anger curse words as well?

Ex: "Darn it". "Crud". "Crap". The replacement words treated in the place of swearing. They sound more pleasing to the ear... but to God?

Is it all in how the word is used?

Feb 16, 2011
for the record the definition of swearing in the bibe is to take an oath or promise. it has nothing to do with bad words.

S

syborg

for the record the definition of swearing in the bibe is to take an oath or promise. it has nothing to do with bad words.
Could you imagine Jesus saying OH F**K when he hit his thumb with a hammer?

No . neither can I?

Oct 12, 2011
I used to think that a swear was any of those 13-and-more, harsh-sounding utterances. Now I'm wondering- are the lesser words that can also be uttered in anger curse words as well?

Ex: "Darn it". "Crud". "Crap". The replacement words treated in the place of swearing. They sound more pleasing to the ear... but to God?

It's all about the Heart condition.

Blessings

K

keshka

Could you imagine Jesus saying OH F**K when he hit his thumb with a hammer?

No . neither can I?
Because the English language as we know it had yet to be invented?

Besides, I bet Jesus was an ace carpenter, who would never have hit his own thumb!

Seriously now:

It's not the words we say that matter, it's the feelings they convey. I mean, I could stub my toe on a table and say all sorts of kid-friendly substitute swear words, such as 'darn', 'flip' or 'grrr!' But the feeling behind the outburst would be unchanged.

So long as people refrain from swearing in front of kids, I don't see the harm. After all, it's better to show our feelings than to keep them bottled up.

shemaiah

Jan 28, 2011
Honestly, its disappointing seeing many people including christians living on a thin straight line that separates right from wrong. Trying hard to justify everything they see so that they can do them, I wonder why. Life is more than just about right and wrong, it is also about making the correct principals in your life that will guide you in being a true ambassador of the Kingdom of God. Stop trying hard to do anything as long as it is not wrong but do things that are will build you up. God bless

Dec 19, 2009

I don’t think the examples you use are swear words.