What does it "REALLY" mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Paul most certainly believed Jesus was God as well as human, and so he is talking historical monotheism in this passage, as opposed to polytheism.
Paul believed that Jesus was God as well as human? Why didn’t he include that message in his preaching?

Acts 17:16-31

Now while Paul was waiting for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the city was full of idols. So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and in the marketplace every day with those who happened to be there. Some of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers also conversed with him. And some said, “What does this babbler wish to say?” Others said, “He seems to be a preacher of foreign divinities”—because he was preaching Jesus and the resurrection. And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? For you bring some strange things to our ears. We wish to know therefore what these things mean.” Now all the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there would spend their time in nothing except telling or hearing something new.

So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: “Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription: ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, for

“‘In him we live and move and have our being’;

as even some of your own poets have said,

“‘For we are indeed his offspring.’

Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man. The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.”

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Phillipians 2:5-8

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
Perhaps you misread what I wrote. Here it is again: Please point me to the verse where Jesus teaches that he has two natures.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
“By nearly all accounts, at the end of the first century C.E., strict monotheism had long been one of the pillars of Judaism.”

(James D.G. Dunn, The Partings of the Ways Between Christianity and Judaism and Their Significance for the Character of Christianity)

Strict monotheism is Jewish monotheism. The terms are equivalent and interchangeable.

Jesus was a Jewish monotheist = Jesus was a strict monotheist.
Disregard this post.

bluto

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
Paul believed that Jesus was God as well as human? Why didn’t he include that message in his preaching?

Acts 17:16-31

Now while Paul was waiting for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the city was full of idols. So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and in the marketplace every day with those who happened to be there. Some of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers also conversed with him. And some said, “What does this babbler wish to say?” Others said, “He seems to be a preacher of foreign divinities”—because he was preaching Jesus and the resurrection. And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? For you bring some strange things to our ears. We wish to know therefore what these things mean.” Now all the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there would spend their time in nothing except telling or hearing something new.

So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: “Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription: ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, for

“‘In him we live and move and have our being’;

as even some of your own poets have said,

“‘For we are indeed his offspring.’

Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man. The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.”
This is such a "juvenile" question when you said, "Why didn't Paul include that message in his preaching?" What your doing in "logic" is making an argument from silence. In other words, your drawing a conclusion based on a lack of evidence.

You want sister Angela to show you where the Apostle Paul preached that Jesus was God in the book of Acts. Since Paul did not preach Jesus is God in Acts, why don't you believe that Paul said He was God in other books of the Bible? Titus 2:13 comes to mind.

Did the Apostle Peter teach that Jesus was God in the book of Acts? How do you answer eternalfire? Do you accept Peter's declaration at 2 Peter 1:1? "Simon Peter a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of OUR GOD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST."

And guess what? Since you deny the deity of Jesus Christ you (as the Apostle Peter just stated) DO NOT HAVE THE SAME KIND OF FAITH AS OURS. In other words, your on the outside of Jesus Christ looking in.

And btw, I was "NOT" mistaken when I gave you Philippians 2:5-8 regarding the two natures of Jesus Christ. The same argument I gave you above applies here as well. I guarantee you, Jesus could say the exact words, "I am God" and you still would not believe Him. He could say, "I have two natures" and you still would not bleieve Him.

Like I said to Mattathias (who I see has been banned) Jeremiah 12:5, "If you have run with footman and they have tired you out, Then how can you compete with horses?" In other words, if your still drinking baby formula you will never be able to drink whole milk.

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
This is such a "juvenile" question when you said, "Why didn't Paul include that message in his preaching?" What your doing in "logic" is making an argument from silence. In other words, your drawing a conclusion based on a lack of evidence.

You want sister Angela to show you where the Apostle Paul preached that Jesus was God in the book of Acts. Since Paul did not preach Jesus is God in Acts, why don't you believe that Paul said He was God in other books of the Bible? Titus 2:13 comes to mind.

Did the Apostle Peter teach that Jesus was God in the book of Acts? How do you answer eternalfire? Do you accept Peter's declaration at 2 Peter 1:1? "Simon Peter a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of OUR GOD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST."

And guess what? Since you deny the deity of Jesus Christ you (as the Apostle Peter just stated) DO NOT HAVE THE SAME KIND OF FAITH AS OURS. In other words, your on the outside of Jesus Christ looking in.

And btw, I was "NOT" mistaken when I gave you Philippians 2:5-8 regarding the two natures of Jesus Christ. The same argument I gave you above applies here as well. I guarantee you, Jesus could say the exact words, "I am God" and you still would not believe Him. He could say, "I have two natures" and you still would not bleieve Him.

Like I said to Mattathias (who I see has been banned) Jeremiah 12:5, "If you have run with footman and they have tired you out, Then how can you compete with horses?" In other words, if your still drinking baby formula you will never be able to drink whole milk.

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
I am glad you agree that Jesus never said, "I am God."

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Why? In your mind is this suppose to prove that He is not God?

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
So we can focus on what Jesus did say.

The woman said to him, “I know that the Messiah is coming, the one called the Anointed; when he comes, he will tell us everything.” Jesus said to her, “I am he, the one who is speaking with you” (John 4:25-26).