What does it take to be a Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheGrungeDiva

This question has come up on another board that I frequent, and I thought it might spark some interesting discussion here. I know that certain denominations have certain tenets and theologies that set them apart from others. For example, the Roman Catholic Church requires acceptance of the authority of the Pope.

I'm wondering if we can come up with a definition of what makes a person a Christian that we all could agree on, that would exclude no one who is a Christian, but include only Christians?

I might start with the following: A person who believes that Jesus is the Christ.

Would anyone want to add anything to that? Do you fee that would include anyone who is not a Christian?

Or does anyone think that's too restrictive?

R

rodogg

I wouldn't say a person who BELIEVES that Jesus is the Christ only: someone could believe and reject, but I would say someone who believes and loves/follows Jesus in his heart.

T

TheGrungeDiva

I wouldn't say a person who BELIEVES that Jesus is the Christ only: someone could believe and reject, but I would say someone who believes and loves/follows Jesus in his heart.
I don't think anyone could believe that Jesus is the Christ and reject. How would that work? Can you name one person who believes that Jesus is the Christ and yet rejects him? Can you even imagine someone who does that? In order to reject Jesus, you would have to reject that He is the Christ, which would contradict the sentence.

Scripture says that the demons believe and tremble. That I can imagine. But they are demons, not humans. I think you would have to be a demon to be able to believe in what Jesus is and still reject him. The only way I can fathom rejecting Jesus is not to believe what he is.

The reason I didn't add "follow Jesus" is because we all sin. If you put "following Jesus" as a requirement, then no one is a Christian, because none of us are able to follow Jesus, really and truly. Jesus said, "Where I am going, you cannot go." Jesus died, so that we don't have to.

I would be willing to add "love him" though.

A Christian is someone who believes that Jesus is the Christ, and loves and worships him as such.

How about that?

R

rodogg

I don't think anyone could believe that Jesus is the Christ and reject. How would that work? Can you name one person who believes that Jesus is the Christ and yet rejects him? Can you even imagine someone who does that? In order to reject Jesus, you would have to reject that He is the Christ, which would contradict the sentence.

Scripture says that the demons believe and tremble. That I can imagine. But they are demons, not humans. I think you would have to be a demon to be able to believe in what Jesus is and still reject him. The only way I can fathom rejecting Jesus is not to believe what he is.

The reason I didn't add "follow Jesus" is because we all sin. If you put "following Jesus" as a requirement, then no one is a Christian, because none of us are able to follow Jesus, really and truly. Jesus said, "Where I am going, you cannot go." Jesus died, so that we don't have to.

I would be willing to add "love him" though.

A Christian is someone who believes that Jesus is the Christ, and loves and worships him as such.

How about that?
Well I think my sentence made sense, at least to me. I was thinking along these lines: As an example, someone "finds" God, for want of a better phrase, or they come to know Him. They can, however, because of their free will, choose not to FOLLOW, which is the key principal of Christianity. And it is a crazy thought, but quite common. Say someone who is a good Christian, then maybe they have sufferings that they can't deal with and push God away and live a sinful life, rejecting Him. We all sin, but we then try to ask forgiveness and keep pushing forward with God. I'm talking a major rejection of God, which any of us CAN do. Well that's my thoughts :p But yeah, loves and worships Him is good. ;)