what does this verse mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

simplyme_bekah

Matthew 18:18
Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. ???? This confuses me and I have no idea what it means. Help plz? :D Thank You!!!

Sep 8, 2012
Well, remember Jesus is speaking to His disciples.
Who were the original church.
Those who believe in Him are too-(His church).
Remember also, the Word says greater is He that is within you(Jesus), than he(Lucifer) who is in the world.
So as I see it, Jesus is commending His disciples to take control of the spiritual heavenlies.
Remember how Jesus not only withstood Satan's temptations, but defeated him at the cross?
Seems clear to me He is saying they(the true church) have power over the 'prince of the power of the air'-(Satan).
Does this mean that anyone of His body(the church) can call down material gifts? - Of course not.
God don't play that. - But what He does do is break down spiritual strong holds through His body.
It's funny how none of His servants pray for wealth and fame,........too much in Love with Him I guess.

S

simplyme_bekah

Thank you Rick, that made perfect sense to me. God Bless brotha :D

Sep 8, 2012
And bless you Bekah! (Hope your hubby is recuperating and doing well.):)

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

Peter also with stood Simeon the sorcerer who wanted to be accepted as a member of the body of Christ forbade him as accepted in the Lord Jesus with warning of hell impending for his attempt at buying the ability to lay hands on believers to see the holy spirit fill them. Included along with John's epistles 1,2,3, his reason to write the saints in 1,2,3, John warning about those who mistreated believers i.e. decievers warnings to stay away from or binding their approval and loosing the freedom of fellowship in love light and truth genuinely in Jesus .

S

SpaceCowboy

RickShafer pretty much got it. The verse pertains to the Spiritual high places. John 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained."""" Goes along with it. How the Christian effects the Spiritual realm is by faith and love. And so it doesn't mean that we have this crazy spiritual power. It just means that we can effect great change for others and ourselves by the love of Christ through faith. If the ultimate goal is the salvation of others, then whatever we loose or bound in heaven will be loosed or bound because were acting on behalf of Christ for others wellbeing. It's all about Kingdom expansion.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
From Gotquestions.org:

Answer: The concept of “binding and loosing” is taught in the Bible in Matthew 16:19: “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” In this verse, Jesus is speaking directly to the apostle Peter and indirectly to the other apostles. Jesus' words meant that Peter would have the right to enter the kingdom himself, that he would have general authority symbolized by the possession of the keys, and that preaching the gospel would be the means of opening the kingdom of heaven to all believers and shutting it against unbelievers. The book of Acts shows us this process at work. By his sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:14-40), Peter opened the door of the kingdom for the first time. The expressions “bind” and “loose” were common to Jewish legal phraseology meaning to declare something forbidden or to declare it allowed.

Peter and the other disciples were to continue Christ’s work on earth in preaching the gospel and declaring God's will to men, and they were armed with the same authority as He possessed. In Matthew 18:18, there is also a definite reference to the binding and loosing in the context of church discipline. The apostles do not usurp Christ's lordship and authority over individual believers and their eternal destiny, but they do exercise the authority to discipline and, if necessary, excommunicate disobedient church members.

Christ in heaven ratifies what is done in His name and in obedience to His Word on earth. In both Matthew 16:19 and 18:18, the syntax of the Greek text makes the meaning clear. What you bind on earth will have already been bound in heaven. What you loose on earth will have already been loosed in heaven. In other words, Jesus in heaven looses the authority of His Word as it goes forth on earth for the fulfillment of its purpose. What does the Bible mean by binding and loosing?

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
From CRI:

Is the “binding and loosing” of demons biblical?

One of the most common expressions in contemporary Christianity is “I bind you, Satan, in the name of Jesus.” Biblically however, the phrase “binding and loosing” has nothing whatsoever to do with demons.
First, when Jesus told the disciples, “Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven” (Matthew 16:19), he was not talking about demons but discipline. In other words, in the context of church discipline, those who repent are to be “loosed” (i.e., restored to fellowship). Those who persist in sin are to be “bound” (i.e., removed from fellowship). Demons are totally foreign to the context.
Furthermore, humans are not authorized anywhere in Scripture to “bind or loose” Satan. Even the archangel Michael did not tackle Satan on his own. Despite his wisdom and power, he called on God to rebuke Satan. Christians should never suppose that they are smart enough to engage Satan on their own. Rather they, like Michael, should pray, “The Lord rebuke you” (Jude 9).
Finally, while it makes sense to ask the Lord to “bind” the power of demons in the sense of thwarting their plans to undo us, to “loose” Satan and his minions makes no sense at all. Thus, common sense alone should be enough to convince us that biblically “binding and loosing” has nothing whatsoever to do with demons.
For further study on biblical spiritual warfare, see Hank Hanegraaff, The Covering: God’s Plan to Protect You from Evil (Nashville:W Publishing, 2002).
Matthew 18:15–20
“If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector. “I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” Is the “binding and loosing” of demons biblical? | CRI

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
The context at Matthew 18:18 shows that Jesus was talking about settling problems between individual believers and keeping the congregation clean of unrepentant evildoers.

In matters involving serious violations of God’s law, responsible men in the congregation would have to judge matters. Their decisions should accurately reflect the way Jehovah and Christ consider the matter. Compare 2 Chronicles 19:6-10. What they decide as to whether a wrongdoer should be symbolically “bound” (viewed as guilty) or “loosed” (acquitted) on earth should be what has already been bound or loosed in heaven-as revealed by what is written in the inspired Word of God.

R

RachelBibleStudent

binding and loosing are functions of the keys jesus mentioned...keys are made to lock and unlock...

specifically the keys to the kingdom of heaven are for locking or unlocking heaven...

you can unlock heaven to someone by announcing the forgiveness won by jesus to a repentant believer...or you can lock heaven to someone by refusing this assurance of salvation to an unrepentant or unbelieving person...