What exactly is an Unbeliever?

• Thread starter BlackTigress777
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BlackTigress777

Paul states:

"Now, I will speak to the rest of you, though I do not have a direct command from the Lord. If a Christian man has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to continue living with him, he must not leave her. And if a Christian woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to continue living with her, she must not leave him. For the Christian wife brings holiness to her marriage, and the Christian husband brings holiness to his marriage. Otherwise, your children would not be holy, but now they are holy. (But if the husband or wife who isn’t a believer insists on leaving, let them go. In such cases the Christian husband or wife is no longer bound to the other, for God has called you to live in peace.)"

I've asked a question about divorce before, if you would still be considered an adulterer if you divorce because of abuse. Then I found many christians saying that if the wife or husband becomes abusive, they Become an unbeliever.

I always thought that an unbeliever was a person who's an athiest. Is that wrong?

Sep 7, 2012
Abuser does not mean unbeliever sorry that is just not true. It shows lack of faith on his part for sure but belief is not the same as faith. What a jackal like that needs is time spent in jail. AND you and the kids get away as fast as possible.

E

eternally-gratefull

An unbeliever is anyone who rejects the ONE gospel of Christ. One can be an unbeliever and still believe in Christ. but is following a different gospel.

Dec 14, 2009
Great question.

The straightforward answer is 'someone who does not believe in 'insert doctrinal requirement here'.

But keep asking that question to yourself. It's much more (and much less) than that.

What is belief?

What is true belief?

What is 'faith'?

Who is 'condemned' and who is 'saved'?

And saved from what exactly.

There are the obvious answers to this.

But look into the hebrew and aramaic, the old jeqish views of God, of Satan, of the Christ, the resurrection of saviour and men, and the Revelation of God.

Question. EVERYTHING.

P

psychomom

Great question.

The straightforward answer is 'someone who does not believe in 'insert doctrinal requirement here'.

But keep asking that question to yourself. It's much more (and much less) than that.

What is belief?

What is true belief?

What is 'faith'?

Who is 'condemned' and who is 'saved'?

And saved from what exactly.

There are the obvious answers to this.

But look into the hebrew and aramaic, the old jeqish views of God, of Satan, of the Christ, the resurrection of saviour and men, and the Revelation of God.

Question. EVERYTHING.
If we are to claim the God of the Bible (Who is the only God, btw), we must also say that the words of the Bible will supply our doctrine.
Doctrine is not some evil thing to be despised. It is a school of thought drawn from the Word of God; a belief that we accept as authoritative because He said it.

Correct biblical doctrine is important, and should be taught precept by precept by someone with the spiritual gift of teaching in the local church. We don't get to make up whatever doctrine suits us if we are to be Christ's disciples.
There are things in the Word of God that our flesh hates, and things that are difficult to accept. It may take us years to agree with God, but He will faithfully give grace to all who have been given faith to believe upon the sacrifice of Christ so they can do just that.

May 29, 2012
If we are to claim the God of the Bible (Who is the only God, btw), we must also say that the words of the Bible will supply our doctrine.
Doctrine is not some evil thing to be despised. It is a school of thought drawn from the Word of God; a belief that we accept as authoritative because He said it.

Correct biblical doctrine is important, and should be taught precept by precept by someone with the spiritual gift of teaching in the local church. We don't get to make up whatever doctrine suits us if we are to be Christ's disciples.
There are things in the Word of God that our flesh hates, and things that are difficult to accept. It may take us years to agree with God, but He will faithfully give grace to all who have been given faith to believe upon the sacrifice of Christ so they can do just that.
If you believe that He truly is the only God, then you should see no other! Doctrines based on knowledge only serves the rich. The bible is indeed God inspired, but it is but a book. It neither walks nor talks. No ears to hear or eyes to see.

How can a book discriminate between a mother stealing food to feed her hungry babies and a rich banker stealing a little extra change to buy himself another play car?

It is written that stealing deserves death by the book. But beloved we walk and talk! I say we have ears to hear and eyes to see!

The Word is ALIVE, and the light of men. I ask all, which is greater? The Law or the One who GAVE IT? Nor does He exist because of a law.

But in knowledge and doctrines by it, men become puffed up by gain in the law.

We know stealing is wrong, but what law helped the mother trying to feed her kids? For verily if a law could have been given to impart life, then righteousness would have indeed came by the law, and proper doctrine.

But our spirit is not of the law as our Father is God. He is love, for which there is no law.

When jesus healed a man on the sabbath day, He asked of which is easier to SAY? To get up off your bed and walk, or you have been forgiven of your sins?

People were amazed at Him healing the man, but I say that's NOT power! That was only proof to point to TRUE POWER! THAT HE HAS THE POWER TO FORGIVE SINS.

There is no law for forgiveness! And with THIS power, We who love Him will do even GREATER WORKS!

P

psychomom

It is but a book???

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
(Hebrews 4:12)

May 29, 2012
It is but a book???

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
(Hebrews 4:12)

John 5:39-40

39*Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

40*And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

P

psychomom

39*Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

I could do this all day, but here's my response.
I realize you, like Mediate, are a universalist.
It's strictly un Biblical, so I am not surprised you have no respect for the Word of God.

Jesus is the LOGOS...the Word.
What do we say to this?

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16)

By referring to this, when you read you can understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit (Eph. 3:4,5)

What was revealed by the holy apostles and prophets is made known to us through the Bible.

For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.

For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Cor. 2:10-16)

Interesting that you seek to use the Bible to say the Bible is "but a book".
I won't say more here out of respect for the OP, whose thread I have already trampled all over. :(

I am sorry, BlackTigress777! I ask you to forgive me. :eek:

If we wish to discuss this further, may I suggest we begin a thread for it?

A

AgeofKnowledge

An unbeliever is someone who has not believed in Christ as the source of salvation.

Jesus said to the unbelievers of His day: "I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.” (John 8:24).

E

eternally-gratefull

He is confronting them. They as people who knew the OT by heart should have seen him as Christ, but they did not interpret him because they thought they were already saved by the law. Which is why they thought they had life.

if they would have interpreted the OT correctly, they would have come to Jesus for life.

Jesus is not saying the bible is just a book. if it is just a book. there must not be a God.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Paul states:

"Now, I will speak to the rest of you, though I do not have a direct command from the Lord. If a Christian man has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to continue living with him, he must not leave her. And if a Christian woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to continue living with her, she must not leave him. For the Christian wife brings holiness to her marriage, and the Christian husband brings holiness to his marriage. Otherwise, your children would not be holy, but now they are holy. (But if the husband or wife who isn’t a believer insists on leaving, let them go. In such cases the Christian husband or wife is no longer bound to the other, for God has called you to live in peace.)"

I've asked a question about divorce before, if you would still be considered an adulterer if you divorce because of abuse. Then I found many christians saying that if the wife or husband becomes abusive, they Become an unbeliever.

I always thought that an unbeliever was a person who's an athiest. Is that wrong?
No Christian husband will abuse his wife and vice versa, so I'd say they are an unbeliever.
Divorce is not the will of God. He expects believing couples to love and forgive each another, advocate peace and unity, and try to resolve marital issues rather than resorting to divorce. In the case of a believer marrying an unbeliever or martial abuse separation is permissible.
The bible says "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers..." because a marriage can be very unpleasant when spouses are not in agreement spiritually, the saved spouse will most likely compromise their faith. So, we should seek God's will and make sure that we are ready for this lifelong commitment.

Dec 14, 2009

I never said we should make anything up. Nor to go by precepts.

Nor did I try to teach a specific interpretation of doctrine. I gave her the advice that she should question what she hears.

Why do you think there are so many different doctrines?

So many ignorant people who believe exactly what they are told?

There are thousand of pastors, ministers and preachers and many of them teaching a different message.

There is nobody who has authority over me but God. And the same with the girl posting this question.

So again, search it for YOURSELF. As a young woman, your mind is malleable.

Mould it to love and see God's word as such.

For God is love.

Do not simply accept what anyone tells you, not even me. Search it for yourself.

Dec 14, 2009
I could do this all day, but here's my response.
I realize you, like Mediate, are a universalist.
It's strictly un Biblical, so I am not surprised you have no respect for the Word of God.

Jesus is the LOGOS...the Word.
What do we say to this?

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16)

By referring to this, when you read you can understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit (Eph. 3:4,5)

What was revealed by the holy apostles and prophets is made known to us through the Bible.

For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.

For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Cor. 2:10-16)

Interesting that you seek to use the Bible to say the Bible is "but a book".
I won't say more here out of respect for the OP, whose thread I have already trampled all over. :(

I am sorry, BlackTigress777! I ask you to forgive me. :eek:

If we wish to discuss this further, may I suggest we begin a thread for it?

Again, putting someone in a box because of the way they interpret, and saying my box has tears but yours doesn't, is the work of a man, of a human, not of God.

I believe that even you, believing different than me, are a child of God.

Again, search for yourself young woman. Do not believe because someone has a doctrine that is more accepted by men. Do not even accept mine, or what anyone says. Search it for yourself.

Dec 14, 2009
For even as Psychomom says, that the bible leads us to the right doctrine, it supplies us, she is right.

So listen neither to her nor to me, and go and let the bible say to you what it says to you.

For as I am no perfect person, neither is she. but Jesus is.

Dec 14, 2009
God sees all. Remember that.

Every secret, every thought. Every conversation, every move we make. God knows. God is aware.

For the Kingdom of God is within us.

Search it for yourself, though. Do not take my word for it.

P

psychomom

God sees all. Remember that.

Every secret, every thought. Every conversation, every move we make. God knows. God is aware.

For the Kingdom of God is within us.

Search it for yourself, though. Do not take my word for it.
*whispering*
not sure who you're talking to any more, but if it's to me, please consider joining us in the thread angel of mercy began? :)

*backs out, offering another apology to BlackTigress* ♥