What happens when we DIE!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 12, 2009
Daniel 12 2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt

Rev. 20 4I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection.

First, how do you reconcile the old testament understanding of death with the NT? Were the prophets lying or misinformed?

Psalms 13:3 David said that death was a sleep, Eccl 9:5 says "the dead know nothing" only a couple of times in the old testament does anyone say, someone went to heaven, obviously those who did, Enoch and elisha did something so odd it was worth mentioning, and Moses too, although he died, then G-d raised him. Why would this be documented if it is the normal process?

And what about all the old testament people that died before Jesus came to fulfill his mission...did they go to heaven or hell ( if it is a physical place such as the grave) and if Jesus had failed his mission, G-d just kicks them out? Paul was a former member of the Sanhedrian. They believed in the actual death of the body and resurrection of the individual at the coming of G-d. That is why they are buried at the sheep gate.
Based then on the core belief of resurrection and Paul being a devout follower of the TORAH He obviously was telling people that death is like sleep unconsiousness one minute and the next thing he will see is G-d's face and no consiousness of the passage of time. Consider, if you will, how quickly the nightly hours pass when you are sleeping and wake in the morning....

Re: the thief on the cross, it is a well documented fact that the thief did not die that day but had his legs broken so as not to desecrate the Sabbath... The soldiers were surprised that Jesus died so quickly. Jesus himself said to Mary two days later " do not touch me as I have not yet ascended to my Father.`
Why is it a problem for the (I mean Phariasees, as the Saddaccees did not believe in resurrection at all) translation" I say unto you today, Thou shalt be with me in paradise. This reconciles with the view of the Jews (death and later reward) the prophets looking toward future reward, and today when we use the phrase passed on we really mean dead.
People cannot discuss the new testament without reconciling it with the old. Jesus himself quoted it because the new hadn't been written yet. It is like watching the last part of a movie without seeing the first...causes a lot of speculation but no real truth because they are assuming .... We will not know the true story unless we rent the movie and watch it. then we will be able to give a valid opinion.
Thanks to charisenexcelcis for your council and studying with me :)

Nov 12, 2009
By the way in the old testament the bible talks specifically of people who went to heaven,namely Enoch and Elijah and since this was documented it must have been an oddity, and then those who died not seeing the promised fulfilled is talked about in the new testament and how they lived by faith anticipating a future reward. Could these be some of the people that rose at the time Jesus was resurected? just a thought. It would seem appropriate that the people who attended ...jesus in the garden were Moses and Elijah...the ones mentioned in the old testament as going to heaven.
May G-d bless you and you and your families.

B

Broern

Man is a spirit, soul, and body. When a man die, the spirit return to God and the body return to earth. the soul will either go to hell or to heaven depending on what he did while living. What is written in the New Testament will prevail over the Old Testament.

K

karuna

And what about all the old testament people that died before Jesus came to fulfill his mission...did they go to heaven or hell ( if it is a physical place such as the grave) and if Jesus had failed his mission, G-d just kicks them out?
It's my understanding that 1 Peter 3:18-20 addresses the most commonly held belief on this topic:

For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.
Even those who disobeyed long ago were given a chance at the gospel. In the meantime, it is thought that the dead were temporarily judged according to their works; those who had been faithful found themselves in Paradise or Abraham's bosom (Luke 16:22-23), which was pleasant, but not heaven as we understand it.

G

GraceBeUntoYou

In a recent post on the similar subject, I posted:

Two things just can not escape my mind when thinking about this, especially what Christ told the criminal on the cross:

1.) Luke 23:39-43 (NASB), "One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, 'Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!' But the other answered, and rebuking him said, 'Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.' And he was saying, 'Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!' And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

2.) Hebrews 9:27 (NASB), "And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes
judgment,"

As for ghosts, and hauntings, the world is truly a spiritual battlefield. Demons are indeed real.