What in the world...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MissCris

Whenever I hear/read a discussion about Bible verses, it's almost inevitable that one or more of the people involved will resort to this argument:

"That doesn't apply to us" or "That's out-dated".

My question is...

If something from the Bible doesn't apply to us, what DOES?

If something from the Bible is out-dated, what ISN'T?

I'm almost entirely new to actually reading the Bible- while having been raised to believe in Christ, I've never bothered to read His words to us- and it seems like the deeper I go, the more things I find that people disagree with and claim aren't meant for TODAY'S Christians...

And that makes precious little sense to me.

Who is it that is deciding that the Bible, particularly the New Testament, isn't intended for modern-day believers?

How can it be possible to believe in and follow only bits and pieces of God's Word?

Is the Bible written in such a way as to mean something different to each reader?

Why is it made out to be a bad thing when somebody takes God's Word precisely as it is written?

Or are the answers to these questions glaringly obvious and I'm just missing the point entirely?

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
What about all those old jewish laws??

D

Deadflesh

Whenever I hear/read a discussion about Bible verses, it's almost inevitable that one or more of the people involved will resort to this argument:

My question is...

I'm almost entirely new to actually reading the Bible- while having been raised to believe in Christ, I've never bothered to read His words to us- and it seems like the deeper I go, the more things I find that people disagree with and claim aren't meant for TODAY'S Christians...

Who is it that is deciding that the Bible, particularly the New Testament, isn't intended for modern-day believers?

How can it be possible to believe in and follow only bits and pieces of God's Word?

Is the Bible written in such a way as to mean something different to each reader?

Why is it made out to be a bad thing when somebody takes God's Word precisely as it is written?

Or are the answers to these questions glaringly obvious and I'm just missing the point entirely?

:) as you read let JESUS, the HOLY SPIRIT be your teacher anythig you don't understand ASK GOD to show you, and give you understanding. God said a few times DO NOT FOLLOW MAN. Follow JESUS. YES sometiems we can be taught by the Jesus IN the man, but thats why its SO crucial to TRULY get to KNOW JESUS in prayer, seeking HIM. Asking for HIS mind. Eternal life is knowing Jesus. Then HE will alwo YOU to know the Truth of the scriptures.

MY point to saying all that is, there are 35,000 different denominations in the world. they all have pretty much the same bible, yet no one agrees. its becasue they are NOT getting wisdom and knowledge from the HEAD(Jesus, we are his BODY), but from other men, and then they

"...measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are without understanding." 2 Corinthians 10:12

Let ALL understanding, and wisdom and aproval of what is right come from the LORD. HE WILL make sure you know truth if you WANT truth and don't get side tract by a Human.

make sense as to why people dissagree?

There are some that say JESUS words arent really for us to follwo, WE follow Paul Others say We dont NEED paul, we Follwo the ten commandments, others say we read adn then liveo ur own lives and we pick and choose what we follow from the bible.

JESUS said If you love ME you obey ME. So SEEK to know HIM and then you WILL follow him and obey him. obeying him will be proof you know him. and HE will teach you the bible the way HE intended it to be understood. Many say Certain things ARE for today, when they are not, Otherssay different thigns ARE NOT for today when they absolutely are. it ALL matters waht JESUS speaks to YOUR heart and mind. it all matters what YOU learn, in humility truly seeking JESUS to teach you.

We are CHRISTS diciples, we Follow JESUS. We NEED to understadn the WHOLE council of GOD, but ONLY the Holy spirit can Truly teach you waht that is. ASK GOD. and dont follow a teaching of MEN. Jesus speaks out of some men, but MOST men do not speak the thigns of GOD but the thigns of opinion. adn then Men messure what they know by wht a man they agree with knows. and how that man lives. and then they remain in certain levels of spiritual darkness, instead of walking nin CHRISTS light.

Make sense? I hope so. I cant get long winded, im sorry.

So what your seeing is a HUGE problem, and it stems from NOT putting KNOWING JESUS first. Stay humble, stay always repenting, and seekign to KNOW HIM, and HE wil lteach you...before you know it, HE will teach others THROUGH you.

Hope that all made sence. Jesus bless you :)

cronjecj

Banned [Reason: ongoing "extreme error/heresy" Den
Sep 25, 2011
A

AnandaHya

I have found Ms. Cris that often at different points in my life I will read the same verses and different words will have more meaning then others. that life and the Holy Spirit teaches us the truth behind each and every word. Personally I think we can learn from all the words in the Bible and God reveals the meaning and the purpose to it all.

However the Bible is not open to PRIVATE interpretation but speaks of spiritual matters and is revealed by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 1:19-21
New King James Version (NKJV)
19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed,[a] which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God[c] spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

if you feel like you lack wisdom, pray and God will pour forth His wisdom from above abundantly.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

C

CanadaNZ

10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All Scripture
is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

ALL SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD and is PROFITABLE

The reason people try to convince you that things don't apply to us is because we live in a "Me First" instant gratification society. So many people who claim to be christian are trying to find a way to lean over the fence just enough to keep them safe from hell, when really they on still on the fence and thus are of satan.

‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot,[g] I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

Don't be LUKEWARM, be Zealous and Repent. Repent does not mean to just as for forgiveness, it also means to charge, to turn from our ways and live by God's ways. Jesus said, "37 Jesus said to him, "‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.' " He tells us if we follow these two commandments its covers the Law and the Prophets, which means that the old laws fall into one of these categories, loving God or loving you neighbour. Love both with the same love that God has (and know that you will have to work your entire life striving to reach that level) and you will be following God's ways as He requires of us.

cronjecj

Banned [Reason: ongoing "extreme error/heresy" Den
Sep 25, 2011

My question is...

I think you started this thread because people disagree on the woman teaching church issue, well as you know the Word of God is God breathed.

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking,
correcting and training in righteousness.

So the thing is there will always be some that will say things like oh that doesn't apply in today's society because things are different now. Well its a lie.

Everything that come's out of the mouth of God is yesterday, today and forever.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

and we all know by now that Christ is the living Word of God.

John 1:1-3
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Hope this helps Missy.

B

BananaPie

Hello, MissCris, you are not missing the point entirely. Actually, you come across quite sane to me. When you get to be my age, those folks may agree that we've pretty much have heard it all by now.

As a treat to you, consider that:
a) the world has already hated the Lord first. If those folks wouldn't come against the Lord and us, how exactly do we practice forgiveness?

b) the world has been confussed, is confussed and likely to remain confussed in their own lascivious derailment by definition. If those folks are pittyful, when do we wholeheartly pray for them to come undone from their imprisonment, to come to the knowledge and light of the Lord Jesus?

c) if the Lord Jesus died, shed His blood, and arose from the grave "for whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life," then how do we practice patience towards them? After all the same blood that makes us clean can make any sinner clean, including the confussed ones. :)

d) the weirder the world gets, the better confirmation the saints have that the Lord is much sooner to return as HE PROMISED HE WOULD!! ...and what a day of rejoicing that will be! Like sweet. :)

J

jimmydiggs

MissCriss,

These are some things that you might want to learn about.

Covenent Theology
Dispensational Theology
New Covenent Theology

They are theological attempts to answer your question at a biblical level. I personally lean toward "New Covenent Theology".

M

MissCris

I think you started this thread because people disagree on the woman teaching church issue, well as you know the Word of God is God breathed.
That's partly why, yes. That thread and people's responses and opinions got me to wondering, obviously.

And then it got me to feeling a little confused, which ultimately led to about a zillion questions- only a few of which I was able to formulate into words that made any sense.

Anyway, so far you have all posted very helpful, reassuring answers, and I appreciate it more than I can say. Thank you so much :)

B

BananaPie

...However the Bible is not open to PRIVATE interpretation but speaks of spiritual matters and is revealed by the Holy Spirit.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
Good Lord! I just love it!