What is faith?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I would like a definition in common every day language please.
In the Hebrew language, when it was written in pictograms, the picture of faith was of a arm hammering a nail in a wall. Faith is a complete dependence on the Lord as a nail depends on the wall to support it.

E

eternally-gratefull

Faith is a gift from God to those who are baptized in the name of the Father, and in the name of Jesus Christ, and in the name of the Holy Spirit. You are baptized in the name of the Father when He chooses you to receive His grace. You are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ when you put your trust in His death for the forgiveness of sins. And you get baptized in the name of the Holy Spirit of God when the Holy Spirit enters your body and you are born again with a new heart filled with love for God and man. The Holy Spirit seals us as the elect of God, makes us part of Jesus' body , we become One with the Father and Son, opens our eyes to understanding scripture, and strengthens and guides our lives to do the Father's will. Faith is not just a mental thing. It is also an experience that can be felt through introspection of the mind and heart. You will notice the change in you and this change will confirm and strengthen your faith that all of this is real. I suggest praying to God thanking Him for His blessings and for help in strengthening your faith and in doing His will.
This sounds like faith in baptism not God. Just saying

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
In the Hebrew language, when it was written in pictograms, the picture of faith was of a arm hammering a nail in a wall. Faith is a complete dependence on the Lord as a nail depends on the wall to support it.
Hello Blik, Biblical Hebrew is alphabetical, just like English is. When was the Hebrew language written down with pictograms instead of letters :unsure: Also, do you have any examples of these Hebrew "pictograms" so that I/we can see what they look like?

~Deut

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I see faith as a form of stoicism: to be unaffected by bad times, to hold that all is going according to God's plan, to hold that all is good even when times are painful and uncertain, to be spiritually tough/resistant to dread, worry, and woe. Job was faithful.
Job was faithful yet he succumbed to a certain amount of woe, he at one time wished he was never born.
David certainly succumbed to a certain amount of woe, yet was also faithful.

Jan 14, 2021
Job was faithful yet he succumbed to a certain amount of woe, he at one time wished he was never born.
David certainly succumbed to a certain amount of woe, yet was also faithful.
I see this as a measure of faith, or a limitation of faith as part of the human condition. Neither Job nor David had endless faith, but a faithful person has high toughness and tolerance to negative feelings such as doubt, woe, etc. If faith is not about mental alignment, what is the best way to describe it?

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I see this as a measure of faith, or a limitation of faith as part of the human condition. Neither Job nor David had endless faith, but a faithful person has high toughness and tolerance to negative feelings such as doubt, woe, etc. If faith is not about mental alignment, what is the best way to describe it?
Yep and I think it's important we recognise those limitations lest we have unrealistic expectations on people and ourselves.