What is the biggest age gap you would consider when dating someone?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Belka

Aug 24, 2017
As Dharius Daniels put it, if they're good for my soul and necessary for my assignment, then that's what matters. Ideally I wouldn't want them to be much older or much younger but I know the Lord doesn't always work in "reasonable" ways (look at Derek Prince with his first wife Lydia -- she was about 20 years older than him or so).

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
As Dharius Daniels put it, if they're good for my soul and necessary for my assignment, then that's what matters. Ideally I wouldn't want them to be much older or much younger but I know the Lord doesn't always work in "reasonable" ways (look at Derek Prince with his first wife Lydia -- she was about 20 years older than him or so).
Derek’s relationships are definitely interesting. I usually regret knowing this when I tell the Lord someone is not an option and my mind recalls his experience. :LOL:

I did encounter someone younger than my norm. He sought my input on how to find a woman with a disposition like the one I described. By the time we finished talking we realized we were speaking the person who possessed the things we sought. It was trippy!

We had so much in common. He was immensely supportive and a lot like me. But he wanted a stay-at-home wife whose primary focus was the home and his welfare. While he said he’d accept my purpose (he knew my calling and what it entailed), I sensed his tolerance would change. My suspicion was confirmed in a dream a close friend shared. My attire was different and the aimlessness was the message. Pursuing the connection would get me off-track.

But it taught me the value of having a cheerleader and that’s a quality I look for in my prospects since that time. I don’t think God twists our arms. He presents possibilities and it’s up to us to choose. :)

Belka

Aug 24, 2017
@Princesse

Derek’s relationships are definitely interesting. I usually regret knowing this when I tell the Lord someone is not an option and my mind recalls his experience.
Haha, I know, right? It's like that saying, "Never say never". :D
The Lord sure has a sense of humor sometimes.

That's a really cool experience you had, but also a little sad to me (although of course, there will be someone else on your way that'll fit you even better). I just find that it's pretty difficult to come across someone that one really connects with. So having to let go of such connections / prospects / relationships can be tricky.

But I am glad that you got the answer you needed and made the right decision for you. Bravo!
You are certainly an amazing and very intelligent woman of God and not just anyone will do. But with the right person, you'll be a "power couple", that's for sure. I'm sure the Lord has great things in store for you on that front. Although I know that you also have great things going on in other areas of your life. Keep it up! : )

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
@Princesse

Haha, I know, right? It's like that saying, "Never say never". :D
The Lord sure has a sense of humor sometimes.

That's a really cool experience you had, but also a little sad to me (although of course, there will be someone else on your way that'll fit you even better). I just find that it's pretty difficult to come across someone that one really connects with. So having to let go of such connections / prospects / relationships can be tricky.

But I am glad that you got the answer you needed and made the right decision for you. Bravo!
You are certainly an amazing and very intelligent woman of God and not just anyone will do. But with the right person, you'll be a "power couple", that's for sure. I'm sure the Lord has great things in store for you on that front. Although I know that you also have great things going on in other areas of your life. Keep it up! : )
I think He brought the word through my friend for that reason. We fit well and he said the same. He wasn’t opposed to a power couple dynamic. But I knew his heart underneath. He’s a provider and laid everything out. While it can be difficult to relinquish promising partners—and I don’t think it should be done haphazardly—it’s equally important to honor our commitments. :)

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
The biggest age difference that has mattered was spiritual maturity. If someone is a brand new Christian you can't expect the same approach to partnership that you get with someone who has had years to grow in the faith. As far as my personal experience goes, that is the sort of age gap that shows the widest divide.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I'm "cautiously" open to whatever the Lord has in this area.

Ideally around my own age. It'd be strange at first for someone to be older than me (as with taller) but if it's the Lord...I'm confident I'll get over it "mostly" ;)

It would probably take adjustment in my own self, as with many things. Suppose she snores? I imagine there will be many a superficial quirk that is part of the package. Fortunately, I see such things as challenges to submit my own flesh so that's something to both dread and look forward to as a further opportunity for growth.