What is the difference between natural sugar & refined sugar?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mr_bus

What is the difference between natural sugar & refined sugar, or doesnt matter.

I saw a program on TV last night that says “sugar is the new fat” saying some years ago everyone took a hatred against fat, now we have “low fat” alternatives, (of course the body needs fat every day but not a overdose) it went on to say even now with low fat meal available, the nation is still getting fatter. Then it says all food have sugar in it, it is all to do with taking out expensive goodies, and replacing it with cheap sugar, so the food manufacturers can make a better profit. Then it said now much sugar was in fruit drink. (I notice some fruit drink say “there is no additives added into the drink”)

Some years ago the night before I had to start a fasting before a blood test the next morning, a hour or so before starting the fast, I made a meal out of fruit, needless to say the blood test showed up a lot more sugar was in my blood test results. The doctor said “Your blood test is all right, but you need to cut back on cakes and other sugary food.”
I thought interesting! How he never said “You need to cut back on eating fruit before a blood test” which by the way I have never repeated again before a blood test, in fact now I do not eat as much fruit as I normally do a day or so before a blood test is done.

Feb 7, 2015
My doctor (who is a nutrition nut) puts it this way, "Sugar is sugar. Try to reduce all of it in your diet."
His thing is not that you'll get fat, but that sugar very seriously impairs the operation of your immune system, and overloads of the stuff can actually shut down the immune system for as much as three or four days from something like one banana split.

A

AboundingGrace

My doctor (who is a nutrition nut) puts it this way, "Sugar is sugar. Try to reduce all of it in your diet."
His thing is not that you'll get fat, but that sugar very seriously impairs the operation of your immune system, and overloads of the stuff can actually shut down the immune system for as much as three or four days from something like one banana split.
I guess that means don't ever split a banana with anybody. :p

Feb 7, 2015
I guess that means don't ever split a banana with anybody. :p
Right. As long as you eat the whole banana yourself, you are fine. (Kinda like the way some of us interpret many Scriptures.)

M

Mr_bus

By the way, since the thread has lost its focus, how about this.

I have never had sugar in my tea, I found the taste of tea alright when I was a young lad, however the taste of coffee was a bit bitter, it was suggested when I was at the young age to start drinking tea & coffee to put a spoonful of sugar in with the coffee, then another spoon, it still did not taste all that good, it turned into a sort of bitter-sweet taste. So I went for another spoon the third spoon, and was quickly told No! As the years went on, whenever I visited my grandmother other visiting relatives kept telling me my teeth would drop out. So I tried something I dont think many other people have ever tried, I cut back my sugar for the coffee almost quarter a spoon each week so after about two months I got away without having load my coffee with sugar. At the start of the week the coffee might seem a bit bitter but as the week went on your taste bugs get used of it, until the start of the next week. From then on for most of my life I absolutely hate! sugar in coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2015
I, long ago, got used to not using sugar in my coffee, nor in my cereal. However, oatmeal does require a spoon and a half in my "double-serving" bowl. (That would be 3/4 of a spoon in a regular serving.)

O

oldthennew

it is sometimes hard to believe that people don't read and comprehend about
real food and in-hanced food,
meaning 'real food and un-real food', please, if you love yourself, do the math.....

NO white REFINED, = everything beneficial taken OUT, and only what tastes good to YOU left....

please, try and Love yourselves, and FEED yourselves with something that will give you LIFE
and GOOD Health.....

Jun 23, 2015
A piece of fruit is natural. A soda pop is not.

If you make choices according to this simple analogy you will have a healthy body:

If it doesnt come from the ground or a tree or if it doesnt moo,cluck,gobble, or swim you cant have it MOST of the time!

So,when you go shopping for groceries remember this and it will keep you out of most of the lanes. The outside aisles should suffice 9/10 of the time.:)

M

Mr_bus

Now part of the reason why I ask What is the difference between natural sugar & refined sugar

Some years ago I was working just near a fruit shop and each morning I would go in and buy about $10 to $15 worth of different fruit, and eat most of it for morning, lunch & afternoon tea (and not eat anything else) , after a few months I went to my doctor (GP) who took my blood pressure, as he normally did, then he quickly got out his stethoscope and listened to my heart, then he said "You have the lowest blood pressure for your age group.

Now if someone tells me by eating equivalent fibre, vitamins and refined sugar that fruit gives, this will lower your blood pressure. I would reply saying "pull my other leg it is made of rubber"

W

wwjd_kilden

As said, sugar is sugar. All sugar breaks down to the same stuff in your body anyway.
If you replace the refined sugar with equal amounts of raw sugar, the damage to your body is the same.
It's better to cut back on sugar (said the addict).

The reason why the sugar in fruit is "better" for you isn't the sugar, but the fact that you get stuff you do need along with it.

M

Mr_bus

OK to put another way, brown sugar is better than white sugar, brown flour is better than white flour, brown rice is better than white rice. just to mention three.

The trouble is today too much food comes in plastic and it is making the world go strange. and people eat recycled cardboard with their pizza.

Feb 7, 2015
OK to put another way, brown sugar is better than white sugar, brown flour is better than white flour, brown rice is better than white rice. just to mention three.

The trouble is today too much food comes in plastic and it is making the world go strange. and people eat recycled cardboard with their pizza.
I just found out recently that, these days, almost all "brown" sugar is regular white, refined sugar that has been colored.

W

wwjd_kilden

Brown sugar is NOT better than white sugar
it is still sugar
it's still carbohydrates
only difference whatsoever has to be to the environment as it requires less processing
it does the same thing once eaten though

O

oldthennew

it's really a matter of how we much we value what our Heavenly Father has gifted us with...

the world has done its job, and put so many 'longed-for-stuff' in our eyes and hearts,
that we just don't seem to care much anymore, what will help us to be well and happy....

may our Father forgive us for .......on His most Holy and gracious gifts.....

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
As said, sugar is sugar. All sugar breaks down to the same stuff in your body anyway.
If you replace the refined sugar with equal amounts of raw sugar, the damage to your body is the same.
It's better to cut back on sugar (said the addict).

The reason why the sugar in fruit is "better" for you isn't the sugar, but the fact that you get stuff you do need along with it.
Sugar in fruit enters the body slower because of the fiber in the fruit, so the sugar spike isn't as sudden or radical.

W

wwjd_kilden

We Asked: Joy Dubost, R.D., is a nutritionist, food scientist and a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

The Answer: Whether it's in a piece of fruit, your soda or a pastry, sugar is made up of the same two components: fructose and glucose. The molecular structure and composition of sugar molecules is the same no matter where they come from.

The ratios of fructose and glucose are pretty much the same in both fruit and table sugar. Most fruits are 40 to 55 percent fructose (there's some variation: 65 percent in apples and pears; 20 percent in cranberries), and table sugar (aka sucrose) is 50/50. Neither type of sugar is better or worse for you, but your body processes them differently. Fructose breaks down in your liver and doesn’t provoke an insulin response. Glucose starts to break down in the stomach and requires the release of insulin into the bloodstream to be metabolized completely