What is the Gift of the 'Word of Knowledge' in Scripture?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I fully understand why you are unclear about my comment, and scriptural references.

To my understand, by the revelation of the Holy Spirit, the gift of knowledge is given to only a "remnant" of God's born again children, and with all due respect, does not fit your interpretation of it, but is a gift of the righteousness of God (Rom 10:3) revealing what his Son actually accomplished on the cross, for those that his Father gave him in putting their sins as far away from then as the east is from the west, and securing them an inheritance of heaven. (John 6:39).
So you think I don't understand what you are saying because I am not part of the remnant? I've got a better explanation. Your post doesn't make sense because you are misunderstanding or misinterpreting the verse I quoted. In I Corinthians 12, Paul tells his readers 'ye are the body of Christ and members in particular.'

And again, the passage I quoted:

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

So one believer gets the gift of the word of knowledge, and another does not. Does it make sense to say that some members of the body of Christ get the gift of the word of knowledge, and they are the true 'remnant', the genuine Christians, but the members of the body of Christ who operating in gifts like prophecy or healing do not have the genuine knowledge of God?

That would be a terrible misinterpretation of the passage. This thread is about the spiritual gift mentioned in I Corinthians, not the knowledge of God that all believers receive who are born of the Spirit.

presidente

May 29, 2013
It's an easy trick. I don't know how he did it but this has been a staple of fakes since the get-go.
And any post you post where you share any personal information or testimonies could all be lies as far as we care concerned. Someone could also treat you with the same type of suspicion.

On one thread, you seem open to spiritual gifts, but on this one, you seem to jump to the same conclusion as atheists when you tell them testimonies like this. I suppose someone could fake a word of knowledge. I saw the video clip of a radio signal playing a woman's voice summarizing prayer cards while Poppoff repeated back the information also.

But I have also been in numerous situations where something like that could not have been the case. I went to a meeting where a guest speaker prophesied and shared words of knowledge for hours, in detail. A coworker went to church there, and when he prophesied or had one person pray about their future work on a cruise ship, she whispered, "He is going to work on a cruise ship this summer."--- and there were numerous examples of it. But my parents were there, and I know no one there knew that my dad worked in construction or his specific field or that my parents were looking for land to build a house, and when he got to them, he mentioned those and numerous other details. I saw ten or twelve hours, maybe more, of this stuff over a few meetings with this particular minister. I've seen a lot of other words of knowledge over the years also.

There is also my own personal experience, too. I was at a conference where preachers and 'marketplace ministry' type people gave presentations about ministry outreaches. I got to talking to a brother from China. He was probably in his 40's. He said he had an investment go really well, and he was retired. I didn't like to hear that at his age... retired.... it sounded kind of idle. But I asked him... are you sure you don't have any work you are doing? He said no he was retired. I said what about something in northern China.

He got really excited when I said that. He said I was like an angel of God. How could I know? He had an investment in an online business to help farmers get their crops to market in northern China. I just had this impression, or something, which I think may fit in the 'word of knowledge' category. I'm not sure about it, because I didn't know that much about it. Just northern China, some kind of work he was doing. And it was a small detail. It's funny how people react-- like Jesus telling a woman she had five husbands and the one she now has is not her husband, and she perceives He's a prophet, and shortly thereafter is telling about him in the city.

Or when Jesus said to Nathanael that before Philip called him, He saw him under the fit tree, and Nathanael says 'You are the Son of God. You are the king of Israel.'

If you were there, would you say Jesus had spies in the city telling Him about the woman's five husbands and her boyfriend, or that he had Andrew or Peter telling spying on Nathanael, seeing Him under a fit tree?

I went through a time when I prayed with people a lot... 'ministry time' they called it at the home group/church plant I was going to. After a while, I started praying for people about things I couldn't know naturally about. One young man said to me, "How did you know I was adopted." It happened a lot for a while, then started happening outside of prayer a few times. My supervisor at work was talking about some guy. I said, "Does he have green eyes?" She was surprised. He did. I don't know if I 'knew' that or not, or if it was more of an impression. I'm not sure what the purpose of that one was.

I prayed for a man once who I'd met once or twice at church as I was moved to pray, and I started praying that the Lord would replace his car. He went to ask his wife if she'd told my wife about his car. This was a church retreat, and I'd just shown up a few minutes earlier late for the retreat and hadn't spoken much with my wife anyway, but they were getting to know each other. No, she had not. The wheel in their car was making a loud high pitched noise, and he wanted to replace it. He said when he prayed silently about his ministry in America, I started praying about that out loud. When he started praying about his ministry in India, I prayed about that out loud.

I didn't have any spies in his head or anywhere else.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
So you think I don't understand what you are saying because I am not part of the remnant? I've got a better explanation. Your post doesn't make sense because you are misunderstanding or misinterpreting the verse I quoted. In I Corinthians 12, Paul tells his readers 'ye are the body of Christ and members in particular.'

And again, the passage I quoted:

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

So one believer gets the gift of the word of knowledge, and another does not. Does it make sense to say that some members of the body of Christ get the gift of the word of knowledge, and they are the true 'remnant', the genuine Christians, but the members of the body of Christ who operating in gifts like prophecy or healing do not have the genuine knowledge of God?

That would be a terrible misinterpretation of the passage. This thread is about the spiritual gift mentioned in I Corinthians, not the knowledge of God that all believers receive who are born of the Spirit.
I understand your concern with my reply to your post, and yes, those that Christ died for are all of the body of Christ, and members in particular.

Verse 14 - For the body is not one member, but many.

There are different gifts within the body, and I am understanding differently on "the word of knowledge"than you are.

My interpretation of the word of knowledge, in harmony with other scriptures, means that they have the knowledge of the righteousness of God in what his Son actually accomplished by his death on the cross. and are commanded by God to teach this to the lost sheep of the household of Israel (Jacob).

By the wording of verse 7. it implies that some have the gift of the word of knowledge, and some have the gift of wisdom, but they do not both have the gift of knowledge, and also the gift of wisdom. These are different individuel gifts.

Jesus instructed the apostles to go and preach to the lost sheep of the household of Israel (Matt 10:5-6). God changed Jacob's name to be no more called Jacob, but to be called Israel. (Gen 31:28) Jacob is representative of God's elect (Rom 9:11)

The lost sheep are those of God's elect who are going about trying to earn their eternal inheritance by their good works (Rom 10:3)

Those who have the word of knowledge, are referenced in other scriptures as the remnant of (Jacob/Israel). (Isa 10:20, Zep 3:13)

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
As a clinical counselor in a secular setting I prayed for all my patients. I was given many words of knowledge for the people I helped. So many I lost count. I always gave credit to the Lord when people asked: most of them asked. I believe God was showing them that He knew them intimately and that their lives were not hidden from Him. They would then know that the way forward for them was also known by God and not up to chance.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I understand your concern with my reply to your post, and yes, those that Christ died for are all of the body of Christ, and members in particular.

Verse 14 - For the body is not one member, but many.

There are different gifts within the body, and I am understanding differently on "the word of knowledge"than you are.

My interpretation of the word of knowledge, in harmony with other scriptures, means that they have the knowledge of the righteousness of God in what his Son actually accomplished by his death on the cross. and are commanded by God to teach this to the lost sheep of the household of Israel (Jacob).

By the wording of verse 7. it implies that some have the gift of the word of knowledge, and some have the gift of wisdom, but they do not both have the gift of knowledge, and also the gift of wisdom. These are different individuel gifts.

Jesus instructed the apostles to go and preach to the lost sheep of the household of Israel (Matt 10:5-6). God changed Jacob's name to be no more called Jacob, but to be called Israel. (Gen 31:28) Jacob is representative of God's elect (Rom 9:11)

The lost sheep are those of God's elect who are going about trying to earn their eternal inheritance by their good works (Rom 10:3)

Those who have the word of knowledge, are referenced in other scriptures as the remnant of (Jacob/Israel). (Isa 10:20, Zep 3:13)
Can you show us some scripture that says that those who have the gift of the word of wisdom are not part of the remnant?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
31 Then the Lord said to Moses, 2 “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 3 and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— 4 to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, 5 to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. 6 Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you: 7 the tent of meeting, the ark of the covenant law with the atonement cover on it, and all the other furnishings of the tent— 8 the table and its articles, the pure gold lampstand and all its accessories, the altar of incense, 9 the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, the basin with its stand— 10 and also the woven garments, both the sacred garments for Aaron the priest and the garments for his sons when they serve as priests, 11 and the anointing oil and fragrant incense for the Holy Place. They are to make them just as I commanded you.”

jb

Feb 27, 2010
THE GIFT OF A WORD OF WISDOM. "Logos sophias"

A word of wisdom is a fragment of God's wisdom imparted to us; it is a supernatural revelation of the will and purposes of God. This is the first gift mentioned in the list in 1Cor 12v8-10, and it is the most important, because out of the knowledge of the will and purposes of God flows the manifestation of the other gifts. Following God's directive wisdom is the source of real spiritual power. Failure to obey God's words of wisdom has always ended in disaster; obedience has always resulted in blessing and victory. 2Chron 36v15-21, Luke 19v41-44, 2Chron 20v20.

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
A word of knowledge is when you know something that you could not know by any other means; for some reason God tells you.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Can you show us some scripture that says that those who have the gift of the word of wisdom are not part of the remnant?

Romans 10:1-3 - Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel/Jacob=spiritual Israel, (Rom 9:11), is that they might be saved=delivered here in time, For I bear them record that they have a "zeal of God" (born again with the different gifts), but not according to KNOWLEDGE, for they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and are going about to establish their own righteousness, having not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
31 Then the Lord said to Moses, 2 “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 3 and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— 4 to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, 5 to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. 6 Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you: 7 the tent of meeting, the ark of the covenant law with the atonement cover on it, and all the other furnishings of the tent— 8 the table and its articles, the pure gold lampstand and all its accessories, the altar of incense, 9 the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, the basin with its stand— 10 and also the woven garments, both the sacred garments for Aaron the priest and the garments for his sons when they serve as priests, 11 and the anointing oil and fragrant incense for the Holy Place. They are to make them just as I commanded you.”

God has given Bezalel wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge of the trades that he lists below, not the knowledge of God's righteousness.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Romans 10:1-3 - Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel/Jacob=spiritual Israel, (Rom 9:11), is that they might be saved=delivered here in time, For I bear them record that they have a "zeal of God" (born again with the different gifts), but not according to KNOWLEDGE, for they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and are going about to establish their own righteousness, having not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God
I Corinthians 12 is written to members of the body of Christ.

You can read what Paul writes about the remnant in Romans 11. Many Israelites had rejected God, but there is a remnant of believers. He doesn't say some Christians have the gift of the word of knowledge, and that some don't and that these are not part of the remnant. Do you really believe that? That doesn't make sense.

Just because the word 'knowledge' is used in Romans 10 and I Corinthians 12, doesn't mean that 'the word of knowledge' is what Paul is talking about in Romans 10.

I Corinthians 1:5 says,

That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

But in chapter 12, one person receives the gift of the word of knowledge, and another receives another gift.