what is the greatest sin of all?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 10, 2012
We should all know that the greatest commandment is to love God with your entire heart, mind, strength and soul...what is the greatest sin of all?

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012
No greatest sin. All sin separates man from God. All sin makes man miss the mark. Yes, the consequences of different sins to the sinner may be different, but consequences to our relationship with God is the same.

F

flight316

To blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Sep 10, 2012
so true both of you..unrepented sin will lead to eternal separation from God so what does it mean to repent and what does it mean to blaspheme the Holy Spirit?

F

ForeverHis42

I agree with onlinebuddy. we're still missing the mark when we sin. but if I had to choose one sin in particular, I would say taking anothers life. their life had a purpose and killing them affects anyone they know too. hmmm, blasphemy is really bad as welll... :(

Sep 10, 2012
yes God does regard taking an INNOCENT life as a very wicked sin so much so that it is deserving of the death penalty and Jesus tells us that hating your brother is the same as murdering them

F

ForeverHis42

i wonder how different it is even when there is a good reason?:confused:

N

nw2u

Blasphemy is profanity and irreverence toward the Holy Spirit and Mathew 12:31-32 says it will not be forgiven in this life or the next.

Repenting is feeling sorry for having done or not done something.

F

ForeverHis42

wow. but if you ask for forgivness you'll still get it, right? :confused:

Sep 10, 2012
there are different forms of blaspheme against the Holy spirit...as was said irreverence to God...the inappropriate use of God's name, attributing the works of satan to God, lying about God any untruth about God....these things can be indicators that someone has blasphemed the Holy Spirit in the way that it will not be forgiven...another indicator is when someone who knows the truth that Jesus is God and knows how to be truly saved but rejects salvation and refuses to repent..repent is to turn to God in love through Jesus and turn from your sins, hate your sins..if you want an example of someone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit then check out Todd Bentley

Sep 10, 2012
God has given us the precious gift of life and has made us in His image and has poured out His love on us and deserves our absolute love and worship and we fail to love Him...that is the greatest sin of all

J

JessW

No sin is greater than another sin in the eternal sense. All sin separates us from God and all sin needs to be atoned for. Also, there is no “greatest sin” in the sense of “mortal” and “venial” sins, as the Catholic Church teaches. All sins are “mortal” sins in that even one sin makes the offender worthy of spiritual death and eternal separation from God. At the same time, the Bible does state that on the day of judgment some sins will merit greater punishment than others (Matthew 11:22, 24; Luke 10:12, 14).

Jesus also referred to one sin being a greater sin (although not the “greatest”) than another in John 19:11. Speaking to Pontius Pilate, He said that the one who had handed Him over to Pilate was guilty of the “greater sin.” He meant that the guilt of the person who delivered Him to Pilate, whether Judas or Caiaphas, was greater than Pilate’s because of the deliberate and cold act of handing Jesus over after seeing the overwhelming evidence of His miracles and teaching, all pointing unmistakably to Him as the Messiah and the Son of God. That sin was greater than that of those who were ignorant of Him. This could indicate that those who have been given knowledge of Jesus as the Son of God and still reject Him would be subject to a greater punishment than those who remain ignorant of Him: "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains” (John 9:41).

These incidents, however, do not prove that one sin is the “greatest sin” of all. Proverbs 6:16-19 is a catalog of the seven sins God hates and are detestable to Him: “..haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.” But none of the seven is identified as a greater sin than any of the others and none is identified as the greatest sin.

Although the Bible doesn’t name any one sin as the greatest sin, it does refer to the unpardonable sin, which is the sin of unbelief. There is no pardon for a person who dies in unbelief. The Bible is clear that in His love for mankind, God provided the means of eternal salvation—Jesus Christ and His death on the cross—for “whoever believes in Him (John 3:16). The only condition under which forgiveness would not be granted concerns those who reject the only means of salvation. Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6), making it clear that He and He alone is the path to God and salvation. To reject the only means of salvation is unpardonable and, in that sense, is the greatest sin of all.

O

OFM

Unbelief Spiritually.....................

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012
Mark 9:42
And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck. (NIV)

Misleading someone who has come to believe in Christ or causing them to sin is a grave offense, if not the greatest sin. We must therefore be careful about what we say or teach. (In another thread, someone was advising a young boy that it was OK for him to sleep with his sister, if that made him happy and if it was God's will or something)

Sep 10, 2012
there are degrees of sin in so that there will be a greater hell for those who have great sins that they do not repent of...for example...if a child was to tell his sister it is ok to steal then that is a lesser sin than if a socalled christian minister takes money from the church and uses it soley for his personal gain so that widows and orphans are not fed...but as was said all unrepented of sin results in separation from God for all eternity...which is what hell is all about

L

laser

John 19:11
Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012
there are different forms of blaspheme against the Holy spirit...as was said irreverence to God...the inappropriate use of God's name, attributing the works of satan to God, lying about God any untruth about God....these things can be indicators that someone has blasphemed the Holy Spirit in the way that it will not be forgiven...another indicator is when someone who knows the truth that Jesus is God and knows how to be truly saved but rejects salvation and refuses to repent..repent is to turn to God in love through Jesus and turn from your sins, hate your sins..if you want an example of someone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit then check out Todd Bentley
Mark 3 (NIV)
28 I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them.
29 But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

The context here is that the Jews and the Teachers of the Law are accusing Jesus of being possessed by Beelzebub. They saw the irrefutable evidence that Jesus was from God, yet they denied this, and instead called the power of the Holy Spirit the power of Satan. They therefore attributed the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan. This is how they blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, and were not worthy of pardon. Jesus had judged them.

What about us? Can this be applied to us? I don't know. Firstly, our situation is different. We are not eyewitnesses of the Messiah in bodily form or of any of His miracles. We thrive on faith, and therefore we may (I'm not sure) be judged differently from the Pharisees. If any individual has blasphemed the Holy Spirit in his past life and surrenders to Jesus, I guess he will be pardoned. However, let us not take any chances, for we must give account for every reckless word.

Sep 10, 2012
there is much truth in what you have said but dont forget that God tells us it is appointed for humans to die once and then comes judgement..we only have one life to live and we need to live it in complete love to God through Jesus...I agree with what you have said about the Pharisees committing the unpardonable sin...we attribute the works of satan to God when we align ourselves to satan and practice his evils and call ourselves christians or good without turning to God in love through Jesus and turning from our sins