What is the meaning of Romans 6?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tara

Oct 12, 2008
????????????????????????????????????????

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
You have probably read that chapter more than once. Read it again with chapter (5) and come back to your thread and explain in your own words what you have understood those chapters to say.

The baptism into Jesus Christ and His death in relationship to sin and grace is something every believer needs to understand. There have been all kinds of problems arise from not knowing the difference between positional truth and experiencial truth. You, as a new believer, have the opportunity to understand who you are in Christ positionally, and how God works that position into your experience so that you can live in the truth that you know.

Example: You have been baptised into Jesus Christ and His death because of the cross and that is positionally true, even though it has not become your experience yet. Let's say you react to certain people when they are around you. You may have a very good reason but God wants to get rid of that reactionary spirit and give you peace instead. So God ordains certain details for your life that works death in you through the cross, to crucify you experiencially so that you don't react toward those people. This is part of the process of (Col 1:20-22). Without God working death (or the cross) into your experience, you would never be free from that reactionary spirit. God experientially crucifies that spirit and gives you the fruit of the Spirit which is peace (Gal 5:22). God uses the death that you have been baptised unto, to experiencially give you victory over those things that you know are from the old sin nature. Now Christ, as our peace, can be revealed in us, as life to others (Eph 2:14-18).

B

Baruch

????????????????????????????????????????
Think of Romans 6 as an answer to believers that may be thinking that now that they are saved, it doesn't mattter if they sin or not and so they just do whatever they want. Romans 6 starts out by saying : Wrong! ... in layman's term.

Romans 6:1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

So like we, as before when we were sinners being in bondage to sin and to death.. now, as believers, being set free from that bondage to sin and to death, shall we continue therein? He who saved us from our sins, did so in that we shall no longer live in sin and that sin shall not have dominion over our lives anymore as we shall live as His children.. as followers of Jesus Christ.

Apr 23, 2009
Basically.... Grace is not excuse for sin. If you obey sin you are a servant of sin, if you obey God then your are a servant of God. You cannot be both, you cannot serve sin and God.

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
Basically.... Grace is not excuse for sin. If you obey sin you are a servant of sin, if you obey God then your are a servant of God. You cannot be both, you cannot serve sin and God.
I have a few question for you. The most common definition for sin is 'to miss the mark'. How many times have you or I opened our mouth and said things that have 'missed the mark'? Do we consider that to be sin or what some have called, 'the sin of the tongue'? The scriptures teach in (Rom 14:23) that '...whatsoever is not of faith is sin'. It also teaches us in (James 4:17) 'Therefore to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin'. If we really meditate on these verses without condemning ourself, I believe we would realize that there is much more sin in our life then we are willing to confess. That is why we need to be built up in the grace and love of God continually. That is why the love of God covers a multitude of sin in our life (1Pt 4:18), never repeats those matters (Prov 17:9) and does not impute sin to us (Rom 4:7,8). That is why old things have passed away (that includes all sin) and all things have become new (2Cor 5:17). Think about it.

W

worldlover

i haven't been there haha

May 3, 2009
Hi Tara!

This is how I read Romans 6. Paul believes that sin does not bring God's grace. Rather, God's compassion or generosity is the foundation for the gift of grace. Grace is bestowed thru baptism and produces a true renewal. It makes the baptized person capable of responding to his/her conscience concerning matters of faith. This renewal precedes a Christian's bodily resurrection and entrance into eternal life [salvation].

vv 12-19. When the Christian is in his/her mortal life, the power of sin is never fully overcome. Personal effort under the influence of grace is required to surmont his/her weakness.

vv20-23. There are 2 ways of life, diametrically opposed, and they produce different results. False freedom from justice brings enslavement by sin and the punishment by death; freedom from sin brings sanctification [justification] and eternal life [salvation] in Christ.

Hope this helped.

Eric

Apr 23, 2009
I have a few question for you. The most common definition for sin is 'to miss the mark'. How many times have you or I opened our mouth and said things that have 'missed the mark'? Do we consider that to be sin or what some have called, 'the sin of the tongue'? The scriptures teach in (Rom 14:23) that '...whatsoever is not of faith is sin'. It also teaches us in (James 4:17) 'Therefore to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin'. If we really meditate on these verses without condemning ourself, I believe we would realize that there is much more sin in our life then we are willing to confess. That is why we need to be built up in the grace and love of God continually. That is why the love of God covers a multitude of sin in our life (1Pt 4:18), never repeats those matters (Prov 17:9) and does not impute sin to us (Rom 4:7,8). That is why old things have passed away (that includes all sin) and all things have become new (2Cor 5:17). Think about it.
I do not know where you get you definitions, but the Greek word for sin in Romans 6 is ''Hamartia'' and it means to commit an offense or to sin. If you read through Romans 6 Paul is making two main points.

#1 Grace is not an excuse to sin, if we have been reborn we should walk in newness of life.
#2 Those that yield themselves to sin are servant of sin, and those that yield themselves to God are servants of God.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with God not me. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.