What is the point ???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

IROH

I've had severe ulcerative colitis for about 12 years now and each time I get sick its harder to get healthier or go into remission. I've done the doctor route and medicines, and have now decided to go the all natural route. It's been one of the hardest times I've had out of remission this time around, with it being 42 months. I wake up feeling like a failure, as everything I work for has been stripped from me. My ambitions, dreams, future etc... I come from a Christian family, went to a Christian school, but find it hard to do devotions, read daily from scripture, and keep faith this time around. How are sick people suppose to make it in the world when healthy people struggle. What's the point when u have been sick for so long its hard to wake up in the morning? What's the point if u have no place in life - a spectator and not a player?? What's the point if trying produces the same results as not???

Feb 7, 2015
This might be interesting.

(This note on the observed effects of pain has been kindly supplied by R. Havard, M.D., from clinical experience.)

Pain is a common and definite event which can easily be recognized: but the observation of character or behavior is less easy, less complete, and less exact, especially in the transient, if intimate, relation of doctor and patient. In spite of this difficulty certain impressions gradually take form in the course of medical practice which are confirmed as experience grows. A short attack of severe physical pain is overwhelming while it lasts. The sufferer is not usually loud in his complaints. He will beg for relief but does not waste his breath on elaborating his troubles. It is unusual for him to lose self-control and to become wild and irrational. It is rare for the severest physical pain to become in this sense unbearable. When short, severe, physical pain passes it leaves no obvious alteration in behavior. Long-continued pain has more noticeable effects. It is often accepted with little or no complaint and great strength and resignation are developed. Pride is humbled or, at times, results in a determination to conceal suffering. Women with rheumatoid arthritis show a cheerfulness which is so characteristic that it can be compared to the spes phthisica of the consumptive: and is perhaps due more to a slight intoxication of the patient by the infection than to an increased strength of character. Some victims of chronic pain deteriorate. They become querulous (complaining in a petulant or whining manner) and exploit their privileged position' as invalids to practice domestic tyranny. But the wonder is that the failures are so few and the heroes so many; there is a challenge in physical pain which most can recognize and answer. On the other hand, a long illness, even without pain, exhausts the mind as well as the body. The invalid gives up the struggle and drifts helplessly and plaintively into a self-pitying despair. Even so, some, in a similar physical state, will preserve their serenity and selflessness to the end. To see it is a rare but moving experience.

Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say "My tooth is aching" than to say "My heart is broken". Yet if the cause is accepted and faced, the conflict will strengthen and purify the character and in time the pain will usually pass.

Sometimes, however, it persists and the effect is devastating; if the cause is not faced or not recognized, it produces the dreary state of the chronic neurotic. But some by heroism overcome even chronic mental pain.

They often produce brilliant work and strengthen, harden, and sharpen their characters till they become like tempered steel.

In actual insanity the picture is darker. In the whole realm of medicine there is nothing so terrible to contemplate as a man with chronic melancholia. But most of the insane are not unhappy or, indeed, conscious of their condition. In either case, if they recover, they are surprisingly little changed. Often they remember nothing of their illness.

Pain provides an opportunity for heroism; the opportunity is seized with surprising frequency.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
I had a bad case of it from my late 20'to mid thirties. They were talking about operating.
I completely changed my diet around, and in four weeks it was gone.
Have not had it since.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Hang in there. Keep praying.
I was not a Christian at the time, but I recall that feeling.
It was that experience that propelled me into Christisnity.
Something good will come of it.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
What is your first name? I will pray for you.

I

IROH

My first name is Lukas

D

Depleted

I've had severe ulcerative colitis for about 12 years now and each time I get sick its harder to get healthier or go into remission. I've done the doctor route and medicines, and have now decided to go the all natural route. It's been one of the hardest times I've had out of remission this time around, with it being 42 months. I wake up feeling like a failure, as everything I work for has been stripped from me. My ambitions, dreams, future etc... I come from a Christian family, went to a Christian school, but find it hard to do devotions, read daily from scripture, and keep faith this time around. How are sick people suppose to make it in the world when healthy people struggle. What's the point when u have been sick for so long its hard to wake up in the morning? What's the point if u have no place in life - a spectator and not a player?? What's the point if trying produces the same results as not???
God! He's the point.

I'm disabled with chronic pain. I tried everything available that didn't cost too much. (I couldn't afford massages twice a week, nor could I afford the expense of finding out if biofeedback could have worked.) I even tried eight different kinds of diet. Once I figured out nothing worked, I went back to the obvious:
Romans 8:28
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,for those who are called according to his purpose.

Figure out how to live your life with ulcerative colitis. Yes, I'm very aware that's no easy task. You've got a life though and it's point is God.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
God! He's the point.

I'm disabled with chronic pain. I tried everything available that didn't cost too much. (I couldn't afford massages twice a week, nor could I afford the expense of finding out if biofeedback could have worked.) I even tried eight different kinds of diet. Once I figured out nothing worked, I went back to the obvious:
Romans 8:28
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,for those who are called according to his purpose.

Figure out how to live your life with ulcerative colitis. Yes, I'm very aware that's no easy task. You've got a life though and it's point is God.
Lynn, of course God is everything. Before health. I am reminded of the Christian man who has no legs and arms, yet has managed to live a very productive life, and has written a book about his experiences and God's graciouness.
I don't know the particulars in Lukas situation, but there is a good chance he can go into permanent remission, if he makes the proper lifestyle changes.
I know this from personal exlerience, and also from what I have seen in probably another 15 or so people who have done the same.

I am praying for Lukas.