What makes you Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

which of these makes you a child of God?

• You realize that the secular world does not have what you need

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • You have been convicted of your sinful nature

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • You repent of your disobedience to God and completely submit your life and will to obeying Him as yo

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • You attend church and tithe 10 percent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You agree with everything thing the Bible says

• you don't want to go to Hell

• the Holy Spirit testifies in your heart that you are a child of God

• Total voters
A

AnandaHya

how do you know if you are saved are not?

May 21, 2009
We cannot look into the heart of someone to determine whether or not he is saved, but there are two things we can examine: profession and actions.
First of all, the person who would confess the basic biblical doctrines of Christianity such as the Trinity, the deity of Christ, his physical resurrection, justification by grace of faith, etc., is affirming the necessary elements that must be held by faith to be Christian. But, if someone denies that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead physically, or denies justification by grace and faith in Christ alone, and other such essential Christian doctrines and refuses to affirm biblical truth even after proper teaching, then we can safely say that such a person is not saved. Take for example what Jesus said in John 8:24, "unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins." Jesus was claiming divinity, as is later evidenced by Him using the divine name of God "I AM" in John 8:58 (see Exodus 3:14). The deity of Christ (that he is God in flesh, Col. 2:9), is a necessary doctrine in the Christian faith. So, if someone were to deny openly such an essential doctrine, we could say that the person is not saved.
Second, a person’s actions need to be examined to see if they're consistent with his profession. 1 John 2:4 says, “If you say you know him and do not keep his Commandments, the truth is not in you and you are a liar.” So, if someone professes to be a Christian and yet behaves in a manner contrary to that profession, then we would naturally doubt his salvation.
So, let's say that someone is confessing Christ as Savior, but is openly and unrepentantly involved in an adulterous relationship. Such lack of conviction of sin, and lack of struggle against it, is a strong indication that the person does not have the Spirit of God within him. It would be evidence that such a person is not saved.
Finally, we must be very careful not to be too judgmental too quickly. It is a serious thing to say that someone is or is not saved. If you are unsure about the salvation of someone, then you should pray for that person, ask God to work in a person's life, and ask the Lord to give you wisdom.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
We cannot look into the heart of someone to determine whether or not he is saved, but there are two things we can examine: profession and actions.
First of all, the person who would confess the basic biblical doctrines of Christianity such as the Trinity, the deity of Christ, his physical resurrection, justification by grace of faith, etc., is affirming the necessary elements that must be held by faith to be Christian. But, if someone denies that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead physically, or denies justification by grace and faith in Christ alone, and other such essential Christian doctrines and refuses to affirm biblical truth even after proper teaching, then we can safely say that such a person is not saved. Take for example what Jesus said in John 8:24, "unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins." Jesus was claiming divinity, as is later evidenced by Him using the divine name of God "I AM" in John 8:58 (see Exodus 3:14). The deity of Christ (that he is God in flesh, Col. 2:9), is a necessary doctrine in the Christian faith. So, if someone were to deny openly such an essential doctrine, we could say that the person is not saved.
Second, a person’s actions need to be examined to see if they're consistent with his profession. 1 John 2:4 says, “If you say you know him and do not keep his Commandments, the truth is not in you and you are a liar.” So, if someone professes to be a Christian and yet behaves in a manner contrary to that profession, then we would naturally doubt his salvation.
So, let's say that someone is confessing Christ as Savior, but is openly and unrepentantly involved in an adulterous relationship. Such lack of conviction of sin, and lack of struggle against it, is a strong indication that the person does not have the Spirit of God within him. It would be evidence that such a person is not saved.
Finally, we must be very careful not to be too judgmental too quickly. It is a serious thing to say that someone is or is not saved. If you are unsure about the salvation of someone, then you should pray for that person, ask God to work in a person's life, and ask the Lord to give you wisdom.
Linda
i don't think Matt Slick would appreciate you not CITING him as your source.
http://carm.org/questions/other-questions/how-can-i-tell-if-someone-saved-or-not

please cite your sources.

D

Deadflesh

Hi Anandahya, Im sorry but i can't pick on the poll, becasue there are more than ONE factor

You can not be a Son(CHILD) Of God unless you:

Hear What God says(John 8:47)

Are Led by the Spirit (Romans 8:14)

Have faith in Jesus(Galatians 3:26)

Blamless, innocent, With out blemmish(fault) and shine like Lights in a sinful dark world(Philippians 2:15)(this does not mean you dont stumble...please...no arguing)

*Does not Preform Sin(sinning) (1 John 3:9)(different then stumbling)

He(She) Practices Righteousness, and LOVEs his or Her Brother (1 John 3:10)

Loves(1 John 4:7 ...dont be quick to judge though...somtimes Love pulls out your hair, beats you, and screams at you Nehemiah 13:25...but check thier fruits normally...in all circumstances)

Beleives that Jesus IS THE Christ, and loves the Father and Bretheren(1 John 5:1)

Over coems the World by Faith (1 John 5:4)

Doesnt Sin(*see above) Protected by Jesus, Evil never touches them(tries to...mocks them, taunts them tempts them, sometimes tries to make there life hell...but cant touch them) (1 John 5:18) (unless of course they are living in deception or an unrepentant sin...then God will allow Evil to touch them hopefully it will just be a quick spanking adn they will repent...but it COULD go on for years...i know...i have seen it in action)

So THAT makes one a Child of GOD. But NONE of that is possible unless you Repent of your Sins and your LIFE and ask Jesus to come and save you, and become LORD of your Life. And then you Carry A TESTIMONY. With out a TESTIMONY of What Christ has cleaned you of, you have religion.

So, thats my answer. :) Jesus bless you

L

Laodicea

Romans 2:4
(4) Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

kentappel

Jun 13, 2011
I am a Christian because I trust and believe in what Jesus did 2000 years ago by dying on the cross and rising again from the dead to save me, a sinner, who can never save myself.

So it is all about what Jesus did and not about what I do lest I should boast.

May 21, 2009
Jun 24, 2010
I am a Christian because I trust and believe in what Jesus did 2000 years ago by dying on the cross and rising again from the dead to save me, a sinner, who can never save myself.

So it is all about what Jesus did and not about what I do lest I should boast.
I agree and I am one with this confession of faith.

John 20:29

kentappel

Jun 13, 2011
The problem with this poll is it is that it says nothing about Jesus' work on the cross and while yes we are to submit to Chirst as Lord, yes the Holy Spirit testifies in our hearts that we are a children of God, yes we have been convicted of our sinful nature, yes I agree with what the Bible says, and of course I don't want to go to hell but since this poll says nothing about the cross, then I can't pick any of the poll options.

I know there are two options here that I didn't even consider picking and they are, You realize that the secular world does not have what you need as that makes it all about us and not about Jesus, and attending church and tithing ten percent as that is totally about works and not grace.

A

AnandaHya

oh I see. actually the poll is set up so you can pick more then one option and I'm glad people picked on the lack of Jesus dying on the cross option. :)

Dec 19, 2009
how do you know if you are saved are not?
Salvation is a day-to-day thing, I think. When we are obedient, we are blessed. When we are not obedient, we are not blessed:

[17] "Yet your people say, `The way of the Lord is not just'; when it is their own way that is not just.
[18] When the righteous turns from his righteousness, and commits iniquity, he shall die for it.
[19] And when the wicked turns from his wickedness, and does what is lawful and right, he shall live by it.
[20] Yet you say, `The way of the Lord is not just.' O house of Israel, I will judge each of you according to his ways." Ezekiel 33:17-20 RSV

Jul 19, 2011
This poll didn't include anything about confirmation, being baptized, the sacraments or attending mass/church (without the 10 percent). You should have included the option of "other."

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I think being born again is what makes one a christian. And I think you could check off all the answers in the poll, but not just one.

May 6, 2011
This poll didn't include anything about confirmation, being baptized, the sacraments or attending mass/church (without the 10 percent). You should have included the option of "other."
Sitting in church makes you as much of a christian as sitting in a garage makes you a car. So that would be a totally pointless option. Also communion has nothing to do with salvation either, since anyone can eat bread and grape juice and to them it would mean nothing. Baptism...well to me its more of a statement of faith or profession, though i know some believe that unless youre baptized youre still screwed.

Jul 19, 2011
Sitting in church makes you as much of a christian as sitting in a garage makes you a car.
Except for you will never change into a car but you can become a Christian.

So that would be a totally pointless option.
Except for Jesus started by establishing the Church. He didn't write the Bible, that came later.

Also communion has nothing to do with salvation either, since anyone can eat bread and grape juice and to them it would mean nothing.
Then why did Jesus command it?

Baptism...well to me its more of a statement of faith or profession, though i know some believe that unless youre baptized youre still screwed.
Again, why did Jesus command it.

N

Nalu

Romans chapter 10 verses 8 through 13.

A

AnandaHya

sorry its one of my first polls I'll try to remember next time :)