What must I do to be saved

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
Hebrews 11:6, “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to Yah has to believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who earnestly seek Him.”

Hebrews 5:9, “And having been perfected, He became the Causer of everlasting salvation to all those obeying Him.”
True, but where do we get faith and obedience from and what causes us to earnestly seek Him. Everything points back at God who is the author and finisher of our faith, so that we have nothing to boast about.

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
True, but where do we get faith and obedience from and what causes us to earnestly seek Him. Everything points back at God who is the author and finisher of our faith, so that we have nothing to boast about.
Who boasted?

Yah created us, Yah guides us.

Psalm 11:4, "יהוה is in His holy temple; יהוה throne is in heaven; His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men.”

Isaiah 45:22-25, “Turn to Me and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am Mighty, and there is none else. I have sworn by Myself, a word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, so that to Me every knee shall bow, every tongue swear. One shall say, ‘Only in יהוה do I have righteousness and strength’ – he comes to Him. And all those displeased with Him shall be put to shame. In יהוה all the seed of Yisra’yl shall be declared right and glory.”

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
Who boasted?

Yah created us, Yah guides us.

Psalm 11:4, "יהוה is in His holy temple; יהוה throne is in heaven; His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men.”

Isaiah 45:22-25, “Turn to Me and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am Mighty, and there is none else. I have sworn by Myself, a word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, so that to Me every knee shall bow, every tongue swear. One shall say, ‘Only in יהוה do I have righteousness and strength’ – he comes to Him. And all those displeased with Him shall be put to shame. In יהוה all the seed of Yisra’yl shall be declared right and glory.”
I was referring those who are totally depraved and dead in their sins and trespasses, taking credit for saving themselves by choosing to believe in Jesus. All of those who have faith in their faith to save them have a reason to boast, all of us who were saved by God have nothing to boast about.

There are only two types of Christians, those who were saved by God and those who were saved by their faith in Christ. I personally don't believe that faith can save anyone. I believe that only God can save a person.

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
I was referring those who are totally depraved and dead in their sins and trespasses, taking credit for saving themselves by choosing to believe in Jesus. All of those who have faith in their faith to save them have a reason to boast, all of us who were saved by God have nothing to boast about.

There are only two types of Christians, those who were saved by God and those who were saved by their faith in Christ. I personally don't believe that faith can save anyone. I believe that only God can save a person.
I think we are in full agreement in the fact/idea that only the Most High can save.

Psalm 68:19, "Blessed be יהוה, Day by day He bears our burden, The Strength of our salvation! Selah."

Psalm 18:2, "יהוה is my rock and my stronghold and my deliverer; My Strength is my rock, I take refuge in Him; My shield and the horn of my deliverance, my high tower.”

Also when I even think about it I feel unworthy, humbled and then the desire to do what He wants me to do with all the strength He has given...

Jeremiah 17:14, “Heal me, O יהוה, so that I am healed. Save me, so that I am saved, for You are my praise.”

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
It's not that our faith "must" be accompanied by good works in order for us to become saved, but that it WILL be accompanied by good works IF we truly are saved. You put the cart before the horse and teach salvation by works.

*Man is saved through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is vindicated, substantiated, evidenced by works (James 2:14-24).

*Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works.

*It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not by the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies is never alone (solitary, unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine (James 2:14-24). *Perfect Harmony* :)
Those who disagree with this clear, concise statement in post #292 expose their heart as an unbeliever. :(

https://christianchat.com/bible-dis...-i-do-to-be-saved.177680/page-15#post-3644321

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
We are to obey the commands of Christ according to the Spirit. But many here don't obey Christ because they walk according to the flesh...and claim salvation because they think that Jesus wants to be accepted by them. Foolishness.
1 Corinthians 1:18 - For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.. 21 - For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

The devil twists everything backwards.
So do unbelievers.

Jesus DOES NOT seek our acceptance. He doed for the sins of the whole world. He is looking for disciples. It is WE who need to be accepted of Him.
John 1:12 - But as many as received Him, to them He gave power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
What must i do to be saved (delivered from my sin and its consequences) ?

If we are believers then Acts 2: 37- 39 will tell us what we must do to be saved. Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren what shall we do?" And Peter said to them, "Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and your children, and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God shall call to Himself." (Acts 2: 37- 39)
Believers are already saved and don't need to be told what they must do to be saved. In Acts 2:37, their "belief" at this point was mental assent that Jesus was the Messiah and they were guilty of crucifying Him. *That is not saving belief yet. They still lacked trust and reliance in Christ alone for salvation and that's why they still needed to repent and place their faith in Christ alone for salvation.

In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism (Acts 10:47).

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing Scripture with Scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*

If we are non-believers, then Acts 16: 30, 31 will tell us what we must do to be saved. and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved, you and your household." Acts 16: 30, 31)
*Notice that Paul said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved.." and not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and get water baptized and you shall be saved.

We are all saved through the grace of our Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are. (Acts 15: 11)
Yes, by grace through faith, not works. Acts 15:7 - And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, 9 and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
To be saved one must obey the commandments....which is to love others as yourself. This is the law and the prophets.
Romans 3:23 - All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. So now what? Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (and not through imperfect obedience to the commandments)

L

Locoponydirtman

No, there is not. Arminius' works are responses to Calvin's Institutes. You need to get yourself educated on this issue if you are really interested in discussion otherwise you are just preaching.
This isn't true. Don't think Arminius formulated his ideas as a counter to Calvin, he was teaching his brand of folly in places far away from Calvin. Even though Arminius did engage Calvin in the letter writing dispute, and Arminius did go to Geneva to confront Calvin. He burned at the stake for his efforts.

Both were critically, and disastrously wrong and both of their respective theological followers are mislead by their mess.