What Really Is PRAYER?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

Fire7

Prayer has to be the single subject that's talked about and advocated the most amongst Christian and other religious circles. But what exactly is prayer??? I know our many theories about the subject, but do we really and truly know HOW to pray to get RESULTS everytime? Andrew Womack did a radical teaching on the subject of prayer and suggested that much of the way christians have been taught to pray is wrong.

I personally feel that the greatest tragedy that could ever happen in the omniverse is wasted time. If it's just a second of wasted time, that is a tragedy. This may sound far-fetched, but I believe that if film was taken comepletely off of our eyes, to where we could really see into the spirit world at everything that's going on, we would see how valuable one second is!

Yet, it seems that so many of us pray incorrectly, because we "pray", a'wishing and a'hoping that somebody heard us? I know we say we have faith, but what happens when that faith is really put to the test. Most of us would fall apart. We have mastered the ART of prayer down to a science, but do we really have the tehnicalities (foundation) down to the tee? Honestly? Can we honestly and truthfully say that we know for sure that our prayers have been heard (and I'm not talking about wishful thinking).

I didn't grow up in the Holiness denomination, I grew up pentecostal. But I have heard many of the older croud talk about their experience in the sanctified church, where prayer was strongly enforced, along with H-ly Ghost baptism and water baptism. When you came to the altar to receive the Holy Ghost, you were told you had to wait for Him until it fell. But not a passive waiting--you had to work for it (I'm using Him and It interchangeably). The way you worked was by calling clapping your hands and calling the name "Jesus" constantly, as fast as you could until you started foaming at the mouth, while two altar workers stood on both sides of you--one telling you to "hold on!" and the other telling you to "let go!"..."Keep calling Him!" You were supposed to do this until you lost your voice and the only thing that could come out of your mouth was an unknown tongue or language.

I don't know if any of you have a book titled "Decieved: By The New Age" by Will Baron. But one of the things he pointed out was the popular method(s) of prayer that were used in many churches that people thought was of G-d but were really a sneaky satanic tool that had been used by the enemy to creep in and further his "new age" agenda. He gave his testimony, in the book, about how he received a "false Holy Spirit" at the altar of a Holiness (if I'm not mistaken on the denomination) church. He had the same experience as described above, until he receive his prayer language. Later on, after receiving the authentic HS, he claims, he realized that he had been possessed by a demonic spirit...and would have never known it, had not some of his family members been interceding for him... Even Bob Larson (the Exorcist) did a teaching on the new age and demonic spirits and said something to the effect that you can chant the name "Jesus" over and over and receive a demon.

So, I'm wondering, what does this also say about "Oh God!" prayers? I heard Perry Stone tell of one great evangelist that he knew who prayed for about 3 hours, much of his prayer consisting of "Ooooooh God", "Ooooooh God"..... and he had amazing results in his ministry. I'm wondering what he was doing was a form of chanting. The bible does say something, which Will Baron also pointed out, about not having vain repition in prayer.

E

eternally-gratefull

Prayer is nothing more than an intimate talk between one of Gods children and him.

When you talk to God you can do many things, Give thanks for what he has done for you. Ask for personal requests. Pray for others,

Prayer should be a heart to heart conversation. Not a memorized or repeated thing, You would never talk to your spouse or father that way. Why talk to God that way.

F

Fire7

Prayer is nothing more than an intimate talk between one of Gods children and him.

When you talk to God you can do many things, Give thanks for what he has done for you. Ask for personal requests. Pray for others,

Prayer should be a heart to heart conversation. Not a memorized or repeated thing, You would never talk to your spouse or father that way. Why talk to God that way.
The bible also talks about "praying amiss". You can pray for something that's not in G-d's will, and it won't be heard because it's nt in His (perfect) will for your life. Some say that you can only pray for what would bring glory to God.

E

eternally-gratefull

The bible also talks about "praying amiss". You can pray for something that's not in G-d's will, and it won't be heard because it's nt in His (perfect) will for your life. Some say that you can only pray for what would bring glory to God.
God hears all prayer, He just chooses not to answer all prayer. I can ask for a million dollars. It does not mean he will give it to me.

I also think if we are outside Gods will. God will give a closed ear to our prayers.

C

Crazy4GODword

God hears all prayer, He just chooses not to answer all prayer. I can ask for a million dollars. It does not mean he will give it to me.

I also think if we are outside Gods will. God will give a closed ear to our prayers.
well this is how i see it.....He answers all prayers but not all answer are yes.....like you were saying about the million dollars, He might say no

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Prayer is going before God in Jesus Christ Our Lord with praise and thanksgiving!
It is simply, loving God Our Father, talking to Him, resting in Him, trusting all to Him.
Hearing Him, being still and knowing that He is God!
It is everything before Him, in Him, asking, serving, recieving,praising, thanking, learning, getting to know Him.
It is being in His presance, with a humble heart, letting God Our Father bring His creation in you to fullfillment.
It is giving to Him the needs and hearts desires of oneself and all that need, with praise and thanksgiving.
It is faith, hope and love!
It is being the clay before Him with praise!
It is quiet, because He knows everything and brings everything.
It is prayers.

In Jesus, God bless.
pickles

A

AnandaHya

Prayer has to be the single subject that's talked about and advocated the most amongst Christian and other religious circles. But what exactly is prayer??? I know our many theories about the subject, but do we really and truly know HOW to pray to get RESULTS everytime? Andrew Womack did a radical teaching on the subject of prayer and suggested that much of the way christians have been taught to pray is wrong.

I personally feel that the greatest tragedy that could ever happen in the omniverse is wasted time. If it's just a second of wasted time, that is a tragedy. This may sound far-fetched, but I believe that if film was taken comepletely off of our eyes, to where we could really see into the spirit world at everything that's going on, we would see how valuable one second is!

Yet, it seems that so many of us pray incorrectly, because we "pray", a'wishing and a'hoping that somebody heard us? I know we say we have faith, but what happens when that faith is really put to the test. Most of us would fall apart. We have mastered the ART of prayer down to a science, but do we really have the tehnicalities (foundation) down to the tee? Honestly? Can we honestly and truthfully say that we know for sure that our prayers have been heard (and I'm not talking about wishful thinking).

I didn't grow up in the Holiness denomination, I grew up pentecostal. But I have heard many of the older croud talk about their experience in the sanctified church, where prayer was strongly enforced, along with H-ly Ghost baptism and water baptism. When you came to the altar to receive the Holy Ghost, you were told you had to wait for Him until it fell. But not a passive waiting--you had to work for it (I'm using Him and It interchangeably). The way you worked was by calling clapping your hands and calling the name "Jesus" constantly, as fast as you could until you started foaming at the mouth, while two altar workers stood on both sides of you--one telling you to "hold on!" and the other telling you to "let go!"..."Keep calling Him!" You were supposed to do this until you lost your voice and the only thing that could come out of your mouth was an unknown tongue or language.

I don't know if any of you have a book titled "Decieved: By The New Age" by Will Baron. But one of the things he pointed out was the popular method(s) of prayer that were used in many churches that people thought was of G-d but were really a sneaky satanic tool that had been used by the enemy to creep in and further his "new age" agenda. He gave his testimony, in the book, about how he received a "false Holy Spirit" at the altar of a Holiness (if I'm not mistaken on the denomination) church. He had the same experience as described above, until he receive his prayer language. Later on, after receiving the authentic HS, he claims, he realized that he had been possessed by a demonic spirit...and would have never known it, had not some of his family members been interceding for him... Even Bob Larson (the Exorcist) did a teaching on the new age and demonic spirits and said something to the effect that you can chant the name "Jesus" over and over and receive a demon.

So, I'm wondering, what does this also say about "Oh God!" prayers? I heard Perry Stone tell of one great evangelist that he knew who prayed for about 3 hours, much of his prayer consisting of "Ooooooh God", "Ooooooh God"..... and he had amazing results in his ministry. I'm wondering what he was doing was a form of chanting. The bible does say something, which Will Baron also pointed out, about not having vain repition in prayer.

i haven't read the other responses, just reading this makes me want to cry. they are putting demons in people in church under the disguise of being of God and Jesus. O LORD I did not realize that the world had degraded to this point.

it just makes me want to cry.

what you talk about the prayer you refer to is without roots, its like the seed sown in rocky soil that looks good but does not last for the person does not study the Bible for themselves. they prefer the regurtieated sermons of fellow sinners then the pure milk of the BIBLE. there is a story about Jesus casting a demon out that His disciples were not able to cast out. Do you know why they were unable to do it just in Jesus name?

because they needed to have prayer and fasting. Fasting is another misused word. but Read the WORDS OF GOD and learn the meaning of both and how GOD tells us to have our prayers answers. I will now be in prayer for the world and will not post for a while. I had not realized it was so bad, my heart is truly sadden and I must seek the guidance of God.

Isaiah 58

Fasting that Pleases God

1 “Cry aloud, spare not;
Lift up your voice like a trumpet;
Tell My people their transgression,
And the house of Jacob their sins.
2 Yet they seek Me daily,
And delight to know My ways,
As a nation that did righteousness,
And did not forsake the ordinance of their God.
They ask of Me the ordinances of justice;
They take delight in approaching God.
3 ‘ Why have we fasted,’ they say, ‘and You have not seen? (hypocrites, false teachers, demon possessed minnions of Satan)
Why have we afflicted our souls, and You take no notice?’

“ In fact, in the day of your fast you find pleasure,
And exploit all your laborers.
4 Indeed you fast for strife and debate,
And to strike with the fist of wickedness.
You will not fast as you do this day,
To make your voice heard on high.
5 Is it a fast that I have chosen,
A day for a man to afflict his soul?
Is it to bow down his head like a bulrush,
And to spread out sackcloth and ashes?
Would you call this a fast,
And an acceptable day to the LORD? (liars to your self and to your Lord GOD)

6 “ Is this not the fast that I have chosen: (if you are of God then this is how you should FAST)
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
When you see the naked, that you cover him,
And not hide yourself from your own flesh?
8 Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
And your righteousness shall go before you;
The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
9 Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer;
You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’

“ If you take away the yoke from your midst,
The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
10 If you extend your soul to the hungry
And satisfy the afflicted soul,
Then your light shall dawn in the darkness,
And your darkness shall be as the noonday.
11 The LORD will guide you continually,
And satisfy your soul in drought,
And strengthen your bones;
You shall be like a watered garden,
And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail

Last edited:
A

AnandaHya

Lord I hope this makes us stronger:

YouTube - Mandisa - Stronger

I know my doubts before in the morning but Lord, I will obey your will always

YouTube - Josh Wilson: Before the Morning

Dear Lord I hope our prayers will be accepted and you change your mind, but I will give your prophecy to those willing to hear, Repent, fast and prayer people, this is SERIOUS.

Dear Lord you know my heart and you know my mind. but I come before your throne to ask for intervention on their lives. they do not know what they do, Lord forgive them, send your grace to them and open their eyes so they might see, open their ears so they might hear, soften their hearts to my words and tell them I am annointed by your Holy Spirit and they should support my desire to ministry instead of setting up stumbling blocks and giving voice to the demons that torment me. I put my trust in You Lord. I put my marriage, my children, my life in Your hands not any Earthly authority. My trust is in the Lord and I shall not fear. I will not shut up and sit down because I am a woman. I will not shut up and not speak because of fear of being called crazy or demon possess. i will tell the world the truth: they have sinned and are need of confession, repentance, and forgiveness of sin. They have not listened to the signs and the miracles so now God has spoken out against the world.

HE says "Feel my wrath, so that you might believe that prophets walk amongst you and warned you yet you did not repent. You have stolen the widows inheritance. You have added to the burdens of the oppressed. you have judged falsely. you have ignored the cries of the weak and weary. So I turn my face from you. See for a time a world without the grace of God."

so you ask why of the Japan thing. that message was given last December. I've been praying it was just a lie, but we need to fast and pray people. that is our only way to regain God's favor. Will you be like Niveh and repent? or do I need to jump in a whale for three days first? i'm done with running away.

Lord be merciful and send forth Your grace like rain. In Jesus name, we pray, Amen

IF you want to know my story then just read it, i've already posted it:

http://christianchat.com/search.php?searchid=41673

LORD help your faithful children remain strong through these hard times.

S

Scotth1960

Friends, I think that prayer is always asking for God's will to be done in our lives. It's prayer without ceasing, and, if we fail to do that, prayer as often as possible. When we pray, it should be in our secret room, and to God the Father, according to the words of our LORD Jesus: "Our Father Who art in Heaven ...." and so on. In Erie / Scott R. Harrington

D

dmdave17

I recently read an article in a devotional magazine that advanced the premise that prayer should be about God, not about the person praying. The author pointed out that, throughout the Bible, the most successful prayers started out by praising God. In reading the Old Testament, I was struck by how often this was true. The only one that comes immediately to mind is Jeremiah's prayer beginning in Jeremiah 32, verse 17, "“Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you. You show love to thousands but bring the punishment for the parents’ sins into the laps of their children after them. Great and mighty God, whose name is the Lord Almighty, great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds. Your eyes are open to the ways of all mankind; you reward each person according to their conduct and as their deeds deserve. You performed signs and wonders in Egypt and have continued them to this day, in Israel and among all mankind, and have gained the renown that is still yours. You brought your people Israel out of Egypt with signs and wonders, by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm and with great terror. You gave them this land you had sworn to give their ancestors, a land flowing with milk and honey. (v. 17-22)

As you can see, it took Jeremiah a long time to get around to what he was asking for. I was struck by the logic of this approach. By praising God first and foremost, he was putting the situation in perspective (You answer my prayer only if You see fit), and setting the stage for having his request fulfilled by a sovereign, all powerful God.

I believe all prayers should begin by praising God, so that the person praying is reminded of just who he/she is praying to (bad grammar but you get my point ;) ). The prayer should be about Him.

R

Ramon

I had to go back and learn about prayer myself. I think there are some things that need to precede effective prayer. I think first is love of God and neighbor. Second I think Faith. Third I think Righteousness. I don't know what else. But I think really All the mentioned fruit of the Spirit, need to be manifest in a person who prays. I know prayer is a petition, but I think those three things will make our petitions heard.

As someone said, when a person prays just to fill their own lust, that person shouldn't think they will be heard. God is not blind as men are. I find it hard to pray myself, because I really just trust God knows everything I need. I don't like to ask him for temporary things. I just pray that he does what he will do, and to keep me from sin, and to help me to obey him. I don't ask him for perishable things, not even for food if I am hungry, or water if I am thirsty. We have to have pure hearts my friend. May Jesus bless you.

May 21, 2009
To pray is to talk to God. One can talk to God about anything or everything. There is no certain time the time is any time. I have gotten in trouble because I have told people straight up stop begging and whining to God. Have you ever had a begging whining person around you? It's sickening. You need to know who God is and you need to know who you are in God. Its not about you and you are good enough for God to listen to you, it's about God and how wonderful and powerful he is. And he says go boldly to the throne. He says to forgive others before you go. So if you haven't forgiven others why are you going to God unless it is to ask him to help you forgive. He says to follow his rules, are you? If you aren't why not? God is not in a box sitting on your dresser table for the times you want something. At all other times God should just stay in his box until the next time you want something. God is God all the time. People are running around doing what ever they want but they want God to be at there beckon call when ever they want. Thank God he is a God of mercy because we need his mercy and we should pray all the time for God to have mercy on us and on others. God knows we are not perfect and he answers prayer even if we are not perfect. One must trust God. Not pray then 2 seconds later start crying cause they don't think God will answer there prayer. Did you pray something that was in line with Gods will? Do you need a job and you pray for God to give you a great job but you won't get off your butt and go look for a job? We pray but we must do our part. Do prayers go unanswered because people have no faith? By your faith, by your faith it says in the bible. Faith is what is taught to babies and 40 years later people are still whining I don't have faith I don't have faith. One could spend the same amount of time saying I do have faith I do have faith. It doesn't matter what you feel. Just say I do have faith and God help me to know that I know that I know I do have faith and the faith is working all the time no matter what I feel. Live in it. Think it. Breath it. Be it. Trust God. Change your mind set.

Jul 30, 2010
God, cant be fooled, he knows whats inside the heart when a man prays. He may answer straight away, or he will make us wait. This is faith. He also may have other plans for us as he is all knowing. I dont agree with made up prayers. Prayers should be from the heart and not learnt. The only learnt prayer is the Lords Prayer, very powerful and a perfect example on how to pray. We should always pray in the name of Jesus. What does the bible say about praying;

Matthew 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Yes we would!

Yet, it seems that so many of us pray incorrectly, because we "pray", a'wishing and a'hoping that somebody heard us? I know we say we have faith, but what happens when that faith is really put to the test.
Yes, good question. Thats why a lot of prayers are not answered straight away. God is building us up. Teaching us to trust in him no matter what to strengthen our faith & trust in him.

Most of us would fall apart.
Yes, most, but not all!

We have mastered the ART of prayer down to a science, but do we really have the tehnicalities (foundation) down to the tee? Honestly? Can we honestly and truthfully say that we know for sure that our prayers have been heard (and I'm not talking about wishful thinking).
If we are worshiping in spirit and in truth, we should know that our prayers are heard.
God hears every prayer, as he knows the thoughts and intents inside a mans heart. It's whether or not he will respond to that prayer. If the heart is not right, then he will draw away.

This is interesting, I never knew this!

I don't know if any of you have a book titled "Decieved: By The New Age" by Will Baron. But one of the things he pointed out was the popular method(s) of prayer that were used in many churches that people thought was of G-d but were really a sneaky satanic tool that had been used by the enemy to creep in and further his "new age" agenda. He gave his testimony, in the book, about how he received a "false Holy Spirit" at the altar of a Holiness (if I'm not mistaken on the denomination) church. He had the same experience as described above, until he receive his prayer language. Later on, after receiving the authentic HS, he claims, he realized that he had been possessed by a demonic spirit...and would have never known it, had not some of his family members been interceding for him...
I'm not surprised. Satan goes into the churches as well. Thats why we shouldn't base our faith on miracles and such, but on the Word of God, truth, for many miracles are going to happen in the last days and the world will flock to them.

Even Bob Larson (the Exorcist) did a teaching on the new age and demonic spirits and said something to the effect that you can chant the name "Jesus" over and over and receive a demon.
Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

If we knew this scripture, we wouldn't be doing it! We were warned.

This is why spiritual knowledge of the scriptures is important. Never mind what men say, we should be reading for ourselves to see what God has to say about it all.

A very interesting read. I enjoyed your post.

While we are on the subject, I find that it is important to say the Lords prayer daily. Of course after I've said this prayer, I say my own personal prayer depending on whats occurred throughout the day. I especially pray for my spirit, and for God to deliver me & keep me from such things as hurt, anger, bitterness, hatred, pride, resentment, doubt, fear, lust & envy, and for him to replace it with the Gift of Love, self control, perseverance, spirtual wisdom & knowledge, and an extra measure of faith. I then pray for family members & friends and for help with situations as they arise. I thank him for everything, even if hard times occur because I know he is in control and knows what's going on behind the scenes.. I dont say this same prayer every day, but it is something I pray from time to time, and it comes from my heart, because I want my heart to be right. I have also had 'flat' days when my prayers are weak and I have weakened in an area and disappointed with myself. Yes I am baring all!

I have also found that when I say the Lords prayer, at times I find myself praying for many other things in that short space of time. It's like a prayer over a prayer, hard to describe but it flashes through my mind so fast like lightning and is so intense that not much gets left out. The prayers are faster than I can think. I dont know if anyone experiences this, but I feel it is the spirit making intercession.

I dont speak tongues, never have and I've never wanted to...Yes it is a gift I know, the scriptures say this, but something in my spirit doesn't yearn for it. I dont know why, but at the back of my mind I think it is for those reasons that you mentioned above and when people tell me they have that gift, and I know that they do not have the full truth,and know for sure that they are taught error, then I cant help but wonder what spirit they have in them. We have to be careful what we let inside.

If we stick to the Word of God, the truth, and have spiritual knowledge and discernment then we wont go after all these things that the world is so amazed by. We should be desiring deeper things of God & fill the spirit with the truth,and concentrate on the inner man that only God can see, and we will be protected. He will give us his gifts as they are needed.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
You know what? After reading all of these posts and scriptures.
Prayer is simply praise and thanksgiving !!!

God bless.
pickles

Dec 19, 2009
Prayer is when you speak to the Lord. However, it is important to always be listening for the Lord.